PDA

View Full Version : Which needles are better?

ABC's Mom
04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I have a hard time with metal needles being too slippery. The yarn store I go to carries Addi, Squares, and of course Bamboo. While I like the Bamboo the cord on the circulars is really stiff. I looked at the Squares and loved the soft cord on the circulars, but didn't know how slippery they would be to knit with. As they are quite expensive I hate to spend that much money and have them sit in my knitting bag!!
Any suggestions out there?

suzeeq
04-24-2011, 07:01 PM
You can soften up/straight the cord on the bamboo. Dip the cork only into very hot water for a couple minutes, then hold out straight as they cool. You might need to do this a couple times, but it should make them easier to work with. Or click the Knitpicks options ad at the top of the page. You can get a starter set that has 3 tips (1 each of wood, metal, acrylic) and a cord, or you can order the tips separately with a set of cords. The Harmony wood and acrylic Zephyrs aren't as slick as the nickle tips.

Jan in CA
04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Yep, I was going to suggest getting the Try It set from Knitpicks, too. :thumbsup:

Personally I don't want to fool with dipping my cables to soften them up. I use the nickel plated Options, but I've heard many times that the Harmony are great.

suzeeq
04-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Since she has the bamboo, I figured she can try it anyway...

Jan in CA
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Since she has the bamboo, I figured she can try it anyway...

You're right. If you already have the needles see if it works for you.

ABC's Mom
04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
You can soften up/straight the cord on the bamboo. Dip the cork only into very hot water for a couple minutes, then hold out straight as they cool. You might need to do this a couple times, but it should make them easier to work with. Or click the Knitpicks options ad at the top of the page. You can get a starter set that has 3 tips (1 each of wood, metal, acrylic) and a cord, or you can order the tips separately with a set of cords. The Harmony wood and acrylic Zephyrs aren't as slick as the nickle tips.

Have you tried the "Square" needles by Kollage? I am just starting to build my needle collection so am open to trying whatever. I can't use the Bates metal needles at all! The stitches just slid right off, yet the bamboo ones don't slide quite enough and I have to push/pull the stitches along as I knit.

suzeeq
04-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Nope, I don't really buy expensive needles; most of mine are Bates, Boyes, Clover bamboo and a few Aero needles in metric sizes.

fatoldladyinpjs
04-26-2011, 09:11 AM
You might want to try the Knitpicks Harmony wood. They have a lacquered coating that slips like metal but keeps the stitches from falling off. The cords have a memory and I'm not untangling them. They work great even when I've had the cables coiled inside the plastic sleeve for a while.

cutestmommy85
05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
it depends on the yarn you use. If you are using a stiff course yarn it would be better to use metal needles because it will slide easier for you. If you are using a very soft yarn then it will likely be better to use bamboo and it won't slip off as easily. I do not recommend plastic needles. They are flimsy and bend and I just don't like them.

aqueous18
05-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I prefer bamboo needles as well. I just use the Takumi brand they sell at Michael's or Joann's. I find that Joann's has a larger selection of sizes. I thought I was a failure with DPNs until I tried the bamboo as opposed to the metal!

Breezed
05-17-2011, 09:33 PM
I think metal is too slippery as well. I have the acrylic knitpicks options, and I love them. They actually do not bend and are not flimsy. I also have a few Clover bamboo fixed circulars and I really like them.