PDA

View Full Version : chilean wool yarn that's gritty

corky
04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I bought some wool yarn from southern Chile on a recent trip. Its sheep wool that is varied in color and size. It is less "finished" than what you would buy in a typical yarn shop here, with bits of whatever vegetation the sheep was lying in before it was sheared. The bigger bits can be taken out easily, but there are smaller gritty bits that fell on the floor as I was winding the yarn into a ball. I asked the seller/knitter if she prepares it before using it and she looked at me as if I were nutty and said, It is what it is. She had sweaters in the shop which she had made from the same yarn, and they did not seem gritty or lose little bits of grit when shaken. I wonder whether a sweater made with it, without some cleaning (or shaking vigorously) would feel gritty and leave bits of crud on the wearer. Any experience, advice?

salmonmac
04-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I've undone hanks of yarn before, tied them very loosely in 6-8 places and washed them by hand (just schlumped them up and down in the sink in some soapy water). Rinse and leave them flat to dry. You may need to do that so that you're not covered in grit while you're knitting.

corky
04-29-2011, 12:52 PM
thanks for the help. I tried several different ways. The schlumping in water method worked well, but it took a really long time, with lots of changes of water. It was hard to be patient enough to get it cleaned up "enough" (My definition of "enough" began to change after awhile) I also tried bending over the bathtub and whacking a hank back and forth vigorously against the narrow sides of the tub. Very rewarding since I got to move more, but also see the results of grit landing on the bottom of the white (ish) tub. The best was a combination of both, whack first, then schlump a few times. My entire bathroom smells like sheep.

salmonmac
04-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, yes... but how is the sweater? I admire your method!