PDA

View Full Version : Basics of how to knit

kiwiham
04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
I dont know hot to knit it i havent looked at any videos yet but if u have any advice for a new knitter i would love to here it.:thumbsup: :-P :wink: :knitting: :sun: :star:

Jan in CA
04-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Welcome to Knitting Help!

All you need to start is some size US 8 or 9 needles, some smooth, light colored yarn and the videos. Ask us if you need help with anything as we can give you more links and help if you need it.

Now, have patience and practice, practice, practice! Don't expect it to be perfect first time. Just keep going and your tension will come. :thumbsup:

suzeeq
04-22-2011, 07:55 PM
In addition to what Jan said, don't rip out and start over if you find a mistake, keep going. Ripping out over and over again leads to more frustration than the original mistake. If you have a question, come back to the boards and we'll help you figure out what went wrong.

fatoldladyinpjs
04-22-2011, 10:24 PM
In the beginning, cast on about twenty stitches and just practice the garter stitch (knit stitch). Just knit every row. If you want a project to knit, a scarf made with just the knit stitch is an easy one.

RoseFairy
04-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Aside from what was mentioned previously, I'd recommend using the long-tail cast on. Sure it may look complicated, but it's one of the commonly used cast on. Also when you're learning to knit try not to pull the yarn too snug, that leads to tighter stitches which are harder to knit into. As the others have said, it won't be perfect, neat, or even, so don't give up and keep going. You'll get better eventually, so just work on getting your basics straight. You can ask for help if you get confused, so good luck!

On a side note, I found my garter st swatch from when I was learning how to knit, my tension was uneven in spots and bind off was also uneven. But my cast on looked so much more even >.< Maybe it was because I was made to practice the long-tail cast on for several minutes? I also saw my St st swatch too, but it seems to have disappeared.