PDA

View Full Version : What needles should I use, what alternative patterns can I use

mitty
12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a lot of 100% kid mohair yarn from capricorn mohair ltd (was an unfinished project, pattern lost); there is no needle size, tension square details on ball band. I have contacted the firm in Melton Mowbray but have had no respose (may have gone out of business), I have also asked for help from a knitting magazine (suggested I contacted the maker (see previous text) and 2 knitting shops - all to no avail. Can any of you please help? What can I knit with it? On what needles/tension?
I do not want to have to give the wool away to a charity shop as I still love the colour.:knitting:

Ingrid
12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Have you tried www.yarndex.com ? They have listings for current and discontinued yarn.

If that doesn't help, try knitting up a swatch with medium needle and see if you like the fabric. If you do, then you can have an idea of what gauge you're looking for in a pattern. There are some patterns at www.ravelry.com that are tagged with gauge.

Jan in CA
12-27-2011, 05:19 PM
I looked on Ravelry and if it's called Silky Mohair from Capricorn Yarns then this is the info -

Name - Silky Mohair
Fiber - 100% mohair
Weight - Light fingering (3 ply)
Yardage - 142 yds (130 meters)
Unit Weight - 50gms (1.76 ounces)
Gauge - 23 sts = 4 inches
Needle size - US 3 (3.25 mm)

This is the only one listed that was 100% mohair.