PDA

View Full Version : Inc 1 st question

SparklesGalore
02-14-2012, 02:13 AM
I am very new to knitting and I would like to knit a Barbie dress. An snip of the pattern goes like this:

Next: Purl across
work in st st for 6 rows
Next: inc 1 st in every fourth st across
Next: purl across
Work in st st for 6 rows
Next: inc 1 st in every fifth st across

I am confused about the inc st. Do I do this in the 6th row of the st st? Or is it a seperate row?

Any help is appreciated!

ArtLady1981
02-14-2012, 02:29 AM
I am very new to knitting and I would like to knit a Barbie dress. An snip of the pattern goes like this:

Next: Purl across
work in st st for 6 rows
Next: inc 1 st in every fourth st across
Next: purl across
Work in st st for 6 rows
Next: inc 1 st in every fifth st across

I am confused about the inc st. Do I do this in the 6th row of the st st? Or is it a seperate row?

Any help is appreciated!

ABOUT INCREASES:
Let's say you have 21 stitches on the needle.
This row (in blue above) would go like this:
KKKK KKKK KKKK KKKK KKKK K
(the red K designates a 4th knit that you will work an increase into prolly using the K1fb, which means K1 in front and back of the stitch, creating 2 stitches out of 1 stitch)

This row (in green above) would go like this:
KKKKK KKKKK KKKKK KKKKK KKKK K
(the red K designates a 5th knit that you will work an increase into prolly using the K1fb, which means K1 in front and back of the stitch, creating 2 stitches out of 1 stitch)

Of course, after each inc row, your stitch counts increase.
20+5=26
26+5=31

NOTE:
"work in st st for 6 rows" means: after the "purl across" row, you will work 6 plain st st rows, with no increasing whatsoever.

suzeeq
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
If you work 6 rows then inc on the next one, that's the 7th row. Which would be a knit row after the 6 rows of stockinette st.

SparklesGalore
02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys! You helped a lot! Got it!
Happy knitting!! :)