PDA

View Full Version : Lion Brand Homespun - a question

GrumpyGramma
11-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Once upon a time, long, long ago I crocheted with LB Homespun yarn and said never again! It was horrible to work with. It snagged on the hook, I couldn't undo stitches, it was a mess. I finally said, it'll do and managed to finish the scarf I'd started. This story did not have a happy ending. Is it less horrible for knitting? I think it looks cool but if it knits like it crochets, I think nothing looks cool enough for that.

suzeeq
11-23-2011, 06:59 PM
A lot of knitters find it's too awful to knit with, but can crochet with it fine. The trick is to use a larger needle or hook and hold it loosely so it doesn't bunch up. A size 11 needle or an L or M hook should work fine.

GrumpyGramma
11-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Maybe I'll give it a try. I have some large needles I could use. Thanks for the info.

Ingrid
11-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I HATE it. If it was the only yarn left in the world, I'd have to stop knitting. Hmph!:shifty:

DogCatMom
11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I HATE it. If it was the only yarn left in the world, I'd have to stop knitting. Hmph!:shifty:

What she said. For both knitting and crochet. Horrible stuff.

DCM

WolfWalker
11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I've used it once to knit a glove for my dog's retractable leash. We love it, it keeps our hands warm in the winter while out walking the dog. Truthfully, I didn't have any difficulties with knitting it. You just have to keep a loose tension with it, and make sure you're knitting through the entire stitch and not splitting the yarn.

GrumpyGramma
11-23-2011, 10:50 PM
If it was the only yarn left in the world, I'd have to stop knitting. Hmph!

:noway: That's how I felt about it for crochet. :zombie: I've noticed some yarns that are nasty for crochet seem to knit more easily so I was hoping someone might think it was easier for knitting. Somebody must be using it, if nobody bought it they'd stop putting it in the stores, wouldn't they? :?? Maybe there are giant sized stashes of LB Homespun out there? :shrug:

Does anyone here use it?

GrumpyGramma
11-23-2011, 10:53 PM
You just have to keep a loose tension with it, and make sure you're knitting through the entire stitch and not splitting the yarn.

Hmmmm.....That, I think, was the problem I had with crocheting with the stuff. What size needles would you suggest, WolfWalker?

lgoddard
11-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I have used it for prayer shawls using either a size 10 or 11. I didn't have a problem with it.

Antares
11-24-2011, 07:32 PM
I've made miles and miles of scarves out of Homespun using size N and P crochet hooks, and once even a size Q. I had very few problems with snagging for those size hooks, and the scarves came out gorgeous (and were quick to make, too)!! Also, the very first big knitting project I did was using Homespun (another scarf--imagine that!), and I used size 13 needles with no problems.

Big needles and loose tension are the key, and, yes, it works up beautifully!!

I know everyone has a preference based on experience, and you're certainly welcome to despise the stuff if you want to, but I've never had a bad experience with it--probably because I used such large hooks and needles.

suzeeq
11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
but I've never had a bad experience with it--probably because I used such large hooks and needles.

Same here for me, size 11 or 13s work it up just fine.

Lighting57
11-24-2011, 08:26 PM
How does this washup?
If you fringe it, does it unravel and tangle when washed?

Antares
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I always carefully handwashed it without any problems. But any fringe will become tangled if you agitate it too much.

GrumpyGramma
11-24-2011, 10:44 PM
I think I'll give it another go. It's so long ago I don't recall what size hook I used, maybe I just needed to go larger. I figure the worst that will happen is I won't like it...I do think it's worth another try.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

:-P

ArtLady1981
11-25-2011, 08:48 AM
I've used Lion brand Homespun three times: twice for pullover sweaters and once for a lapghan. Using Addi Turbos, the knitting was very easy and pleasurable. The yarn knit up beautifully. The colors are so gorgeous.

END OF HONEYMOON!

After the fact, the yarn wears HORRIBLY. It stretches HORRIBLY. (Very bad for sweaters!) The yarn pills, snags and becomes twiggy, with longish scraggles sticking out everywhere! After a month of use, the sweaters were unusable. The lapghan looked 100 years old.

I hate Lionbrand Homespun. It's a huge waste of time, money and hopes. :pout:

ArtLady1981
11-25-2011, 08:57 AM
How does this washup?
If you fringe it, does it unravel and tangle when washed?

After washing, the fringe becomes a train wreck. It becomes thin at the tips, begins to disintegrate, and pills...just like the rest of whatever the fringe is attached to. The entire whatever will become a nightmare. The more you use it, and wash it...the worse it becomes. The yarn is awful.

Lighting57
11-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I can understand though why people not familiar with it or new to knitting and crochet are drawn to it. It comes in such pretty colors and is so soft.

Artlady does the RH cotlin washup better? I still have 11 skeins and it looks the same to me, just smaller in size.

ArtLady1981
11-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I can understand though why people not familiar with it or new to knitting and crochet are drawn to it. It comes in such pretty colors and is so soft.

Artlady does the RH cotlin washup better? I still have 11 skeins and it looks the same to me, just smaller in size.
I haven't tried RH Cotlin, but if it's a cotton-linen blend (?) it should have great stability. I've never heard anything negative about cotton-linen blends.

As for washing RH cotlin...I dunno. Cotton-linen might shrink...it might wrinkle...but read the label and follow the advice carefully.

I hated to rant so LOUDLY about Homespun, but I had such a negative experience with it...I just had to. I've never felt so badly about a yarn in my life...even the cheapest of the cheap yarns do better than Homespun.

The two sweaters were GIFTS to my son and his wife. :pout: I could die. I've learned most of my lessons the hard way, unfortunately.

GrumpyGramma
11-25-2011, 06:46 PM
I hated to rant so LOUDLY about Homespun, but I had such a negative experience with it...I just had to. I've never felt so badly about a yarn in my life...even the cheapest of the cheap yarns do better than Homespun.

The two sweaters were GIFTS to my son and his wife. I could die. I've learned most of my lessons the hard way, unfortunately.

Thank you for your rant, that's what I really want to know. If I go to the trouble of making something I want it to last long enough to be worth bothering over. Thank you for sharing your experience with a new knitter. :thumbsup:

Wool and wool blends are out for me, mostly, because people I make things for are allergic including my GKs, and if I can't hug them because of what I'm wearing I won't wear it. Because of this, I'm on the lookout for whatever yarns I can use.

I'm glad everyone is willing to share their experiences with Homespun and tell me what they think. Thank you.

GrumpyGramma
11-25-2011, 06:54 PM
I always carefully handwashed it without any problems

According to the LB site, it is machine washable and dryable. Would drying it in the dryer help with the stretching problems? I rarely hand wash anything myself and am afraid I would forget and throw it in the washer just like any other acrylic item. Hmmmmmmmmmm........................

suzeeq
11-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah, if it's machine washable and dryable, you should do that. Some items will stretch if they're washed by hand and laid flat to dry if they're supposed to go in the machines. Superwash wool is another one that can stretch a lot if it's not put in the dryer.

Daylilydayzed
11-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I used Knit Picks Cotlin yarn to knit a shopping bag and it is still going strong. No wear can be seen on it. Cotlin yarn is very great to work with. I recommend using it over Homespun.

Lighting57
11-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Artlady, I meant Red Heart Cot'n (not Cot'lin). I was thinking you had used it to make wash clothes with in the past. Never mine. My aoplogizes.

Anyway it looks just like the Homespun, but not as thick. I don't know what to make with it. It was given to me. I have tried crochet and knitting. Neither appeal to me with this stuff. Maybe a much larger hook or needle is needed with it as well.

GrumpyGramma
11-25-2011, 08:33 PM
So now I'm looking at CotLin yarn. Is it suitable for clothing? I want to order the Try It needle set and figure I might as well go for a $50 order and get free shipping. I think I must get some superwash sock yarn. Yes, I really think I must do that. :wink: :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
If I want to try a new yarn like that I just buy a skein or two. If I don't care for it I can still use it for a charity hat something. If I do like it then I know I can get more.

I don't care for LB Homespun myself. I'm not a fan of yarn where it's hard to see all my hard work...the stitches. I know that a lot of people do like it and like fun fur, etc. They just aren't for me.

suzeeq
11-25-2011, 09:45 PM
The RH Cotton yarn shouldn't look like homespun at all, I don't think. Isn't it a smooth yarn with a twist? Homespun is sorta bumply like a boucle.

justplaincharlotte
11-26-2011, 12:30 AM
So now I'm looking at CotLin yarn. Is it suitable for clothing? I want to order the Try It needle set and figure I might as well go for a $50 order and get free shipping. I think I must get some superwash sock yarn. Yes, I really think I must do that. :wink: :thumbsup:

Oh that $50 free shipping offer will be the death of me! ;)

Haven't tried the CotLin yet, GG. But I have yet to try a fiber from them that I don't like. Been too busy with my sz.3's and the Felici self striping yarn, which is scrumptious self striping superwash sock yarn. It would be perfect to work with your Try It set for a lace scarf... or get some sz.3s and go for socks for yourself. With super wash being wool, at least no one hugs your feet. ;)

Jan in CA
11-26-2011, 12:39 AM
I thought I bought some of Cotlin, but I was wrong..I got the Simply Cotton (haven't tried it yet). I do believe the Cotlin is a smooth yarn though and nothing like Homespun.

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Oh that $50 free shipping offer will be the death of me!

Shipping on the Try Its looks to be about $4. Maybe I better stick with just that for now. I've been drooling over the sock yarn, thinking I could try a sampler. Then I need small circs to knit it up into socks, and I was sooooooooooo tempted by the square circs mentioned elsewhere. I'm really glad knitting is such an inexpensive hobby! :roflhard:

Jan in CA
11-26-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm really glad knitting is such an inexpensive hobby! :roflhard:

It is?! I guess relatively speaking this is so... not like my husbands sailboat that's for sure! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
11-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Artlady, I meant Red Heart Cot'n (not Cot'lin). I was thinking you had used it to make wash clothes with in the past....
No worries. I used Reynolds SAUCY mercerized cotton for a white cabled sweater, and also so hand towels, fingertip towels and face cloths. It washes up EXCELLENT, even the white cabled sweater...and even though the labels says HAND WASH...I toss it in the washer and dryer, VOILA, perfect! I was desperate to get this sweater clean, as only a washing machine can do...so I tossed it in there on gentle.
It worked fine. If it hadn't, I was gonna have a lot of white dishcloth yarn! ROFLOL.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4145/5070362063_d7befea264.jpg

"COTLIN" is by Knit Picks. Click here. (http://www.knitpicks.com/cfyarns/yarn_display.cfm?ID=5420162)
It's a 70-cotton/30-linen blend, and they claim it's entirely machine washable.

I've also used Lily Sugar 'n Cream cotton for dish cloths, face cloths, and baby blankets, and baby sweaters.
I don't think it performs as nicely as Reynolds SAUCY, worsted or dk.

Lily Sugar 'n Cream fades a lot. It holds stains, too.
SAUCY doesn't fade at all, and stains come out real good.

Here is my white SAUCY (worsted) cabled cardigan:
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1075/1376103240_c14d976f25.jpg

So my final recommendation, from my very limited experience, is: SAUCY is better for garments,
whereas Lily Sugar 'n Cream might be okay for things like dishcloths, etc.

I recently purchased a boatload of KnitPicks new cotton called DISHIE. I bought red, lime, beige and cream. I'm looking forward to using it for kitchen and bath stuff. I'm waiting for my order of 3" wide nylon netting (http://www.knitsandbitsbylinda.com/nylon-netting.html) from Linda, due early Dec. I plan to knit up some more scrubbies and spa cloths for the bath. Her 3" nylon netting comes in a dozen colors, and they never fade.

Lighting57
11-26-2011, 10:26 AM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k510/LightningSJ/FSOT%20items/P1000666-1.jpg

This is the yarn I was talking about. You can see that it is a lot like the Homespun. It isn't as thick, but still a #5. It is a polyester, cotton, & acrylic blend. The name Cot'n is misleading sense there is very little cotton in it. I did not mean to lead the thread discussion into another area, away from the OP's question.

Eleven skeins were given to me. I pulled it out last night and tried to crochet with a K hook, knitted with a 10.5, and even tried the Tunisian crochet, but none of these appealed to me. You can't see your work, etc. It might do well for weaving, but it's not for me.

I'll give it to a thrift store or anyone that wants it and can pay the mailing cost.

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2011, 10:37 AM
I did not mean to lead the thread discussion into another area, away from the OP's question.

No problem, I'm learning more and more about yarns and love it! I'm glad you included the picture of the yarn, I see what you mean now. Thanks.

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2011, 10:44 AM
ArtLady, that sweater is lovely! Machine washed and dried? I think I need some of that yarn.

I just noticed your location (duh!), do you know of any good yarn shops in the area? Kent, Auburn, Puyallup....I don't want to drive too far. I'm south of Auburn. I don't go to Seattle, btw, unless I really, really have to.

The one time I stopped in at Renaissance Yarn I wasn't impressed.

Lighting57
11-26-2011, 10:54 AM
All of Artladies sweaters are to die for. She does such professional work; probably can do it in her sleep too.

I have always stayed away from cotton for sweaters etc., because they stretch and fade; especially any I have ever bought retail.
I figured if I knitted one it would do the same. So thanks for the info on Saucy Artlady. Your sweater is beautiful.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2011, 11:39 AM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k510/LightningSJ/FSOT%20items/P1000666-1.jpg

This is the yarn I was talking about. You can see that it is a lot like the Homespun. It isn't as thick, but still a #5. It is a polyester, cotton, & acrylic blend. The name Cot'n is misleading sense there is very little cotton in it. I did not mean to lead the thread discussion into another area, away from the OP's question.

Eleven skeins were given to me. I pulled it out last night and tried to crochet with a K hook, knitted with a 10.5, and even tried the Tunisian crochet, but none of these appealed to me. You can't see your work, etc. It might do well for weaving, but it's not for me.

I'll give it to a thrift store or anyone that wants it and can pay the mailing cost.
Since you received the yarn as a gift, or freebie, here it's what you could do with it: using a US17 or US19 needle, cast on about 150 stitches and knit every row as knits, aka "garter stitch", and continue til you have a nice sized lapghan!

With the minimum of at least a US17 needle, you'll have a lacey affect, lots of daylight showing through. A US 19 would be even better.

The yarn is a pretty colorway! But no fringe! This yarn won't like fringe!

Lighting57
11-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but with a size 10.5 needle, I did not like the holes. I think it's best that I part with this one.

I hate to know though that the person that originally bought this paid $44.90 for it plus tax.

I'll post it later on the Sales/Swap forum unless any of the readers here want it.

Jan in CA
11-26-2011, 02:27 PM
This is my preferred yarn for dishcloths, but I do want to try out Dishie. I do think a non mercerized yarn may be better for the kitchen. Don't care for S&C though. I'm always game to test a new one so I'll check out the Reynold's Saucy. If Dollyce says it's great that's good enough for me!

The colors stay true and the yarn is soft and beautiful IMO. It would also make beautiful garments.
http://tahkistacycharles.com/t/yarn_single?products_id=184

WolfWalker
03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
I think when I knit the leash muff I used size 7 needles.....or somewhere thereabouts. :^)

fatoldladyinpjs
03-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm with you, Ingrid! I won't touch the stuff with ten foot knitting needles.

Jeremy
03-06-2012, 10:43 AM
When I saw the title to this thread I thought your question was how much gasoline does it take to burn it. There's got to be something its good for but its not knitting.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Lion and I have issues. One is the quality of their yarns. They split. I don't have to tell you about Homespun. Imho, it should be discontinued. Their website is not user friendly. Even with the advanced search, they give you stuff that has nothing to do with what you're looking for and crochet patterns when you click that you only want knitting ones. When I sent an email complaint about these issues, the response from them was, Use the advanced search. Already did that, no good. The hidden message I got in my response from them? Tough. That's just the way it is. Deal with it. A company that treats their customers like that doesn't need my business.

GrumpyGramma
03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
When I saw the title to this thread I thought your question was how much gasoline does it take to burn it. There's got to be something its good for but its not knitting.
LOL If gas weren't so expensive......

fatoldladyinpjs: I'm not very impressed with their yarns in general either. Looking for a pattern on their site is ridiculous.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-06-2012, 10:08 PM
fatoldladyinpjs: I'm not very impressed with their yarns in general either. Looking for a pattern on their site is ridiculous.

Come on, what are these site designers thinking? Something is wrong when I type in baby sweater knitting pattern and get crochet ones too, plus women's shrugs, dish cloths, and purses. They have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. When you can actually find a pattern, some of them are okay. But some look homemade and ridiculous with this pom pom yarn stuff. It's something a clown would wear. Some of those patterns are not cool. It's something somebody would wear that screams, Look at me! right before the guys in the white coats come to take you away.

GrumpyGramma
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM

Come on, what are these site designers thinking? Something is wrong when I type in baby sweater knitting pattern and get crochet ones too, plus women's shrugs, dish cloths, and purses. They have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. When you can actually find a pattern, some of them are okay. But some look homemade and ridiculous with this pom pom yarn stuff. It's something a clown would wear. Some of those patterns are not cool. It's something somebody would wear that screams, Look at me! right before the guys in the white coats come to take you away.

Yeah, what are they thinking? I've used some of their acrylic yarns because they are locally available and fairly cheap, but that's it. I joined a KAL for a sweater but didn't tell them I wasn't using Lion Brand yarn. The person(s) leading it didn't seem to know much about what they were doing. If I'd had to go through the LB site to find the pattern, it would not have happened. I look at some of the things there and wonder who would need a pattern for that anyhow? Many of them belong on the "What Not to Knit" list! http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108159

I succumbed and ordered 2 balls of CotLin from Knitpicks today, gotta see what it's like; I've read good things about here. I was thinking to use them to learn double knitting, now it occurs to me the colors might bleed. I hope not.