View Full Version : Crochet Lace

10-27-2011, 08:10 AM

I have a book called Crochet Lace with complete diagrams. I really love this book but I'm not understanding the patterns very well. In a lot of the ones I want to make there is (N) a certain number of times. How do I know what (N) is? I must have read this book cover to cover a few times now and am still really lost lol.

Thank you to anybody who can help

10-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Can you provide 2 or 3 lines of a sample pattern with this in it? Perhaps (N) is a number to be chosen by the maker (the crocheter), depending on how large/long she wants the project to be. But seeing the lines of a sample pattern may help make it clear.

10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Can you quote the directions around the part you don't understand? That might help us figure out what this means.

10-28-2011, 11:17 PM
I think I may have figured it out. *(ch 5, dc1) 2 times, (N) 17 times, dc 7, ch 1, dc 1, (N) 1 time.

I think it means do the instructions in the parenthesis that many times?

10-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes, if "N" is given elsewhere, or if you've used it to stand in for something else.

In crochet *and* knitting, instructions inside pairs of * * or ( ) or [ ] are meant to be repeated however many times the instructions say:

1) *ch4 sc* 6 times....

2) (ch4 sc) 6 times....

3) [ch4 sc] 6 times...

all mean the same thing.

Sometimes, more complex patterns will use sets of these punctuation marks inside other sets. If so, each punctuated set has its own number of repetitions.