PDA

View Full Version : Stuck!

sakura-panda
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I finished the scarf I was working on and don't know what I want to do next. :?? I have lots of yarn and project ideas, but just can't decide what to start next.

Do you ever get this lack of direction between projects? What do you do to get around it and get inspired to start something new? :knitting:

Antares
03-12-2012, 10:42 AM
My problem is I have TOO many things I want to do, and I can't seem to narrow them down to the next thing.

However, looking at patterns, considering how much time I will have to knit, and thinking about what I want to wear or give to someone else can help me decide.

Yours is a great problem to have, I guess. At least it's not this problem: I really really want to do X, but I don't have all the supplies I need to do it!!

salmonmac
03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Most of the time I have projects queued up and waiting patiently in line but every now and then, Iíve found myself with the same wonderful problem. My solution is to browse through pattern books or Ravelry pages until something jumps out. Good luck and enjoy looking for that next project. And congrats on finishing the scarf!

fatoldladyinpjs
03-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd suggest a visit to the yarn store. It might inspire you. My problem is I have lots of ideas but no decent yarn. I think that's going to be one of my trips this week. I've got little scraps of this and that which I can't seem to throw away. Most of my stash is junk anyway. And I quit smoking regular cigarettes. Went to e cigarettes with just a water vapor and cutting down on that. Everything smells like smoke. I'm noticing it more now and rewashing all my clothes and airing out the house. I think I'm going to throw out all the smoky junk yarn and start over.

Jan in CA
03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
What I do when I can't decide what big project to do is make hats. I've been using my stash yarn to make hats for charity. I get to knit, someone gets hats, and it gives me time to think about what I really want to do next. :thumbsup:

GrumpyGramma
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Dishrags. Oh, excuse me, I mean dish cloths. I think about what I want to be doing next while I'm knitting. They also come in handy when I feel like I'm ready to frog something and know I should give it some time before I decide.

Jan in CA
03-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Dishrags. Oh, excuse me, I mean dish cloths. I think about what I want to be doing next while I'm knitting. They also come in handy when I feel like I'm ready to frog something and know I should give it some time before I decide.

I do that with cotton when I have it. Unfortunately most of my yarn is wool/acrylic blends which make nice hats. I like to play around with design on them because they are small and fast. :teehee:

Antares
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
If you've got the yarn (and it sounds like you do), you can also swatch some of it up to see what it might want to be.

GrumpyGramma
03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
If you've got the yarn (and it sounds like you do), you can also swatch some of it up to see what it might want to be.
So I'm not the only one that listens to the yarn! I was beginning to think I'm totally insane! I got yarn for a sweater and it just wasn't going to work out, the yarn told me so, but then I found some that would. It just screamed at me, "I'll work up nicely in that sweater pattern!"
Well, maybe I am totally insane. You didn't say the yarn talks to you. :shrug:

Antares
03-13-2012, 10:45 AM
So I'm not the only one that listens to the yarn! I was beginning to think I'm totally insane! I got yarn for a sweater and it just wasn't going to work out, the yarn told me so, but then I found some that would. It just screamed at me, "I'll work up nicely in that sweater pattern!"
Well, maybe I am totally insane. You didn't say the yarn talks to you. :shrug:

Oh, you're not crazy--at least not about your yarn speaking to you (I can't vouch for other areas, though :wink:). I started trying to make a scarf/shrug thing with some lovely lace-weight wool, and it's just not screaming success in the FO, so I know exactly what you're talking about. However, it does want to be a cowl--go figure! Maggie Righetti in Sweater Design in Plain English has an entire conversation with her yarn.

So . . . go forth and speaketh to thy yarn (oh, and don't forget to listen, too)!!!

GrumpyGramma
03-13-2012, 10:59 AM
So . . . go forth and speaketh to thy yarn (oh, and don't forget to listen, too)!!!

Maybe this explains some odd looks when KIP?:roflhard:

sakura-panda
03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd suggest a visit to the yarn store. It might inspire you. My problem is I have lots of ideas but no decent yarn. I think that's going to be one of my trips this week. I've got little scraps of this and that which I can't seem to throw away. Most of my stash is junk anyway. And I quit smoking regular cigarettes. Went to e cigarettes with just a water vapor and cutting down on that. Everything smells like smoke. I'm noticing it more now and rewashing all my clothes and airing out the house. I think I'm going to throw out all the smoky junk yarn and start over.

Congratulations on getting rid of stinky cigarettes! I once got some scrapbooking supplies as a RAK from an online friend once and had to leave the papers spread out in the garage for a week before I was able to bring them in the house. (It seems to me I threw away all the non-paper supplies -- I didn't have a lot of space to spread things around to air out and decided to only salvage the paper. :oops: )

I think a trip to the yarn store is an excellent reward for you. :thumbsup:

I'm the type that has to have a project in mind before I make the trip or I end up petting everything and buying nothing. :doh:

sakura-panda
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM

You both are just too cute! :roflhard:

I had some yarn that didn't want to be a bib but it loved being part of a blanket. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the other three skeins of that! (Make a bigger blanket, maybe? :teehee:)

Oh my gosh, that's actually a really good idea! :thumbsup: :happydance:

sakura-panda
03-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the idea and suggestions! It's good to know it's not just me. :teehee:

I like the dishrag/hat/swatch idea. I have some yarn and netting for making scrubbies, but I haven't made any in a while. This is probably a good time to use up one of those netting balls as a break between "big" projects while I try to decide what to work on next!

Part of the problem is that I have yarn for two scarves and winter is all but over so I don't really feel like starting another one just yet. I could finish my log cabin blanket, but I don't look forward to picking up all those stitches. (I am leaning toward that one -- it's been "in progress" for the last three years and I have half the border completed.) I also have some soy blend yarn that I keep flipflopping what do to with it -- my newest idea is to make a runner for my dresser, if I can find a pattern that I like!

I am also thinking leg warmers for my five-year-old daughter -- she has one pair that she wears every dance practice. She doesn't *need* more, but I thought they might be a fun and portable project. I'll need yarn since she only wears pink or purple and I have neither in my stash. :) I thought this project might help with my not liking to knit in the round. :blush: I'd love to pick up a sock or hat habit so I keep trying different projects to get more comfortable with it.

(I'm starting to wonder if I should try DPNs. I have only used magic loop; I bought two sock sized circulars to try that method but haven't broke them out of the packaging yet. I don't imagine that is much different than magic loop though.)

I have too much enthusiasm for the amount of time I have to knit. LOL :lol:

Antares
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Well . . . Olha sings to her yarn, so I'd say any kind of communication is good, right? And we get odd looks anyway, so why not talk and/or sing away? :thumbsup:

Antares
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Sakura-panda, now you're getting some ideas incubating! You'll be happily knitting a new project in no time!!

GrumpyGramma
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I am also thinking leg warmers for my five-year-old daughter -- she has one pair that she wears every dance practice. She doesn't *need* more, but I thought they might be a fun and portable project. I'll need yarn since she only wears pink or purple and I have neither in my stash. I thought this project might help with my not liking to knit in the round. I'd love to pick up a sock or hat habit so I keep trying different projects to get more comfortable with it.

Here's an idea: Long stirrup sock leg warmers. My granddaughter wanted long leg warmers to go over pointe shoes and cover her knees. I started toe-up stirrup socks and just kept knitting until she said they were long enough. There are patterns--I found out after I had them well under way-- I just figured out how many stitches to rib round her foot and started knitting. Knit for a while, then bind off 1/2 the stitches, cast on that many to replace them and keep knitting round and round and round: you'll have a heel opening that works well with a sc edging.

My plunge into socks started with Lifestyle Toe-up Socks. Two reasons: no swatch necessary and no toe to graft or seam. http://pulsh.blogspot.com/2009/05/lifestyle-socks-videos.html I started with worsted weight yarn for slippers or to fit in my winter boots that are too big. Now I have sock yarn and size 3 Cubics circular needles and will start making "real" socks soon. Socks may become my "thinking" knitting.

GrumpyGramma
03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Well . . . Olha sings to her yarn, so I'd say any kind of communication is good, right? And we get odd looks anyway, so why not talk and/or sing away? :thumbsup:
Yeah, I remember reading that! She posted a link to some lovely music and an instrument I can't remember the name of. Since it's OK for Olha to sing to her knitting, I think I'll feel a bit less foolish talking to it. Now if I could only knit half as beautifully as she does. *sigh*

Jan in CA
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
In our knitting group on Friday nights that is usually the way we ask about yarn. "Oh you got some beautiful yarn, what does it want to be?"... like that. :teehee: We also bring yarns to the big table we sit and and audition them with all of us offering input. Fun! :yay:

sakura-panda
03-16-2012, 06:02 PM
This thread is so much fun! :yay:

I'm two thirds of the way through a scrubbie. I make them little (CO 18 stitches and knit 24 rows) with cotton and netting and I still get tired of them before the end. :teehee:

I started a short row scarf from Creative Knitting magazine with Malabrigo Rios varigated yarn that I bought specifically for that project, but I didn't have the right size needle and got frustrated trying to pick up the wrapped stitches. (I don't think the issues are related.) I need to get a new needle and look for a Wrap-and-Turn video.

Linky to scarf on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/all-about-short-rows-scarf)

I loved the little bit I spent knitting with this yarn and spent two nights looking for an alternate pattern for the two balls, but wasn't happy with anything that I found. So I guess I need to work on W&T. :knitting:

GrumpyGramma
03-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Short rows? So rewarding yet they can be so frustrating. I got this link on German short rows here at KH. It works for me. There are other methods, I bet you can find one that works for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KooKdm0YBbw