PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaid Gift Ideas

aqueous18
05-07-2011, 09:54 AM
So I'm playing around with the idea of making knitted gifts for my bridesmaids. Our wedding is on a budget and there are 7 of them! I found these 3 cute patterns for little bags on Ravelry, but unfortunately the patterns all have a lot of errors. Anyone have any ideas or links to patterns for gift ideas? Several of the girls are from very warm climates, which is why the bags came into play.

Breezed
05-14-2011, 10:08 AM
I think the little bag idea is good. Also, you can make very lightweight, lace type scarfs/stole/shawl, that can be worn even in warm weather climates.

Jan in CA
05-14-2011, 11:41 AM
All of them have errors? If you know the error and can fix it then that isn't a problem. There are lots of other patterns you could choose from, too. The bag does seem like a good idea. :thumbsup:

aqueous18
05-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah, it's like obvious math errors. It would say to start with 4 stitches CO. Then to KFB each stitch making 8 stitches, then KFB, k1 repeat which leaves 12 sts. It then says K1, YO, PM, K1, PM, YO, K1 and to repeat that four times. But that's 5 stitches and to repeat it 4 times means you'd need at least 20 stitches correct?

Things like that, also it'll say things like repeat this until last 4 sts, then YO, K2, K2tog...doesn't that require 5 sts?

I've altered them to work and they still look ok I guess. I finished 2 of them, working on the third. I will post pictures of them soon.

salmonmac
05-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Actually, you shouldn't count the yo as a stitch until you complete the row. So the first example you gave uses 3 sts for 4 repeats (12 sts) and the second example uses 4 sts, the k2 and the k2tog.
Maybe you can look at some of those bag patterns again. They may work after all!

aqueous18
05-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't understand how you don't count the YO. Don't you need a stitch to do it?

salmonmac
05-15-2011, 12:20 PM
You do a yarn over on a knit row, by bringing the yarn to the front between the needles, up over the right hand needle and to the back. Then proceed to the next st, a knit st in your examples. A yo won't use up any of the sts on your left hand needle but it will create a st on the right hand needle.

lauren85
07-04-2014, 06:57 AM
The 'best' wedding present (http://www.pureessencegreetings.co.uk/) I got at my wedding was a photo frame. I got crockery and some saucepans that I'd asked for but of the unexpected bits the frame was the nicest surprise.
Having said that if they've asked for money then perhaps something re-usable it could go into would be best.

knitcindy
07-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Maybe you could knit little bags and then fill them with pot-pourri to make sachets. OR use thin ribbon-type yarn and size 50 needles and knit a simple triangle shawl. VERY nice and breezy - even for warm weather people!!!

Just some other ideas!!
knitcindy

Jan in CA
07-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Uh, this is a really old post. I'm sure she's married and figured out the gifts by now. Lol

XtopherCB
07-05-2014, 08:44 PM
maybe it's like the movie, "the 5-year engagement"... :)

Jan in CA
07-06-2014, 12:42 AM
maybe it's like the movie, "the 5-year engagement"... :)

:lol: ha! Didn't think of that!