PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't get it?! Drops B13-18 Jacket

Snugglebugmom
05-30-2011, 03:32 PM
I am so frustrated!! This is a lovely jacket (pattern to be found here (http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=b13&d_id=18&lang=en)), and I want to knit it for my soon-to-be little boy. There are 7 pages of pictures of finished projects on Ravelry, and nobody reports that the pattern stinks, doesn't make sense, or was written by a sadist who loves to see innocent knitters suffer.
And I can't figure it out. That stupid little chart (chart M1) with the 3 knit-2-togethers, followed by 6 yarn overs, followed by another 3 knit-2-togethers. And on the way back, I am supposed to knit 17 purls stitches over those same stitches. 17?? Not only does that not make sense to me (how on earth do you knit two pearl stitches into one k2tog??) but the number of stitches I end up with does not mesh with the cast-on stitches. I cast on 163 stitches and have to fit a multiple of 12 stitches plus 10 stitches for the garter stitch edges. Even a math-challenged gal like me can figure out that that does not add up.
If there is anyone that would be willing to take a look at the pattern and help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! I am about to take pattern, yarn, and needles out to the backyard and set the lot of it on fire.

salmonmac
05-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Chart M1 (over 17sts) wants you to k2tog for 3 times, yo for 6 times and then k2tog for 3 times. You'll decrease 6sts with the k2togs and then increase 6sts with the 6 yo's so you'll end up with 17. What isn't clear from the chart is that there must be a k1 between each yo. You can't really literally place the purl sts in row 2 over the k2tog but that's just a limitation of charts. As long as each repeat starts out with 17sts and finishes with 17sts you'll be ok. Purl those sts on the next row.
For the total number of sts minus the 10 total edge sts, you have 153 which is 9 repeats of the 17 in chart M1.

Snugglebugmom
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you so much! I am going to cast on fresh new stitches and try again!