knittermar
05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Anybody knows what ragg is in French?
Like Ragg socks, or Ragg wool

Thanks

RochesterKnitter
05-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Here's what I found...

1) Ragg wool is a sturdy wool fiber that is most often spun into yarn that is used for gloves and other "rugged" products.

2) I believe ragg is just untreated nearly raw woven wool. You see it typically in hats and gloves.

suzeeq
05-25-2011, 03:54 PM
It's usually a mixed ply undyed yarn - white or off white with other natural colors like brown or gray.

knittermar
05-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone, I just can't find what word is used in french to translate Rugg.

suzeeq
05-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Do you mean 'rug', as in a small piece of carpet? :?? Or a type of yarn?

JudyD
05-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Some words remain the same for both languages and "Ragg" is one of them. If you said "laine Ragg" to a French person he/she would more than likely understand what you said. ("Laine" is the French word for wool/yarn.)

Judy

knittermar
05-26-2011, 07:58 AM
thanks Judy, I think you might be right, I should leave it as is. I also saw the term : Laine effilochée or Laine chinée. Have you ever heard of those? Are they the same as Ragg wool?
Thanks again :)

knittermar
05-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Its really Rugg! not like the carpet. It's a type of wool, it's usually gray. Ragg socks, ragg clothing

JudyD
05-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Rugg and Ragg are not interchangeable. If you're talking about Rugg...it has nothing to do with knitting. A Rugg blanket is squares of wool fabric put together by crocheting the squares to each other. Like Ragg, Rugg has no French translation.

"laine chinee" is the easy one...flecked yarn, as in the tweedy yarns.

"laine effilochee" is a bit more difficult because the same word can mean more than one thing in French; however, the verb "effilocher" means to unravel, which can also mean frayed or worn. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that it refers to novelty yarns, the furry stuff, that looks frayed.

As far as I can tell, neither one has anything to do with Ragg wool.

Judy

knittermar
05-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks Judy, for spending all that time to help me, I guess there is no correct words for Ragg in french! Thanks again :)

fatoldladyinpjs
05-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Try typing this web address just as written: translate.google.com. This will translate from one language to another. From what I see, ragg is ragg in French.

suzeeq
05-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Some words which may be of foreign origin stay in their original form, and that seems to be the case here.

KatzKnitter
06-01-2011, 03:47 AM
I have a Ragg hat and gloves, bought when they were first featured at LLBean about 35 years ago. The gloves are doubleknit with a Thinsulate liner and a leather palm. I believe the fiber also includes some nylon for strength, but a fast internet search might do.