PDA

View Full Version : My First Scarf and Hat

LoveBugAngel
12-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I did both of these this month. My very first time doing "ribbing" also my first time working with circular needles and double pointed needles.
My hat isn't perfect but I am pretty proud of both projects. Now I am currently working on my first pair of socks. I don't think I have done too bad of a job :) I'm so addicted now!

justplaincharlotte
12-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Congratulations! :cheering:

Jan in CA
12-27-2011, 08:46 PM
They look beautiful! :thumbsup: Welcome to Knitting Help!

LoveBugAngel
12-27-2011, 09:29 PM
thanks so much! Nice to meet you both! I have just messed up my socks lol I thought I knew what I was doing but clearly I don't. I'll have to take it to the knitting store tomorrow and get help.

salmonmac
12-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Oh, you've done lovely work on the scarf and hat! You're right to be proud of them both. Welcome to KH from a fellow addict.
Maybe we can help with the socks?

nonny2t
12-28-2011, 11:50 AM
You did a great job!:inlove:

Antares
12-28-2011, 12:19 PM
These are beautiful! And you should be very proud of them!

I know you'll get the socks figured out, and we'll be seeing pictures of them soon, too.

LoveBugAngel
12-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks love bugs! So great to meet you all. Funny thing, when I showed the ladies at the store my projects, they pointed out I was purling backwards! But since I did the same thing all the way through with both projects it's not noticeable unless u pull on the scarf or hat and examine the stitches lol

Antares
12-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm glad those ladies said you were "purling backwards" rather than "purling incorrectly" because although it may be backwards to them, if you like it, it's not "wrong"!

It all depends on how you want your fabric to look. So if YOU are happy with how it looks, it doesn't matter whether anyone else thinks it's wrong or not! It's YOUR project and you have the complete freedom to make it look any way you want AND to use any method you want.

Some people may think they're the knitting police (not saying these ladies were, mind you), but in actuality, there's no such thing!

justplaincharlotte
12-28-2011, 03:38 PM
thanks so much! Nice to meet you both! I have just messed up my socks lol I thought I knew what I was doing but clearly I don't. I'll have to take it to the knitting store tomorrow and get help.

Nice meeting you too! LOL on messing up socks, it's the story of my knitting life! :lol: Though I have one OTN and nicely progressing now, I have two different ones waiting to be unravelled and rewound to start over again. Sometimes I can figure out what went wrong and fix it, and when I can't I'll set it aside and rip it out later. :aww:

Have you taken a look at any online videos for knitting socks? These two are my favorites: for socks in general (awesome step by step class!); http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/Kelleys_Sock_Class__L10071301.html and for short row heels; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu5YAKsAEpY

Good luck with those socks, and welcome!

GrumpyGramma
12-29-2011, 02:56 AM
First projects? OK, I guess I'll believe you. :wink: You are right to be proud of those.

I'm curious, what did they mean by "backwards" re: your purls. The way you wrap the yarn? If so, you're a combination knitter, I think, and that's just another way to knit.

Keep up the good work!

Olha
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Oh, I missed these! Very, very nice for the first projects.

To all experienced forum dwellers -- did you notice the wave of brand new knitters who really don't bother with endless dishclothes in garter stitch and jump right in with useful accessories like hats and scarves with colourwork, shaping, knitting in the round and such?

I wonder if it's any indication that knitting becomes more of a useful skill and healthy challenge that has to do with self-reliance other than 'just a hobby'?

To all new knitters -- impressive! (And I don't assume anything about your personal motivation, just wondering what others might think).

JudyD
12-30-2011, 06:47 AM
You did a super job on the scarf and hat and have earned the right to be proud!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

May your addiction continue to grow!

Judy

JudyD
12-30-2011, 06:54 AM
<<To all experienced forum dwellers -- did you notice the wave of brand new knitters who really don't bother with endless dishclothes in garter stitch and jump right in with useful accessories like hats and scarves with colourwork, shaping, knitting in the round and such? >>

I applaud the new generation of knitters...and they're not all women!

Judy

StickningFlicka2
12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Congrats! They look great. Good luck on the socks :)

LoveBugAngel
12-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Lemme explain what I mean on 'first projects', I learned a basic knit stitch as a kid but never did anything with it, I just kept practicing. I forgot how to do it and a few years ago I practiced the basic knit stitch again, then practiced a little purl stitch (never made anything though) I picked up my needles for the first time in about 10 years this month and decided to give it a whirl, I looked up different styles (ribbing) and gave it a shot! My scarf was first then came my hat. I did have to restart a few times but they really are my first projects :)

As for purling backwards, I was wrapping my yarn the wrong way. The knitting ladies at the store told me I should change so that when I get into learning to do cables I won't have trouble because it was causing my stitches to twist.

GrumpyGramma
12-30-2011, 10:27 PM
As for purling backwards, I was wrapping my yarn the wrong way. The knitting ladies at the store told me I should change so that when I get into learning to do cables I won't have trouble because it was causing my stitches to twist.

Yeah, I'm sure you'll want to learn to wrap the yarn the other way, but I'm finding out there are times when you want to wrap it "backwards". http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106644 I'm itching to try combined knitting and that uses the "backwards" purl. Somehow I have to get my tension more even and I hope that helps.

To all experienced forum dwellers -- did you notice the wave of brand new knitters who really don't bother with endless dishclothes in garter stitch and jump right in with useful accessories like hats and scarves with colourwork, shaping, knitting in the round and such?

I wonder if it's any indication that knitting becomes more of a useful skill and healthy challenge that has to do with self-reliance other than 'just a hobby'?

I'm not yet an experienced knitter, but my grandson wanted a sweater and giving him a dishcloth wouldn't have made his eyes light up. :noway: He would have said,"Thank you," very politely but ..... Besides, making something with increases, decreases, bind offs, buttonholes...I actually learned some useful things. Thanks to everyone here and the things I've learned watching endless videos :zombie: I now know I can make a sweater that fits me and that requires changing patterns, working short rows and mixing sizes. :gah:

I think for many of us knitting is a hobby but a useful hobby. It's mentally challenging in lots of ways. I have a heck of a time with the math involved but I'm finding ways to deal with that even.

LoveBugAngel
12-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Here is the hat I finished tonight :)

colleen114
12-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh, I missed these! Very, very nice for the first projects.

To all new knitters -- impressive! (And I don't assume anything about your personal motivation, just wondering what others might think).

I'm new, and I started with a scarf because a few years ago when I tried to learn by working on a dishcloth, it couldn't hold my attention and I gave up. This time around I wanted to work on something that I actually wanted when it was done, and it's been so much fun working on it.

I personally got into it because I write and I needed an escape from that realm. I work full-time, I write (plays, not fiction or poetry) whenever I can, and I needed something that could just be mine for fun and not something I need to worry about as a career. Plus, even though I write, I tend to be AWFUL at anything visual-art-related. I can't draw or paint or sculpt or any of that. I wanted to be able to get into something craftsy that didn't involve any sort of drawing component. :p

LoveBug, the scarf and hat look awesome!!! I can't wait till my scarf is finished.

Olha
12-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for replies. It's lovely when people share their stories -- how they get into knitting and what they get out of it.

ETA: I hope nobody was offended by my comment in any way. Knitting allows me to make beautiful, useful, and unique things and that's where I was coming from.

Olha
12-31-2011, 10:20 PM
This is one cute hat! :) :thumbsup:

GrumpyGramma
12-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Olha, :muah: I can't see how you would have offended anyone. Your observation was interesting and thought provoking. Well, that's how I viewed it anyhow. I think you're right that people don't want to make dishrags! Now I know how to knit and actually make usable items, dishrags once in a while are kind of fun. :teehee:

Olha
01-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I looked at my post as a quote in someone's reply and realized that I might be offending people who enjoy making dishcloths :) It wasn't smart of me.

Anyway, I think all knitters are cool whatever they make!

Antares
01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm itching to try combined knitting and that uses the "backwards" purl. Somehow I have to get my tension more even and I hope that helps.

GG: Have you tried using bamboo needles? That has helped even out my tension considerably, and it's something I figured out by accident because in all the knitting advice I've seen for fixing tension problems, I never saw that as a possible solution. However, I do think the lady in PJs mentioned it in passing at one point.

____

Olha: I don't think your comment was off base. I think it was very astute of you to notice that, and besides, just about EVERYTHING we make as knitters is useful in some form or fashion, right? But I know what you mean. It seems this new batch of knitters on KH are diving into the more difficult (or at least the more time-intensive) projects! Hooray for them! The second project I worked on was a zip-front cardigan, and it was mainly because of this site that I was able to finish it. Because the newbies CAN get help here, I recommend that they dive in to a project--especially one they're in love with!!

GrumpyGramma
01-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Hooray for them! The second project I worked on was a zip-front cardigan, and it was mainly because of this site that I was able to finish it. Because the newbies CAN get help here, I recommend that they dive in to a project--especially one they're in love with!!

Without help and encouragement, knitting is too much...at least it was for me. Finding this site gave me the courage to try it. My next sweater "victim" is my daughter and she's happy about it! The fault definitely lies here, this site, and the wonderful advisors we have. :yay: :grphug:

Right off the top of my head, I have "blame" you, Antares, the lady in pjs, Jan, Sandy, Suzeeq, salmonmac, Lightning 57.... sorry that's all that pop into my head right this second, there are more! .... and all the newbies like me who ask the questions I need answered, including the ones I don't think to ask. Thanks to everyone here! :cheering:

LBA, we got lucky I think.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. No, I haven't tried bamboo needles. I really think I must.

LoveBugAngel
01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
omg guess what! I was so excited about this knitting socks book. I open it up and start reading so that I can get a feel for what they are expecting, and I noticed it says refer to page 7, I go to find page 7 and theres no page 7, nor is there and page 8 or 9 or 10 or 11. Whoever printed the book messed up and printed page 5 6 7 8 again then jumps to page 17!!! I can't believe my luck! I will have to return it tomorrow.

colleen114
01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Olha, I came right out and said that making a dishcloth didn't hold my attention, so if you offended anyone, I bet I did too. :) I think dishcloths can be a cool project too, so I'm also sorry if I offended anybody. I just currently don't need any dishcloths, but I do really need a scarf (January and cold!).

ArtLady1981
01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Your work is wonderful! And socks so soon? Good for you!