PDA

View Full Version : FO: Comfort dolls and teddy bears

Olha
04-15-2012, 09:29 PM
While working on my hat patterns, I made these bears and dolls. They are for the same local hospital. They are super easy to make (free patterns), allow for creativity and take care of bits and odds in your stash :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/6936023138_958838a7a4.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7082098111_76889b29a3.jpg

Funny story/patterns update. I asked around for pro bono tech editing (for charity patterns) and someone agreed to look at them. I can't tell you how surprised I was to learn at the end who that person was -- a Big Name :) But you would never guess by attention to a total newbie's ideas and explanations... And now another kind soul, a local photographer, is helping with this project. Won't say more not to jinx it :), but will keep you updated.

p.s. Another funny thing -- Last week I was most appreciated as a crafty mama after I made two i-cord caterpillars :)

Antares
04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
I love your dolls and bears . . . and the kids will love them, too.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your update. Can't wait to hear (and see) more.

salmonmac
04-16-2012, 05:55 AM
The bears and dolls are adorable. And the news on the charity patterns project is terrific! Hope it all continues to go well on the project.

Jan in CA
04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Those are adorable! I've made a few dolls and bears myself.

GrumpyGramma
04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Wonderful dolls and bears, but of course you only do wonderful! Again, you show that you are a truly amazing person. Good for you!

nonny2t
04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
How cute and what a happy little bunch they are. Nice work!

Woodi
04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Just looking at your photos made me smile....truly comfort-dolls! Great work!

setty09
04-21-2012, 03:04 PM
The dolls and bears are adorable. I am sure that they will bring a lot of joy to the kids. It is truly kind and generous of you to provide this support for those in need. Keep up the great work! :yay:

ArtLady1981
04-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Ahhh, what a sweet little group of fellas!!!

Breezed
04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
I love making toys, even with no kids of my own. Very cute Olha.

Olha
04-28-2012, 08:11 PM
thanks,

yep, it's happy knitting. The only problem with my charity knitting I can't make the same item forever. I need a break but then I use some of those items as 'breaks' from other projects.

auburnchick
04-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Those are just adorable!! Great job! Wonderful of you to do also!!!

IslandTime
04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Adorable!! Best of luck, you deserve it!

Tamar Dohel
05-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Must make some. I have a lot of stuffing that needs using up. Where is the patterns?

I just love them! :heart:

Thanks,
Tamar

Olha
05-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks! If you go here halifaxcharityknitters.wordpress.com (http://halifaxcharityknitters.wordpress.com/) and click on 'teddy bears' and 'comfort dolls' in What We Knit tag cloud, you will see the posts and relevant links. These patterns are available online for free.

It's my blog to promote knitting for local charities, you might find something else there that intersts you.

fatoldladyinpjs
05-28-2012, 08:29 AM
I recognize the teddy bear pattern. That's one I've always wanted to do. Yours look much better than the pattern pics, though. Thanks for the hint on getting rid of stash. Good suggestion! And I hate to say 'I told you so' but I've been telling you for a year how talented you are with your designs and how you should get published. I hope you get the recognition you deserve. Good luck.

Olha
05-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Thank you, you are sweet :)

Ahem, about the teddy bear, I changed it, of course :) I am still thinking whether to add modifications or re-write it with permission. It's just different proportions -- longer body, shorter and thinner hands. So, altogether it's not just one line to add but I don't see how to contact the person who posted it first, there is no contact info on her website. So I picked a 'sister' charity site for reference...

I might get to it later, I think it's a brilliantly simple design that produces great results.

insanenewknitter
05-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Okay, I couldn't figure out whose link it was that I had clicked on!!!!
:wall:

Now I finally figured it out. A couple weeks ago I found the teddy bear pattern and fell head over heels for it, so I made a matching one for the baby set I had made for our crisis pregnancy center. Thank you for linking it because I couldn't find a toy pattern that I liked (and that was easy enough for me). The set is now complete.

BTW, yours are adorable.
:knitting:

Olha
05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks,

just because the teddy bears are showing really small in the tag cloud, here is a direct link (http://halifaxcharityknitters.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/iwk-health-centre-looking-for-comfort-dolls-and-teddy-bears/) to the post with bear-making steps showing and the pattern links.

PrincessMRC
06-07-2012, 09:50 AM
awwww how sweet!!!!!!:heart: