PDA

View Full Version : My supplies are everywhere & getting lost

LoveBugAngel
03-24-2012, 08:14 PM
I finally bought something to store my yarn in, but I am having a heck of a time finding some sort of case to store my needles in. I have been to all the local yarn stores and found 2 cases but they are not what I am looking for at all. I went to Michaels today and still found nothing. I've checked Walmart but nothing.
How do you store all your needles and other materials??? I have my needles in a shoe box but it is NOT helpful. I would love something that has the needle size on the pockets so that if I need size 4mm I don't have to search, I know that, that pocket is holding my 4mm's. Suggestions?

GrumpyGramma
03-24-2012, 08:18 PM
I am sooooooooooo glad you asked this question. I'm still using a shoe box too! Some of the stuff in the shoe box is in the plastic cases it came in but like you, I'm having to search and search. I wondered if human hair would make decent yarn after I've pulled it all out....not! I'm sure.

LoveBugAngel
03-24-2012, 08:30 PM
yes I have mine in the cases they came in too, but they often slip out and it's just annoying. My metal DPN's especially, since they aren't labeled I am always finding myself having to check what size they are. I am looking around google and etsy but still not really coming up with anything.

Jan in CA
03-24-2012, 08:57 PM
If you have interchangeables I can't recommend these enough! I have two now and I have 4 friends with them, too. I hate ties on needle cases and these have a snap. They do have a case that's larger now, but it has a tie. She has other needle cases as well, but I only use interchangeables so haven't seen those personally.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rosevans?section_id=6277487

I know someone with this one as well and it's almost identical just a bit more expensive.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/southernwoolies?section_id=7036358

ETA: Oops that's not a tie it's a buckle sort of thing. That's probably okay then. Still like my snap though.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I've got the Knitpicks Harmony Wood interchangeables. I keep my tips in a Boye crochet hook holder. All my stuff I'm able to keep together in a Cumberland Concepts bag. I got mine in the office supply department at Walmart by the single bag. I have my needle tips and cables, scissors, knitting gauge, tapestry needles, and some double points in one bag. My straight needles I don't use anymore, but they stored quite well in another one. Most of those I just gave away (along with the bag) to my son's girlfriend whom I discovered knits. These are large bags and zippered. They're very durable and I love mine. Everything I need is in one bag. I just grab and go.

http://www.cumberlandconcepts.com/zipperbag.htm

LoveBugAngel
03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I am really starting to consider going the interchangable way, but to dish out $100.00 is kind of hard. Those cases are really nice, but I don't have interchangables :(

GrumpyGramma
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I am really starting to consider going the interchangable way, but to dish out $100.00 is kind of hard. Those cases are really nice, but I don't have interchangables :(
Which interchangables are you looking at? The ones I want, either from Knit Picks or Webs, are less than that. It's also easy to spend the price of a set just to be sure I have the size needles I need for a given project.

Jan in CA
03-25-2012, 02:41 AM
I have Knitpicks nickel plated because I prefer metal for most things. I do have a few of the harmony and like those as well. I haven't knit with straight needles or those stiff cables in years.

I have two friends now with Hiya Hiya 5" steel interchangeables and they love them. The joins are very smooth. They would be more $ in the long run though because of the way they do their circular sizing.

I still like my KP Nickel plated though and haven't had many problems. Great service if you do have any though.

LoveBugAngel
03-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Which interchangables are you looking at? The ones I want, either from Knit Picks or Webs, are less than that. It's also easy to spend the price of a set just to be sure I have the size needles I need for a given project.

I don't know who makes them, they were a set I saw at Michaels. The only thing though is that you only get two sets of each I think, and then if you have to knit something on dpn's your only option is to do the magic loop method I think?

Jan in CA
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
The only thing though is that you only get two sets of each I think, and then if you have to knit something on dpn's your only option is to do the magic loop method I think?

If they were at Michaels they were probably Boye. I don't care for them myself because the cable is rather stiff, but some people don't seem to mind.

I'm not sure I understand this comment... Usually you get one set with interchangeables. Not sure what you mean about dpn though.

GrumpyGramma
03-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel
The only thing though is that you only get two sets of each I think, and then if you have to knit something on dpn's your only option is to do the magic loop method I think?

If they were at Michaels they were probably Boye. I don't care for them myself because the cable is rather stiff, but some people don't seem to mind.

I'm not sure I understand this comment... Usually you get one set with interchangeables. Not sure what you mean about dpn though.

I'm sure I don't understand. The sets I'm aware of have one pair each of the different sizes. I have some Boye and Lion Brand fixed circs neither of which is my favorite thanks to the cord that has too much mind of its own. I guess if I wanted to use dpns I'd use dpns. I have some and could get more in different sizes.

Jan in CA
03-26-2012, 01:16 AM
For circular knitting you could knit with DPN, magic loop or 2 circulars although the last option would require 2 sets of needles of one size. If you get the Boye my choice would be DPN. The cables are too stiff for comfortable ML. Again that's just my opinion.

fatoldladyinpjs
03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Some knitters put their circulars in ziplock bags, punch a hole in the bag, and keep them all together in a ring binder notebook. They say Necessity is the mother of invention. Design your own case. Give it as many slots for your needles as you want. These are made like a rectangle. Needles are put in, and you roll it up then tie it together. I believe these are called needle rolls. You might be able to find patterns for these online.

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/rollndl.shtml

Antares
03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Some knitters put their circulars in ziplock bags, punch a hole in the bag, and keep them all together in a ring binder notebook. They say Necessity is the mother of invention. Design your own case. Give it as many slots for your needles as you want. These are made like a rectangle. Needles are put in, and you roll it up then tie it together. I believe these are called needle rolls. You might be able to find patterns for these online.

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/rollndl.shtml

One note about the Ziplock bags, use freezer bags, or at the very least, bags that are fairly thick. The needles will poke through the plastic after a while, but, hey, at least they're fairly cheap to replace.

I created a crochet hook holder a few years ago using a zippered daytimer. Here's a link to that post (with pictures) and explanation: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102219&highlight=crochet+binder

I imagine you could modify a daytimer for use with knitting needles, too.

dturner
03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
i use a zippered three ring notebook with zippered pencil holders (the kind that go in a three ring binder). I put all the same size needles together in one pencil holder whether dpns, interchageable, etc. There are pockets, too, that will hold things such as row counters and stitch markers. Here's a llnk to a photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25819223@N02/2453711402/in/photostream

justplaincharlotte
03-26-2012, 10:39 PM
LBA -

I keep my straights and some of my DPN in a roll up canvas case that I found at Tuesday Mornings, a discount store carrying a little bit of everything. I may go back to see if I can grab another one for the rest of my DPN. I swear they multiply at night! :shrug:

Have yet to find a suitable solution for my interchangeables, though Jan's(?) cases have been bookmarked as a possibility. :thumbsup:

Good luck in your quest for the perfect case for you!

RochesterKnitter
03-27-2012, 07:02 AM

For circular knitting you could knit with 2 circulars although the last option would require 2 sets of needles of one size.

Yes when you buy interchangeables you only get two needles of each size, which can then be attached to either end of a cord (different lengths available). But, don't forget that you can always make two cable needles each with two different size needles on it (ex. US7 on one end and US 5 on the other). Then you use the larger needle (7) of one cable to knit (right hand) while working the stitches off the other cable's smaller end (5 in left hand) and just reverse the process when you work back on the opposite side. It is the interchageable way of knitting with two cable needles (rather than actually having two cable needles each with US 7 on both ends).

fatoldladyinpjs
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
It also helps to hold straight needle pairs and double point sets together with rubber bands. You can write the size of the double points on a small piece of paper and rubber band that with the needles. This would prevent your having to hunt for pairs each time. You can buy knitting gauges with holes in them to find out what size needles you have if you forget.

redbedhead
03-27-2012, 12:23 PM
How do you store all your needles and other materials??? I have my needles in a shoe box but it is NOT helpful. I would love something that has the needle size on the pockets so that if I need size 4mm I don't have to search, I know that, that pocket is holding my 4mm's. Suggestions?

I had that problem too. I inherited a PAPER CASE box full of knitting needles, which was a HUGE mess.

I finally bought an over the door shoe bag and hung it on the ack of my bedroom door. I labeled each pocket (using a Metallic silver Sharpie since the shoe bag itself was black) with needle sizes and sorted the straight needles into those pockets, 1 size per pocket until I got to the LARGE needles which are all in one pocket (17, 19, and 50). I also made a Single pocket for the few DPNs I have, and rubberbanded a lable to each set before putting them in the pocket. Then I grouped the circular needles into 5 main size groups and sorted them into 4 pockets, labled circular size 1-2, 3-4, 5-8, 9-11, and 15 and larger. I also labled a few pockets for stitch holders, crochet hooks, and accessories. Finally, I dedicated the top drawer of my 4 drawer cabinet to my interchangable sets (I have 2 different brands of interchangables) and hairpin lace looms.

I still have to check sizes and cord length when I want a fixed Circular, but at least I do not have to look at ALL of them, and everything is contained, neat, and out of sight.

knitcindy
03-29-2012, 08:42 AM
I inherited a sewing/knitting cabinet from my grandparents and that's where I keep all my supplies! It has 3 drawers in the middle and a storage section on both ends where I keep all my needles.

Don't know what I'd do without it!!!
knitcindy

salmonmac
03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Knitcindy, that sounds perfect. Lucky you.
I use a drawer in a small chest of drawers. Cable needles fit through a plexiglass block with holes drilled into it. It fits up to 4 needles of each size from one to ten. The other needles are on their own and the best of luck to them. At least it keeps the cables from rounding up into tight curls.

knitcindy
03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks salmonmac!!! Here's a link to a picture I found of EXACTLY what my cabinet looks like!!!

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/atq/2907334146.html

Mine looks a lot older, but other than that everything's the same!!! The 2 side "wells" go all the way from top to the bottom!

knitcindy

Antares
03-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks salmonmac!!! Here's a link to a picture I found of EXACTLY what my cabinet looks like!!!

Mine looks a lot older, but other than that everything's the same!!! The 2 side "wells" go all the way from top to the bottom!

knitcindy

That's splendid, but unfortunately not very portable, eh? I move my stuff around (office to living room and back again, to the doctor's office or dentist office, etc.) so much that I have to have portability.

salmonmac
03-31-2012, 05:35 AM

knitcindy

Oh, perfect! Thanks for the link. I wonder where the "little bit of yarn to get you started" came from?

knitcindy
03-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Hopefully, NOT from Mrs. Washington herself!!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

knitcindy

ylimeoe
04-21-2012, 10:59 PM
You could knit a holder for each set of knitting needles, and then to catagorize them, you can color code then (pink- 4mm, green-5mm, etc.) Then you could knit a bag to hold them all in. I think it could work. I'm going to try this with my knitting needles and crochet hooks.

knitcindy
04-21-2012, 11:10 PM
You might be able to find some clear plastic shoe boxes to store your needles/supplies in. A friend of mine has a long thinner type of box and that's what she uses for her needles.

hth, knitcindy

janae1987
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM

i thought that same way until i sat down and totaled up how much id spend on getting all the needles that i could make with the interchangables....it was definately a lot more than i had antipacted...so by buying hte interchangable set you are really saving money over the long term.

I have the Knit picks nickle plated...and i LOVE them! im currently saving for the harmonys!

IslandTime
04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
I found this neat idea online. Can't wait to make one, it's going to solve my circ's issue! I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out something for them (they've been crammed into a narrow 3-bin plastic cabinet drawer) This is SO simple, and it'll be a fun wall hanging for my "everything room" :thumbsup:

Here's the link
http://www.pieknits.com/blog/2007/01/tutorial_new_sew_circular_need.html

LoveBugAngel
09-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I found this at the yarn store today for 17 bucks, a bit pricey but I picked it up.

Woodi
09-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Great suggestions, all!

I no longer have it to show you, but I once made myself a needlecase by folding up a piece of felt fabric to make a pocket, and sewing lines in the pocket right through the background fabric, to hold various needles. Then I bent the top down to cover needles, and sewed snaps to hold the top in place. I hope to make another soon. Can you picture it?

ABC's Mom
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I was having the same problem with my needles. The gal at my local yarn shop said she used one of the decorative 4/6 photo storage boxes for her circular needles. She keeps them in their plastic bags and then lays them sideways in the box in size order.

I went to Michaels when they had a 50% off all storage sale and got a plastic box, really made for scrapbooking, that had 16 4/6 small photo cases in it and the circulars fit perfectly in the small boxes. I did have to either fold or cut some of the cardboard backing that comes with the needles making sure I kept the part that had the size and length of the needles. For the smaller size needles I was able to fit 2-3 needles of the same size in each case. The bigger gauge needles I could only get one in a case.
For my straight needles I got some plastic cases that has dividers in them that you can make different sizes. I have one for my double pts. and one for regular straights.
Hope this helps.

GrumpyGramma
09-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Oh, I like! Good find!

Sunshine's Mom
09-19-2012, 03:50 PM
If you have interchangeables I can't recommend these enough! I have two now and I have 4 friends with them, too. I hate ties on needle cases and these have a snap. They do have a case that's larger now, but it has a tie. She has other needle cases as well, but I only use interchangeables so haven't seen those personally.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rosevans?section_id=6277487

I know someone with this one as well and it's almost identical just a bit more expensive.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/southernwoolies?section_id=7036358

ETA: Oops that's not a tie it's a buckle sort of thing. That's probably okay then. Still like my snap though.

Thanks for the links! I bought one of the interchangeable needle cases for me (early birthday present! And I'm worth it :-P ). While I was on etsy I bought a yarn bowl for my sister for Christmas as she refuses to learn how to wind a center-pull ball. Thanks again.