PDA

View Full Version : Love-Hate I-Cords?

RoseFairy
04-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi, so I just recently learned how to do an i-cord bind off and it's like the neatest thing. So why is it that a regular i-cord gives me trouble? For one thing it gets thicker and thinner sometimes, it never seems to even out after pulling and rolling, and it seems to take forever to knit. But there's some nice things I want to do with i-cords. I seem to have a love-hate relationship with i-cords. Does anyone else have these problems?

Jan in CA
04-10-2011, 12:16 AM
I don't have any problem with them, but they are time consuming.

Sounds like your tension is uneven which will probably be better as you practice.

RoseFairy
04-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't really consider it having a problem with them. I guess I'm not good with having even tension on the strand on back and it's kind of boring to knit an i-cord when I need a long length. My first stitch is always a bit uneven, but my other stitches are always nice. It's just that first stitch that looks odd.

ETA: If my yarn was thinner I'd use my cute little hand cranked i-cord making machine. Unfortunately the machine hates worsted weight and heavier yarns.

fatoldladyinpjs
04-10-2011, 08:20 AM
I avoid I cords like the plague.

Jan in CA
04-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about the first stitch. You can fix that with the tail. Usually the end is sewn to something or whatever anyway and it's never seen.

RoseFairy
04-10-2011, 02:35 PM
It's not just the very first stitch, I meant every first stitch to the rows/rnds are loose. I guess I should have said the first stitches? It's basically the stitches I knit after shoving the rows back over to be worked again, the ones that come after the strand of yarn is stretched across the back.

Jan in CA
04-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Oh I see. I bunch the stitches together and pull it fairly tightly across to help that.

RoseFairy
04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Hmm... well, I will practice with my next project. I finished the i-cord for my mini-bag and this is what I used it for. Dunno if you can tell from the pictures but the i-cord used for the closure has looser stitches in some places. The i-cord bind off is a bit different so doesn't really look as uneven.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5222/5606678529_39febc32d3.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5607263080_f87688e746.jpg

Jan in CA
04-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Beautiful! I can't see it and chances are no one else will either. It's hand knit and hand knits are never "perfect".

Wanda Witch
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't see a thing wrong. I think your work is really beautiful. I have yet to try i-cords and am wondering how I will do.

RoseFairy
04-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks, I'm pretty happy about how the bag turned out. It's a smallish bag that I'm going to take with me when I walk my dog. Anyway, for all the complaining I did about i-cords, it's really not that bad. I just get super bored when I need to knit a long one and it being looser in some stitches. I suppose because I knitted it I can spot 'imperfections' easily.

salmonmac
04-10-2011, 06:29 PM
The imperfections really don't show. It's a perfectly lovely bag!

Breezed
04-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Your bag is great! I can't see any flaws in your i-cord. I have no problems with knitting i-cords but I can't say I enjoy it; it's quite boring.

RoseFairy
04-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Your bag is great! I can't see any flaws in your i-cord. I have no problems with knitting i-cords but I can't say I enjoy it; it's quite boring.

I totally agree on it being boring. Have you tried the i-cord bind off? I actually think it's kind of fun. It's not as boring as a regular i-cord to me, and it's already attached to the project so no sewing on <3 I don't get excited if there's sewing/finishing work involved, tend to avoid it actually. That's why I knit my dog's sweaters in the round, so I don't have to seam anything.

Daylilydayzed
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Your work is very pretty!I knitted small Icords in a bag I made to help keep a small acrylic sheet from sliding around . I picked up 3 stitches in each corner and knitted the Icord still it would reach diagonally across the corner and then I knitted the last three stitches normally to bind off and wove in the end.

RuthieinMaryland
04-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi! :waving:

That's an awesome piece of work and looks totally professional!

I-cord can be very useful although I can see why it's not necessarily considered "fun" by everyone.

I think I know what you're talking about with I-cord bind-off but do you have a source I can look over to make sure I'm thinking of the right technique. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ruthie :yay:

salmonmac
04-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Here's one video of I-cord bind off (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEbaZ6COOYk). I think it looks very useful!

Snugglebugmom
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I think your I-cord is very even, I wish mine looked that great! Well done on the purse, it's lovely!