PDA

View Full Version : Adapting yarn for a pattern

knitcindy
05-09-2012, 09:12 AM
I bought some Patons Decor yarn from someone on Craigslist last month. The cardigan I'd like to make, however, calls for Patons Shetland Chunky.

Can I use the pattern I have if I just make the next size? And would I go up or down a size?

I would love to find a v-neck cardigan pattern in a beginner/ easy pattern that I could use this Decor yarn with. It has been VERY difficult to find a pattern for just a simple, long sleeve cardigan that you don't have to sew the button bands on at the end. I wish someone would publish a book of SIMPLE patterns (simple in difficulty AND simple in design).

THANKS for your help!!
knitcindy

suzeeq
05-09-2012, 09:50 AM
You can always knit your own button bands in, even if the pattern doesn't show them that way.

As for knitting a larger size, it depends - if your gauge with the worsted divided into the stitches given for the larger size will make the finished measurement you want, yes, that works. If the pattern is a top down raglan, you can increase until the back sts are half the measurement you need.

You can also use a pattern generator where you put in your gauge and the finished measurement and it makes a pattern for you. There's one at www.knittingfool.com and the Incredible Custom (http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html) fit pattern. For a V neck, just allow only one stitch for each front, and inc at that edge either every other row or every 4 rows, depending on how deep a V you want. Every 4 rows makes a V that ends a couple inches above the underarm.

Jan in CA
05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
www.knittingpureandsimple.com has great patterns that are simple in looks and easy to make. Most are top down I think.

I'll let Sue handle the bigger/smaller issue. I haven't done that because I get yarn after the pattern or look for a pattern based on my yarn instead of altering.

GrumpyGramma
05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
It has been VERY difficult to find a pattern for just a simple, long sleeve cardigan that you don't have to sew the button bands on at the end.

Depending on the pattern you might be able to pick up and knit the bands instead of sewing on after knitting. You could post your pattern link and ask for advice here. Picking up and knitting would change the look somewhat but if the pattern is simple it probably would work out just fine.

suzeeq
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Right, it's easier to pick them up. First time reading the OP, I was thinking 'attaching them later' and thought that's what she meant to. But she clearly wrote sewing them on, so I guess it was too early for me to understand that...