PDA

View Full Version : uneven garment = help!

bstiles
12-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I am using a pattern that calls for 1 sl st, k next st and leave on needle, bring yarn two front and k next two stitches. Second row is sl st, purl remaining stitches. Repeat pattern.

My problem is that my garment is longer on the side where I start the purl rows than the side where I start the knit pattern. What am I doing wrong, please?

My name is Barbara Stiles and I am new to the forum so I don't have enough posts yet to ask anyone privately. And thanks in advance for any help. Merry Christmas.

suzeeq
12-24-2011, 09:31 PM
When you slip the first stitch of every row it spans 2 rows, but since you're doing that on every row, it shouldn't be noticeable. You should be able to post more now, like a link to the pattern or a picture so we can see what's going on.

bstiles
12-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Thank you SuzeeQ, and I will take you suggestion. It is the Deborah Norville BIG BUTTON WRAP

salmonmac
12-26-2011, 07:41 AM
"I am using a pattern that calls for 1 sl st, k next st and leave on needle, bring yarn two front and k next two stitches. Second row is sl st, purl remaining stitches. Repeat pattern.

My problem is that my garment is longer on the side where I start the purl rows than the side where I start the knit pattern. What am I doing wrong, please?"
Welcome to KH. I'm not sure why you're knitting is longer on one side than the other (longer, not wider?) but the pattern (http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/67436.aspx) for the Big Button Wrap (at Knitting Daily, free to join) is slightly different from the pattern you quote:
Sl 1, * k1 and leave on left hand needle, bring yarn to front and purl this and next st tog, k1; rep from * across.
This pattern won't increase any sts as you go across the knit row whereas the pattern you quoted will. Is this part of the problem?