PDA

View Full Version : Circular needles

Waffle61
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if any of you have preferences for brands of interchangeable circular needles? I have tried the Knit-picks and like them because they have a very flexible cord, but they come unscrewed easily. I would like to buy a nice set and just be done with it. Buying them one by one is getting expensive and I feel like I should just bite the bullet and do it, but want something that will have a flexible cord and will last.
Thanks

JLonier
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
My knitpicks have never, ever come undone. Make sure you use a something that grips the needle when you tighten them. Like non skid shelf liner.

I own hiya hiya needles and denise needles and by far the knitpicks are the best.

suzeeq
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
The needles WEBS/yarn.com sells are similar to knit picks. As Jan says, if you use a rubber band or something to grip the base of the needle as you poke the key in the hole, that should keep them from coming apart.

Jan in CA
04-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I use a piece of grippy shelf liner. I cut a bunch of them so I have them handy for me and to pass out at my knitting group. I've never had one come unscrewed. Make sure you only hold the metal when tightening..never the cord!

This kind of stuff -
http://www.organize.com/gripliner.html

suzeeq
04-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Wrong.... I agree with you.

Everyone has a different preference and each of us need to try out different types to see what we like personally.

Jan in CA
04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I have a couple friends with Hiya Hiya and they love them. I think since you already have the KP needles that getting a grippy thing to tighten them with is a good idea first. If you still aren't happy then it's time to move on. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
I've never had an issue with my Addi interchangeables. I have mostly Addi fixed circs, too. I did have a set of the KnitPicks, and they are great to knit with, but cords broke just often enough to make me paranoid and I gave them to my daughter in law.

suzeeq
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Can't magic link a name here....

I haven't tried hiya hiya needles. I was agreeing with what you said most people would disagree with - The correct answer is which set feels and works best for you.

That is absolutely the correct answer.

ArtLady1981
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Your question is: what is "your preference"...not "what's the best buy", not "which set works best".

My "interchangeable" preference is Addi Clicks. I knit with them most of the time.

Recently purchased the new set of Addi Clicks Lace (with new long stalks), and use them for intricate stitches that need pointy tips.

I own these interchangeable sets:
1) Denise
2) Boye Needlemaster
3) Knit Picks Options, nickel set and Harmony set
4) Addi Clicks, regular set and lace set

So those are the interchangeable sets I've worked with extensively.

bambi
04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I've had KP options forever and like them but just bought a set of Addi Clicks and love them. The KP options cables and broken on me before and tho they send a replacement right away, it doesn't help if it ruins the current project.

Addis have a cool locking mechanism that doesn't require keys and the cables have zero memory!

KnitpickingRunner
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
My choices:
1) HiyaHiya
2) Boye Needlemaster (only with replacement cables)
3) KA

Your question is: what is "your preference"...not "what's the best buy", not "which set works best".

My "interchangeable" preference is Addi Clicks. I knit with them most of the time.

Recently purchased the new set of Addi Clicks Lace (with new long stalks), and use them for intricate stitches that need pointy tips.

I own these interchangeable sets:
1) Denise
2) Boye Needlemaster
3) Knit Picks Options, nickel set and Harmony set
4) Addi Clicks, regular set and lace set

So those are the interchangeable sets I've worked with extensively.

Thanks for the info. Can you figure out what it is about the Addi Clicks that makes you prefer them?

I've considered the Denise set isimply because I prefer the case. Is the quality of the needles good on that brand?

KnitpickingRunner
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
My choices:
1) HiyaHiya
2) Boye Needlemaster (only with replacement cables)
3) KA

Did you experience cable breakage with the needlemasters?

ArtLady1981
04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Can you figure out what it is about the Addi Clicks that makes you prefer them?

I've considered the Denise set isimply because I prefer the case. Is the quality of the needles good on that brand?

I love love love the high quality, smooth, buttah soft, silky nickel plated finish on the Addi Clicks, both regular tips and lace (pointy) tips. The finish on Addi Clicks is even better than my old (set-circs) Addi Turbos, and heaven knows you can hardly get a never nickel finish...but Addi has managed to up their game.

That said, perhaps newly purchased Addi Turbo set-circs have the same wonderful finish as the Addi Clicks. I dunno. I'm not purchasing any additional set-circs Addi Turbos.

The new Addi Clicks Lace Longs are very accurate, the tips are perfectly pointed but don't tend to split yarn easily.

BTW, I like the Addi Clicks cases much much better than the old clunky Denise case. Has Denise upgraded their case?

I don't even touch my Denise's anymore. I should really sell them. I despise the cords. The way the tips connect to the cord is really nice and easy. The stalks are nice to knit with. It's just those gawd awful cords... :pout:

GrumpyGramma
04-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Some people love Denise needles. I have a set that I've been considering trading or selling.

What I like about them: They are fairly inexpensive and you get a nice case for them. They have good customer service and send replacement parts when you need them.

What I don't like: The cables are too fat and I've had them break on me. The connections come apart for me at awkward times. The needle tips seem too blunt and for me are awkward and difficult to use.

At first I thought they were great but then I realized I'd learned to knit and felt like I needed real needles.

I think the people who love these needles probably are very loose knitters....and, yes, I mean that in the best possible way. I think I must knit fairly tightly.

Right now I'm trying to decide between wood (not bamboo) and nickel plated needles. I got the sampler sets from Knit Picks and Webs (everything so far is totally interchangable) and just can't decide which I like better.

Jan in CA
04-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't even touch my Denise's anymore. I should really sell them. I despise the cords. The way the tips connect to the cord is really nice and easy. The stalks are nice to knit with. It's just those gawd awful cords... :pout:

Agreed. I don't like the cable either. I also didn't like the case because you couldn't add to it. Only one set fits. I don't know anyone with only one set of any type. :teehee:

I also didn't like Boye Needlemasters. The cable is too stiff.

I love Addis, but they are too expensive for my budget especially since I use multiple sets.

My needle of choice is Knitpicks nickel plated. I've only had one cable break in the years I've used them. Their customer service is wonderful and there are no questions asked.

Btw... I use an awesome needle case I got on Etsy!!

GrumpyGramma
04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
BTW, I like the Addi Clicks cases much much better than the old clunky Denise case. Has Denise upgraded their case?

The Denise case is a book like affair with spots for everything that comes in the set. Is that the kind you're talking about, ArtLady?

Agreed. I don't like the cable either. I also didn't like the case because you couldn't add to it. Only one set fits. I don't know anyone with only one set of any type.

Yeah, where do I put the 2 - 52" cables they sent to replace the one that broke that they sent me because the connector thingies kept coming apart? LOL They do have good customer service for replacing pieces.

suzeeq
04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
The older Boyes had thinner, more flexible cords and a different sort of join. But they broke more easily too, so that's proably why they went with the heavier, stiffer ones. I can ML and single loop pretty well with the fixed ones, but the larger join on the interchangeables make that a lot more difficult.

ArtLady1981
04-05-2012, 06:01 PM
My (blue) Denise case is like a hard cover book, with tracks for the cables, and slots for the stalks. It's very organized, but cumbersome when traveling.

I like the slightly padded, soft leatherette (envelope-shaped) Addi case much better.
Lightweight, compact. Snaps closed easily, securely.

KnitpickingRunner
04-06-2012, 03:09 PM
You guys are fabulously helpful! Thanks for all the great info!

PatriciaPDX
04-06-2012, 06:38 PM
My Denise needles were a gift and I learned to knit on them several years ago. I've never had them come apart, even when making twisting, turning long mobius scarves. While I like them just fine, I wanted to try something different. I was surprised to find recently that I like bamboo needles, and then I recently ordered the KnitPicks "Try-It" set. I don't care for the acrylics, the nickel-plated are fine, but I was surprised again that I like the Harmony Wood needles best of all, as they're slick and have really good points. Since I have the Denise needles and rarely knit with anything smaller than a size 5 or larger than a 9, I decided to buy just the sizes I use most of the Harmony set. I'll do the same soon with the nickel-plated set. For anything larger than a 9, the Denise needles will do nicely. However, if I didn't already have the Denise needles, I would order a complete set of the Harmony Wood needles.

I don't care for Addi's blunt points, and the Addi Lace needles I tried at my LYS did not impress me as much as I expected them to. Again, it's all personal preference. I never thought I'd be a fan of wood needles, though.

Good luck with your choice!

Patricia

Antares
04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I have an old fishing tackle binder that I use for my circular needles.

Aha! I knew there was some way I could combine my love of fishing with knitting! GREAT idea--except my husband may object to the conversion since he thinks fishing tackles are for . . . . ummm . . . well, fishing!

Another point of intersection for knitting and fishing is when I used fishing swivels as stitch markers. I still prefer the string ones I made, but swivels work in a pinch (like when you're away from home and need markers really badly and the only thing you can find is a tackle box).

Wanda Witch
04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, guess I should also jump in here: I've used the Knit Picks, both the metal and wooden ones which were just fine. I tried the newer Knitter's Pride in both the metal and the wooden ones (round and cubics). I like the cables in both of these; however, I just bit the bullet recently and ordered a set of the Addi Lace Clicks Long Tip set and I am LOVIN' them. Just today I did order a couple of extra cables, extenders and end stoppers. It is an investment but I am so happy with the way the new Addi Lace needles perform. They DO NOT split the yarn (currently working on heavy worsted-type wool) and notice a tremendous difference after changing over to the new needles from the former ones on the same project. I will keep the other needles, as undoubtedly I will find uses for them but after having tried the newer ones I am sold 150%. Oh, by the way, a few years back prior, I guess, to the Addi changeables I had several sets of the fixed cables and did NOT like them at all as the cables were far too stiff, not so today. To each his own, but I found mine.

chj
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I've also had some problems with the Knit Picks cables breaking. The plastic part pulls out of the metal connector, often leaving dozens of stitches in the wake. This has happened 4-5 times and it is sooooo aggravating.

But the truth is, I'm a weirdo and prefer straights over circs anytime I can get away with it. :wink: Except when I make socks - I use magic loop. I have the non-interchangeable Knit Picks Harmony for that and I LOVE it.

ArtLady1981
04-10-2012, 12:34 AM
The only trouble I had with Knit Picks cables coming loose, breaking away from the metal thing was when I had 300-450 aran weight stitches on the 60" cable for my log cabin blanket, those lonnnnnnnnnnng outer logs!

I had to tug and pull the stitches along.....and SNAP!!! Darn cable let loose and I had a hot mess on my hands. Fortunately, I only had garter stitches on the cannes, easy to pick up. Tedious, but easy.

Had it happen again, too. Same scenario. So I've given up on using Knit Picks 42" & 60" cables for those 300+ stitches projects. I just cram them onto a 32".

I've tried "connecting" my Addi Clicks together to make a 50-60" cable, but that 3.5" metal connector is annoying as it slides back and forth through the stitches. It kinda snags.

So back to Plan A: the 32" cable of either brand.

Jan in CA
04-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Always hold the cable to slide the stitches along. Never hold the needle end. It puts too much stress on the cable join.

Sarahb69
04-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I'd be considered fairly new to knitting...I don't as yet do anything fancy, but I'd like to.

I started knitting on the cheap needles from Walmart and finally broke down and asked for a set of nice interchangeables for Mother's Day 2 years ago. My little girl (via daddy) bought me a set of the KNitPicks nickel options and I love them. I've not had a cable of theirs break and the needles glide through the yarns I've used to date.

1000% better than those cheap Walmart needles!:)

Ellen Edwards
04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
What sort of needle case did you get, Jan--for the Knitpicks set? I can't seem to keep my cables in anything--and especially the fixed ones for socks. Got any ideas or a picture or link to the case you got? I'd like to try the addies--but I can't afford them either, but the long Knitpicks cable for Magic Loop kind of gets in the way--not as "soft" as I'd like it to be

Ellen Edwards
04-10-2012, 04:09 PM
So--would the Addi Lace be good for knitting socks in Magic loop, do you think?

Jan in CA
04-11-2012, 01:45 AM
What sort of needle case did you get, Jan--for the Knitpicks set? I can't seem to keep my cables in anything--and especially the fixed ones for socks. Got any ideas or a picture or link to the case you got? I'd like to try the addies--but I can't afford them either, but the long Knitpicks cable for Magic Loop kind of gets in the way--not as "soft" as I'd like it to be

I do magic loop all the time with my Options. Guess it's personal choice. ;)

Here's where I got my needle case. I know 4 other people who use them and they all love them. I have the original case, not the multi-knitting case. I can fit almost two sets in the one I have and I prefer the snap to any other closure. She doesn't have them, but I HATE ties!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rosevans?section_id=6277487

This is another Etsy site that has almost identical ones. They are a little more money, but look very well made.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/southernwoolies?section_id=7036358

Both sites now have numbers as well. I think they will either sell you the numbers or you can have her iron them on for you.

ETA: I take my fixed circs and just loop them around themselves and pop them in a longer slot at the top. I don't have any trouble with them. The cables go in those for me as well.

Christinechrstms1
05-11-2012, 04:52 AM
hi, I am wondering if you could ask someone else to screw them together. The reason I say this is because I have an issue with my muscle strength at times and it is actually quite common. There is a possibility that if you have a bit of arthritis (in hands or neck), carpel tunnel or any bit of inflammation it can lead to muscle weakness. I first noticed mine when I was using scissors. I kept sending the scissors out for sharpening thinking that they were dull when all along my fingers were too weak to cut sutures. If I was quite busy with my hands I noticed I had trouble picking things up. If I rested my hands for a moment or two then I could resume the task. I can't trust myself to adequately tighten anything unless I rested my hands for a few moments to renew the strength in them.

Just a thought as others have said that they don't have problems with their set.

nonny2t
05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
I own all the interchangeables from Knitpicks, plus a whole set of 16 inch regular circs from knitpicks. I don't find the tightening so hard, just use the little "wrench" that comes with it and just tighten it as tight as you can get with it. One thing I have had multiple issues with knitpicks circs about is the cord coming out of the needle or in the case of the interchangeables, they have come out of the little screw part. I have had them replace at least 4 and I have two more right now that have worked partway out. This is some kind of manufacturing error I think as I don't pull on them or put stress on them in any way for this to happen.