PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a beginner pattern

leogirl
06-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi! I've never knitted anything before and am really wanting to learn. I'm looking for a pattern for a long scarf that is truely a beginner project and is clear on what you need. I haven't even bought anything yet! Thanks so much!

suzeeq
06-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi and welcome to us. Have you looked at patterns on the Patterns tab? Those are mostly suited for beginners. I would advise against a scarf as a learning project though - they can take a long time when you're first learning, and can get boring. You can do a 'sampler' to learn on, looking at the videos here to see how to do basic stitches, increases and decreases, and the Tips page has some on how to do ribbing and seed stitch. That would give you something to work on without the pressure of having to have everything 'perfect' or getting too boring.

MerigoldinWA
06-03-2011, 05:31 AM
The most "beginner" scarf would be just a plain garter stitch (knit every row) scarf. It will also look very nice. I'd recommend picking out some yarn you like and it should be smooth yarn in a medium to heavy weight. Something not too dark is good as dark stitches are harder to see. Something really pretty that has some variations in the color make it more interesting. Look at the skein of yarn you choose (and you might need more than one if they are small). Get a needle the size recommended to go with the yarn or even a size larger for a scarf. Try casting on enough stitches to make the width you'd like and knit a few rows. How does the width look now? Too wide... take it out and start over with fewer stitches. Too narrow... are you sure? Narrow with get finished faster. :lol:

salmonmac
06-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Here are some ideas (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/search.php)for beginner projects including some scarves with simple variations to keep it interesting. (You may have to type "beginner" into the search box for the patterns to show up.)

fatoldladyinpjs
06-03-2011, 11:00 PM
You could knit a simple potholder in garter stitch. You would use a number 8 needle, cast on 40 stitches. Knit until it's square. You'd knit two of them and sew them together with yarn to make them thick so they'd work well getting things out of the oven. Wood or bamboo needles may be easier at first. The stitches don't slip off the needle as easily. You can switch to metal needles later if you prefer them. I think you would get discouraged with needles smaller than a size 8 when you're knitting because it would take so long. Larger needles are harder to handle when you're a beginner. Keep the packaging and the receipt. If you don't like the needles, you can always take them back and get something else.

leogirl
06-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll check it all out and see what I come up with!