PDA

View Full Version : Lambs

NebraskaGal
04-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Nobody ever told me how precious little sheep are. They are still a tad hard to lead (the first time they got halterd was on Friday), but when they are calmed down they are the sweetest barnyard animal I have ever owned. Nobody tell my horse that I said that :wink:

I just purchased two ewe lambs, I will be able to shear them both in the spring and I will have two whole fleeces :cheering:

I am also going to be milking them! I used to have dairy goats, but I LOVE to spin and I love the fresh milk, so I thought sheep would be more my cup of tea. I don't expect to get alot of milk, but with two of them I think I will get enough to provide for my family.

I think we all (shepards) could take a moment to tell our sheep how much we appreciate them, they deserve it!

Jan in CA
04-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Lamb/sheep milk? Does that taste the same as cow milk?

Lambs are so cute!

NebraskaGal
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Sheep milk does does not have as much flavor as goats milk and I think the cream level is a little lower as well. I cannot honestly give you a comparison to cows milk because I have never had whole cows milk. If you have ever had whole farm fresh goats milk compared to the stuff you can get at the store, you will understand that you can't really know what the milk of an animal taste like untill you have it fresh and whole.

Sheep milk is rich in many vitamins and minerals. It also has more cheese making properties than cows and goats milk (meaning you can make more cheese with an amount of sheeps milk than you can with cows and goats milk).

Another reason I like sheep better than goats is the fact that I never really got along with goats, they are SOOO stuborn. Sheep are more timid, and while it takes longer to tame them, once they are they will follow you like any sheep would follow a shepard. No offense to any goat lovers out there :wink: And goats have horns and know how to use them, not too friendly with the children.

Jan in CA
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
That's very interesting! I don't care for cows milk, but I avoid dairy in general now (severe lactose intolerance). I drink soy milk which I'm used to and like.

You'll have to take pictures of the little lambs. ;)

sanswill
05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I love little lambs too! I think we have about 12 this year, and there is the cutest little black AND white one. I am in love with him, he is so precious.