PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pattern

dovetail
05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
I am trying to continue with a Bernat pattern "Worsted-Ripple Throw"
and I continually get stuck on the end of "Row 1". The pattern has you cast on 261 stitches, knit 3 rows and then row 1 is to follow the pattern, repeating 8 stitch directions until the last 9 stitches. I keep ending up with only 7. When I sat down and calculated the # of stitches against the directions, it just doesn't add up. Can anyone help me figure out this pattern?! Customer service hasn't returned my call (yet) and 2 local knitting friends are away.

salmonmac
05-22-2011, 07:52 PM
The repeat section on this pattern is 10 sts (k3, k1, k3 and 3 sts for the slip1,k2tog,psso). I think if you were consistently doing something wrong, you'd be off by more 2 sts at the end. It might help to mark off repeats with stitch markers: 2sts, marker, 10sts 25 times with a marker every 10 and then the final 9 (a total of 261). Then you can at least check and make sure you have 10sts between the markers in each section.
(The repeat section increases 2sts by making 2 yo's and then decreases 2 sts with the slip1,k2tog, psso so that all balances out.)

dovetail
05-22-2011, 11:23 PM
The repeat section on this pattern is 10 sts (k3, k1, k3 and 3 sts for the slip1,k2tog,psso). I think if you were consistently doing something wrong, you'd be off by more 2 sts at the end. It might help to mark off repeats with stitch markers: 2sts, marker, 10sts 25 times with a marker every 10 and then the final 9 (a total of 261). Then you can at least check and make sure you have 10sts between the markers in each section.
(The repeat section increases 2sts by making 2 yo's and then decreases 2 sts with the slip1,k2tog, psso so that all balances out.)

Thx so much for your reply. Doesn't the psso count as a decrease also since a stitch is essentially dropped from row 1, making repeat sections of 9, instead of 10? I have done row 1 at least 5 times and always come up with around 7 remaining stitches at the end. Whether I count each repeat as 9 or 10 shouldn't matter since I keep repeating until the last "9" stitches. I am wondering if I should just drop the initial k2tog. I understand that the increases and decreases even out so it seems like the initial k2tog is what is throwing things off by 2 stitches?

salmonmac
05-23-2011, 06:07 AM
The psso does count as a decrease, that's why the sl1,k2tog,psso counts as 2sts decreased, one decrease in the k2tog and one in the psso.
The k2tog (-1st)at the beginning of the row is balanced out by the 2yo's and the ssk (+2-1=+1) in the last 9.
I'm afraid that if you leave out the first k2tog, you'll encounter problems with the repeat pattern in later rows. If you have the completed row 1 on needles now, look at the sts and count them off as 1st (the k2tog), 25 repeats of 10sts, and then 10sts (this is the way the numbers will look after completing the 1st row).
See if there isn't a random error in the 25 repeats. When I do this, I call the sts by name, yo's, k3, slk2togpsso to make sure I've got the correct ones in each repeat. It's usually the first set up row that is so painful. Once you have this started, the other rows will be fine.

(It might help you to see that the pattern works by casting on 21sts, do the beginning k2tog, one repeat of 10sts and the last 9sts. If that works, then the problem is just somewhere in the 25 repeats of 10sts.)

dovetail
05-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Okay, I follow you. I did the 21 stitch trial and then a second row and remained with 21 sts. My last question, as I just can't get it yet, is how do the repeat (25) psso sts not reduce the total number of sts by that much? I see how the 1st k2tog and the last 9 sts balance out (2 decreases with k2tog, ssk and 2 increases with 2 yo's) and the repeat section balances out with 2 increases (yo's) and 2 decreases (Sl1,k2tog). That leaves the 25 psso sts? I have only been knitting since October, so I hope that explains why I don't understand. I will just have to knit away and make sense of it while I go along. (By the way, I am knitting this throw with just one yarn color as it is my preference, however, I can't imagine how much more complicated it would have been for me!)

suzeeq
05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
If the repeat section has 2 YOs and one sl k2tog psso, that incs 2 sts and decs 2 sts. Your example of 2 YOs and 2 decs (sl1 k2tog) isn't 2 decreases, the k2tog only decs 1 st, the psso makes the second dec. I think if you carefully work the repeat and get that first row done, you'll see it does work out. Salmonmac is right, the first row of a lace repeat can be a bugger, even with simple lace; you have to get everything in the right place for the rest of the rows to line up.

dovetail
05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
If the repeat section has 2 YOs and one sl k2tog psso, that incs 2 sts and decs 2 sts. Your example of 2 YOs and 2 decs (sl1 k2tog) isn't 2 decreases, the k2tog only decs 1 st, the psso makes the second dec. I think if you carefully work the repeat and get that first row done, you'll see it does work out. Salmonmac is right, the first row of a lace repeat can be a bugger, even with simple lace; you have to get everything in the right place for the rest of the rows to line up.

Thank you both so much for your help. I just figured out by doing the row again and carefully watching, that a Sl1 is not a decrease. (before I got back to this thread).

suzeeq
05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
No, the slip 1 can be part of a dec, but it's not a dec by itself. It's the st that gets passed over the k1 or k2tog in decs. Then it makes a dec.