PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Am I wrong or the pattern?

MRSCHAD
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
This is the “JUST DUCKY SOCKS” PATTERN FROM P2DESIGNS I have had no response from them to my email. Here are the directions.

With CC cast on 26 onto 3 ndls. Join, being careful not to twist.
Rnds 1-6: * k1, p1. repeat from * around. Clip CC
Rnds 7-12: with MC {k6, p1, k6} 2x
Rearrange sts on ndls as follows:
7/6/13, k across ndls 1 & 2. heel flap will be worked on ndl 3

This is for the heel flap:
1. * with yarn in front sl 1, k1 repeat from * across.
2. sl 1, p across
repeat rows 1 & 2 for 12 total heel rows. End having completed a purl row.

Turning the heel:
Row 1: k7, ssk, k1, turn
Row 2: sl 1, p2, p2 tog, p1, turn
Row 3: sl 1, k3, ssk, k1, turn
Row 4: sl 1, p4, p2 tog, p1, turn
Continue in progression until all sts have neeb worked.
7 sts on the ndl.This heel flap is where I am having a problem.

Can anybody help me? The count isn't coming out right at all.

RochesterKnitter
05-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Let me see if I understand.

Needle 3 has 13 sts on it, and is the heel.

Row 1 and 2 of the heel instructions seem okay. You will be slipping the first and last st of each row because it is an odd number.

then under turning the heel it says...
row 1: k7, ssk, k1, turn
This row only accounts for 10 sts and has you dec to 9
row 2: sl 1, p2, p2 tog, p1, turn
This row only accounts for 6 sts and has you dec to 5
Row 3: sl 1, k3, ssk, k1, turn
This row starts with 7 and dec to 6
Row 4: sl 1, p4, p2 tog, p1, turn
this row starts with 8 and dec to 7

Yeah, this is completely wrong. If I had to guess, I suspect that row 4 is correct, and that each prior row should have one more st, till the first row which has 13. Therefore, row 3 would k5, and row2 would p6, and row 1 would k7. And you would need 2 more rows to get to 13.
So, I would try
row 1: sl1, k9, ssk, k1, turn
row 2: sl1, p8, p2tog, p1,turn
row 3: sl1, k7, ssk, k1, turn
row 4: sl1, p6, p2tog, p1, turn
row 5: sl1, k5, ssk, k1, turn
row 6: sl1, p4, p2tog, p1. (7sts)

This of course, assumes that the ending st count of 7 is the correct one. See if the next part of the pattern matches with the now 7/6/7 sts on your 3 needles.

Jan in CA
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
There were a few other knitters who had problems with the pattern, too. I hope the previous poster was able to help you.

I just made some (posted in What'cha Knittin'), but I used a different pattern.

salmonmac
05-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Alternatively, since you want to turn the heel here, you could follow the directions for rows 1-4 and then:
row 5. Sl 1, k5, ssk, turn
row 6 Sl 1, p5, p2tog (7sts)

MRSCHAD
05-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Whew! Sure glad I wasn't losing my mind. I never heard of slipping first and last stitches with odd number of stitches! I will try your suggestion. Again, thank you so much.

Jan, I would love to get a different pattern for this. Would you tell me where you found another one?

fatoldladyinpjs
05-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I struggled with heel turns, too. I used this video recently when I made baby socks. They turned out beautifully. The video coincidentally has 13 stitches in the heel so it should be easy for you to follow along. I don't count stitches when I do heels. I use a circular needle and put half the stitches on one needle, let them rest, and work the other half for the heel. The number of stitches doesn't matter for this. The instructor has you doing 4 short row stitches on each side. I thought the sock heels look a little pointy so I only do three on each side. This is a no-wrap short row heel and doesn't have any holes. Simple! If you want, you can try it with scrap yarn. Just cast on 13 stitches on straight needles , knit one row, purl on the wrong side, and try these instructions out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu5YAKsAEpY

This is the same short row shaping that you would use for the toes on toe up socks. The only difference is that you would use a provisional cast on for the toes. I do the provisional cast on, knit one row, purl one row, and go into the shaping. Once you're done, you remove the provisional cast on contrast yarn and knit in the round for the length of the foot. You then do the same short row shaping for the heel, knit those stitches and the ones you've let rest in the round in stockinette for about one inch, and knit the top sock ribbing.

Here's the baby socks pattern I just did. I like this one because it has the foot measurements listed. It's almost fool proof. I did mine one at a time, though.

http://lynnioknits.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/tuml2x_babysock_2sizes.pdf

Jan in CA
05-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Jan, I would love to get a different pattern for this. Would you tell me where you found another one?

It's a free pattern on Ravelry.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/duck-feet-4

If you aren't on Ravelry you can join for free. I didn't follow it to the letter though. There are other duck feet patterns on Rav, too.

MRSCHAD
05-07-2011, 11:33 PM
I am new here and am so glad I found this. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I can see I will learn a lot here.:muah:

MRSCHAD
05-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Is anybody familiar with knitting with 2 circular needles instead of 4 dp? :knitting:

salmonmac
05-08-2011, 08:19 AM
There's a video for small diameter circulat knitting on 2 circs in the Free Videos tab at the top of this page under Advanced Techniques, Small Diameter circulat knitting, that can help you get started with this technique.