PDA

View Full Version : Sock Toes ...

Debbie
04-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I will be spending a lot of time in front of my computer watching videos ... I have two pair of adult socks, a pair of baby socks and a Christmas Stocking ... that all need the toes grafted. Something I have done before, but I have to watch the video stitch by stitch to do it right.
One pair of socks and the Christmas Stocking also need "afterthought heels" ... which I have never done. I am pretty sure that will take step by step watching, also !!!

Jan in CA
04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Kitchener stitch?

I just say "knit purl, purl knit" as I do it. After you do the set up it's the same every time.

Set up - slip your darning needle in purl wise on the front needle, and then knit wise on the back needle. Don't remove the stitches just go through them.

Now -
Front needle - slip the needle into the first stitch knit wise and slip it off the needle. Slip the needle into the second stitch purl wise and leave it on the needle.

Back needle - slip the needle into the stitch purl wise and slip it off the needle. Slip the needle into the second stitch knit wise and leave it on the needle.

It's always the same and I know the first stitches on the needle will always be removed and the second stitch stays on. To remember as I do it I say "knit purl, purl knit" referring to the way the needle goes into each stitch. It takes practice, but eventually you remember w/o looking. ;)