PDA

View Full Version : felting

elsamargaret
05-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Having trouble felting. I used patons wool, washed according to directions, came out all fuzzy, not good. elp

Jan in CA
05-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Wool does tend to fuzz up. You can shave it with a sweater shaver.

hyperactive
05-04-2011, 03:18 AM
I found that when I put only one piece (or 2 slippers in my case) into the washing machine for felting, they do not come out quite right. But if I put in an old towl, they get the propper friction to become felted.

You can refelt things, too. If the size is not yet right, maybe the felting process is not quite done yet. Put the piece back in and redo the cycle (if it still is too big!)

The last bit of fuzz you can shave as Jan said.

If you have no sweater shaver (not everybody will), you can use sharp scissors: Lay your piece flat somewhere, fluff up the fuzz a bit, lay the scissors flat to the surface, just a hair above the actual surface and cut carefully. Needless to say that a) you have to be carefull doing this and b) you have to repeat that one step on every bit of your piece, so it will be some effort.

Some fuzzyness is not bad on felt, though, so do not become over-concious about it.

Woodi
05-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Have not felted much, but read every post on felting.....I'm wondering: when using a towel in the dryer with the felted object, perhaps the towel picks up and removes some of the fuzziness?

Antares
05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
From my experience, you only WASH felted items, and then you let them air dry. Warning: Drying them in the dryer can make them shrink excessively!

You add the towel (or a pair of blue jeans) to the washer along with the item(s) to be felted. This helps the washer properly agitate your felted pieces.

Good luck!

RoseFairy
05-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Dryers can also super fuzz your felt items. I tossed my recent finished messenger bag into the dryer, it didn't shrink, but it fuzzed up. The reason it didn't shrink in the dryer is probably because I washed it 2 full times in the washer. I was actually hoping the bag would shrink some more in the dryer, instead I ended up with a super fuzzed bag. Also I washed and dried my bag with other items, the only thing that attracted the fuzz was the bag and slippers I was felting. The other items were fuzz free.