PDA

View Full Version : What weight of yarn is this??

knitcindy
01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I picked up a book called "Knitting Today's Classics" at the library last week and I found a pattern I want to make from it!! It's the "Broken Rib Cardigan" and it calls for La Gran Mohair yarn from Cascade Elite yarns.

The instructions to find an equivalent BULKY yarn. But when I looked up the La Gran Mohair yarn on Ravelry, it's listed as ARAN yarn. This is really confusing!!

Anybody out there who could help me figure out which weight it REALLY is?? And then to direct me towards something I could buy at JoAnn Fabrics/Michaels/A C Moore???

THANKS!!!!!
knitcindy
(who's still trying to get this figured out) :shrug:

Jan in CA
01-22-2012, 02:14 PM
The most important thing you need to look at is the gauge. La Gran Mohair knits at about 16 st over 4 inches. According to this that is just barely a worsted/aran weight. Gauge is more important when knitting a sweater.
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

What I do sometimes is see what other people have knit it in. I looked up the book on Ravelry, but there's no pattern by that name. Is this the book?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/knitting-todays-classics/patterns

knitcindy
01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes, that IS the book but this particular pattern isn't on Ravelry. Thanks for your help!

knitcindy

suzeeq
01-22-2012, 02:44 PM
If it's a fluffy yarn it would usually be knit at a larger gauge than the yarn appears to be, the fluff fills in the sts.

knitcindy
01-22-2012, 05:15 PM
This is the gauge for this sweater, from the pattern:

Gauge: Broken rib stitch on size 10 1/2 needles:
11 sts and 13 1/2 rows = 3 inches

And the broken rib is as follows:
Row 1: *K1, p1; rep from *; end k1
Row 2: P all sts

In case this helps!!!!
knitcindy

Jan in CA
01-22-2012, 05:43 PM
That is definitely a bulky yarn gauge. It could also be from the needle size. The larger the needle the looser the gauge.

knitcindy
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks Jan!!

So I could use something like Lion Brand Jiffy for this? Any other recommendations??

knitcindy

suzeeq
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
So I could use something like Lion Brand Jiffy for this?

Maybe. What gauge and needle size does the pattern say?

knitcindy
01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
If you look earlier in this thread, I mentioned it.......

knitcindy

suzeeq
01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Ahh sorry, forgot and I scrolled past the post looking to see if you had. Jiffy might work okay, I prefer to knit it on size 11s and you may have to use them to get that gauge with it anyway.

knitcindy
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I have enough of Lion Brand Homespun, maybe I'll try making a swatch with that. It wouldn't be "fuzzy" but I like the color.

Any yarn recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated!

knitcindy

suzeeq
01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Homespun should work okay too, but still needs to be knit on size 11s with a loose hold on the yarn or it's kind of a pain to knit with. If you have any sort of bulky yarn, try it out on both 10s and 11s to see if you're close to the gauge. Bernat softee chunky isn't fuzzy, but would work good too.

knitcindy
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all your help suzeeq!!! I will have to get over to the store and see which yarn has the color I want. Believe me, I ALWAYS do a swatch when I work on a sweater. I almost always have to go down 2 needle sizes to get the right gauge.

I don't know if that's because I knit Continental or what. It's just what happens!

Thanks again!!!!:muah:
knitcindy