PDA

View Full Version : Help with increases in pattern

chrismcl19
05-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Hi I'm new to knitting and would like some help understanding the pattern I am working on.

I have to work 27 rows inc 1 st at each end of every alternate row and this inc has to happen in the g-st border. The pattern is then k4 p4 alternately to create a kind of check effect. Does the increasing mean the border gets larger or am I to adjust the patterning. In which case how?

Confused!

salmonmac
05-09-2011, 06:06 AM
What is it you're making? And can you post a link to the pattern?
Take a look at the picture and you should be able to tell whether the border is getting wider or the check pattern is increasing.
If the increases are in the border, increase one st in from each edge. If the increases are in the check pattern, increase in the opposite st to the first block (if the first block is a k4, increase with a purl st) and then continue that increase st on the following alternate rows till you have block of 4 sts. Do the same at the end of the check pattern.

chrismcl19
05-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi, it's a jumper for my daughters little dog, there is no link to the pattern. It's hard to tell by the picture but I don't think the border does get wider, I have to do the increases in the border though so I think it's the check pattern that is increasing.
I think I get what you're saying about increasing the pattern so thank you very much for that advice and I'll give it a try.

salmonmac
05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
OK, if the border doesn't get any wider then the increases have to be made between the border sts and the check pattern on each side. Sounds like a cute idea, good luck with it.