PDA

View Full Version : First row

Cindee
05-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm knitting on circular needles and I'm wondering if the cast on row is considered the first row. I know this question is in another thread, but my question is, if I want the right side of my work on the outside and the pattern is stockinette, is my cast on considered the first knit row?

salmonmac
05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Directions for long tail cast on for example consider it the first row of knitting. I usually cast on and then proceed to the first row of the pattern regardless. I don't think in most cases, that it makes any difference.
Remember that for circular knitting in stockinette, all the rows are knit.

suzeeq
05-19-2011, 02:10 PM
The cast on is almost never considered the first row, no matter which one you use. When you join to work in the round, the purl bumps from the LT cast on will be on the inside anyway.

NausetKnits
05-19-2011, 05:15 PM
You shouldn't consider your cast on row the first row of knitting. Cast on and then proceed with your ribbing (or whatever your pattern calls for).

Mamaoso
05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
If you use Long tail cast on it's considered the first row.

suzeeq
05-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Some people consider it 'the first row' but it really isn't, so it's more of a preference than a knitting rule. In this case, when she joins to work in the round, the purl bumps will be on the inside anyway.

kittykins
05-20-2011, 02:10 PM
I've been doing the long tail cast on for what seems like forever, and I've never considered it the 1st row.