PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Knoob

shortybiscuit
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi all. I'm new to knitting and I'd like some advice. I'm looking for needles and their are so many types. I'd like to get all the sizes in one kit. I've seen a complete set in bamboo, however I currently own a few metal needles. Are the bamboo needles good? Also, I see some needles are circular. What is the benefit to those? Are there any other items I would need to build a comprehensive kit?

hyperactive
09-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi!
If you are really new to knitting, you should start getting needles with the projects you tackle. If you get a different type a few times, you will know if you like them.

We all have our favorites. I mostly love metal needles (partially they are hollow ones to save weight), but I do have wooden ones and bamboo that are great, too. I do not fancy plastic / acrylic needles. My personal taste.

I love circular needles. I do not own straight needles (those that come to an end) other than the ones I inherited from my grandmother lately. I do have double pointed needles, though.

The uses: You can do pretty much anything you can do with straight needles (I have not really seen any purose that will not work out.)
In addition IF the diameter is right you can knit tubluar things like cowls, hats and so on on circulars. But the diametre has to fit. There are lots of different ones, and lots of projects so that is a funny puzzle.
You can use rather long circulars for magic loop or single loop ( other techniques for working in the round when the diametre does not fit)

Double pointed needles are used to work in the round (like socks, hats and such) and you use sets of 4 or 5 (customary to certain regions) to form the circle with all but one of them and use the remaining one as working needle.

You can tell, I love my circs :o)

Other knitters will tell you other stuff. Everybody has their opinion.

I have a big arsenal of needles, also because I often work on several projects at once and keep them kicking around on the needles.

I did find my perfect "one for all" with the Knit Picks set of circulars with removeable cables (needle tips and cables seperate). They are also sold under "knit pro" - there is at least one other maker of these kits and that is Addi.

(and there are the "Rainbow Denise" that are advertised on kh.com
http://www.knittinghelp.com/shop/products/rainbow-colored-denise-interchangeable-needles - another adjustable system)

The Knit Pick / Knit Pro come in rosewood, composite wood, acrylic and metal (which I have). and you can get a basic set (price in the US? no clue) and enlarge it as you need.

But that does not say that I do not use any other needles any more. I keep buying needles every once in a while, too. So: A happy selection of different things is a good thing. Start your collection.

redbedhead
09-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi all. I'm new to knitting and I'd like some advice. I'm looking for needles and their are so many types. I'd like to get all the sizes in one kit. I've seen a complete set in bamboo, however I currently own a few metal needles. Are the bamboo needles good? Also, I see some needles are circular. What is the benefit to those? Are there any other items I would need to build a comprehensive kit?
Many people love the Bamboo needles. They say thye are "grippier" so that the yarn does not slip off the needle as easily. However, I do not like the bamboo needles. I knit very tight and the yarn won't slide on them for me, making it really hard to knit. Also my fingernails have a tendency to gouge the wood and then it snags the yarn. I also do not like acrylic or plastic needles because they have a tendency to bend or break on me. BUT I LOVE metal needles.
I have 2 sets of Boye interchangable circular needles. I love them for making socks, blankets, and sideways scarves. Anything that has a large number of stitches is better to do on the circulars because there is not enough room on straight needles.
I would say just buy needles as you do a project. Buy needle made from a variaty of materials so you can find what you like best. My preference may not be your preference.

shortybiscuit
09-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks! I am fond of the metal needles thus far. I'll give the circular a try. I'm currently working on a blanket with 88 stitches and the needed really is getting crowded. I switched to the continental stitch this morning. Its sooo much quicker.

suzeeq
09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Yep, with circular needles, 88 sts will fit on it easily without squishing. Many of us don't use straights at all any more, the circs can be used to knit flat with as well as in the round.

shortybiscuit
09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've not gotten a circular set of needles yet. I've been to AC Moore and they didn't have any kits in stock. A customer in the aisle suggested that I get a few things to start out and so I did get a row counter that slides on to the needle, locking stitch markers, and point protectors. I really like the stitch markers since the blanket I am making is has a 10 stitch knit/perl repeat so its much easier to keep track of when to make the swtich to the next stitch.

suzeeq
09-26-2011, 07:32 PM
You don't need a kit, some needles and yarn is all you need to get started. The markers can make it easier when you're starting out.

margrue
09-26-2011, 11:35 PM
I'd hold off on getting a kit of many sizes. You have gotten used to metal needles, if you need a different size for your next project try a bamboo or wood or acrylic needle and see how you like that. Try a project in the round ( a simple beanie) and get a circular needle to learn how to use that technique.
After a while you will know if you prefer one kind over another. Then you can decide if you want a set of interchangeable needles or just want to keep adding to your collection.

SDK
09-27-2011, 01:05 AM
My first knitting needles were sharpened wooden pencils. Not fancy, but they worked. =) I love the flexibility of interchangeables, but then I'm a circular fan and the ability to pick gauge and length without searching all over Creation for needles when I start something new is major bonus-prizes for me.

fatoldladyinpjs
09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Knitpicks has a starter set of their interchangeables where you can try a metal, acrylic, and wood needle to see if you like them before you buy. I would hate to see you spend a lot of money on a whole set just to discover you don't like them. Case in point: my brilliant idea to become an artist. Bought all kinds of art books, made an easel, and bought a set of acrylic paints. They're gathering dust in the closet. They were purchased right after a bus trip to an art museum. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I just don't have the talent for it.

Jan in CA
09-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree. If you are a new knitter just order the Knitpicks Try it set first and see which material you like working with most. You won't have enough cables in it to make some types of things, but you can certainly learn a lot with them. :thumbsup:

http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/TRY_IT_Needle_Set__D90589.html

Here is another sampler set from another online store, but the needles/cables are almost identical because they are made by the same parent company. I love my KP nickel plated and harmony needles, but I want to try them. ;)

http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-needles-knitters-pride-sets/knitters-pride-comby-interchangeable-sampler-set/

If you find you don't like any of them then you won't have spent a lot of money to find that out. I kind of think you'll love them though! :teehee: