PDA

View Full Version : FO - MRI Hat

Jan in CA
12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I call this the MRI Hat. I had to have an MRI in November and the only way to keep myself from freaking out was to stay in my head and not think about it. So I "knit"...in my head. The more complicated the better to distract me so I "worked" on some stranded knitting. This is what I was seeing. I went to my knitting group a few days later and started on this. I think it came out pretty cool if I do say so myself! Need to write it up now so I don't forget what I did.

Plymouth Encore from my stash. It's actually a creamy sort of color and dark brown. I took the pic with my phone.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6461691109_0451780978.jpg

Antares
12-05-2011, 04:54 PM
That's a beauty of a hat, Jan, and I must say, you were very productive in your attempts not to freak out.

I'm afraid if I "knitted in my head," I'd be dropping stitches left and right and eventually implode. Better to just do it with my hands!

justplaincharlotte
12-05-2011, 05:04 PM
How impressive, and a wonderful hat to top it off! I'm with Antares on what would happen if I knitted in my head...

ChatyKathy
12-05-2011, 05:27 PM
I know about them MRI's but at the time of mine I was just trying not to cough...hope it went well and I would love that pattern. It sure is pretty and know some here would love it too! Great job!

Olha
12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Such an interesting idea... I am laughing at your jokes, however I read that if you even envision doing something you get better at it. So, for example, one controlled study showed that people who practiced playing an instrument and just thought about it both demonstrated progress.

And Jan, cool hat!

JudyD
12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Jan:

Your head knits real good and even more impressive given the circumstances...very nice hat!!!

Judy

Jan in CA
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks! I figure someone is going to ask so the result of the MRI was 4 pinched nerves in my lumbar spine. Yikes. :zombie:

ArtLady1981
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
It's a perfectly perfect hat, Jan! I admire those who can do stranding so evenly, and smoothly!

Jan in CA
12-05-2011, 07:43 PM
It's a perfectly perfect hat, Jan! I admire those who can do stranding so evenly, and smoothly!

Thank you! It just takes practice and a hat is the easiest way to get that IMO. I started out by just playing with patterns on hats. It's not perfect..there is a spot toward the beginning where I wasn't paying attention I guess and it got a little wonky, but the rest of it's pretty good. You just have to stretch the stitches on the right needle out when you do the color that is stranding across to give you some play in the strand. It can stretch on someone's head now and not be tight. I think I'd feel comfortable doing it on a sweater now, but it's a long time coming. Fun learning though!

Antares
12-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for posting the results of your MRI. I realized after I had hit the submit button that I had neglected to ask that most important question. :aww:

I hope you were able to get unpinched--that sounds quite painful!!

nonny2t
12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
luckily, my MRI was on my knee so my head wasn't enclosed in that dreadful thing, but I forced myself to try and sleep through it. The worst thing, was having to go to the bathroom about halfway through it. The hat is terrific looking and a great job to stave off the MRI panic blues! Sorry about the injury and hope you can now get some relief that you know what it is.

Jan in CA
12-05-2011, 08:58 PM
No, there won't be much they can do with the pinched nerves. I'm lucky in that they don't really cause much back pain at all. The result of them is all in my lower legs..tingling, numbness, hot and cold, less flexibility in my feet. The weirdest thing is the hot/cold...I can have one foot extremely hot and the other icy cold. Or half my foot hot and the other half cold. So bizarre! I've still got some more doctor stuff so we'll see what else they find. :zombie:

salmonmac
12-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Virtual knitting during an MRI, that's so resourceful of you! And the actual hat is excellant. I'm sorry for the reason for the MRI but I hope knowing the cause helps and that there is a treatment that will make pinched nerves bearable.
(You were imagining wooden or bamboo needles and not metal ones in the MRI, I hope?)

Jan in CA
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Virtual knitting during an MRI, that's so resourceful of you! And the actual hat is excellant. I'm sorry for the reason for the MRI but I hope knowing the cause helps and that there is a treatment that will make pinched nerves bearable.
(You were imagining wooden or bamboo needles and not metal ones in the MRI, I hope?)

It does help knowing. When weird things are happening and no one knows why you start feeling like an episode of Mystery Diagnosis. :teehee:

Ohhhh! You know, I don't know what needles I was imagining...they probably were my nickel plated though. Good thing I didn't let my imagination carry me too far! :lol:

Ronda
12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Love the hat! Love even more that you mentally knitted during your MRI! I just had an MRI of my shoulder recently, and it took a lot of control to not freak out in that thing! I'm not the expert knitter that you are, so I decided to be thankful. I spent my entire 20 minutes going over in my head all the things I am thankful for and praying for other people. It got me through!

Hope you're feeling okay!

offgridgirl
12-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Nicely done!! I love the pattern for a friend as she is having a MRI next week. Speedy healing prayers to ya! ;)

Jan in CA
12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
I haven't had a chance to write up the pattern for it yet. It's just too busy now so it'll have to be sometime later. I'll try and get it done during the winter season.