PDA

View Full Version : Knitting loose with cotton, fine with acrylic

xdunlapx
01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone :) I've got a question for you all. I have been practicing knitting on my Caron Simply Soft yarn and my stitches look good and even (mostly) and is a tight weave. But on cotton yarn (which I just started today after a hiatus from it lol) my knitting is super loose looking. I'm using size 7 bamboo needles on the acrylic yarn and size 8 circulars (aluminum) on the cotton though I am only knitting back and forth, flatly. Would I need to use a size or few smaller on the cotton yarn to get it to be nice and tight? If so, is that normal for cotton yarn to be soo loose? I want to make a wash cloth or two from the cotton using 2 patterns but the weave being so loose it wont show the pattern in the knitting. I'll be doing a "2012" cloth and the other is made of 4 large squares. What should I do? I don't want to buy more needles but if I should then I will. I eventually want to buy either addi or the knitpicks set of circulars. The circular I have is the Boye brand (very cheap and the cord is far too stiff and unflexible.)

How can I remedy this?

Ingrid
01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Cotton isn't stretchy like acrylic, so in order to have tighter stitches, you'll have to knit with smaller needles. I don't see any way around that.

xdunlapx
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Oh ok. I wasn't sure if it was something I wasn't doing right. I knew it wasn't stretchy from a previous thread that I started but would have thought that the stitches would be too tight (from previous experience haha) Thanks for your reply.