PDA

View Full Version : Finished: Live Oak Shawl

Antares
06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Whew!!!! I'm finally finished with something. Seems like everything I've touched knit-wise lately has gone awry, BUT this is done, blocked, and waiting for a much cooler day (it's 100+ here now--and rather dry as you can see from the picture).

This is the Live Oak Shawlette (but mine turned into a shawl) by Rosemary (Romi) Hill and is found in the Fall 2011 Knitscene magazine. Here's a link to it on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/live-oak-shawlette

This was my first time using a chart, and other than goofing up and thinking I needed to go through chart A twice, it went quite well. Really, though, my "goof up" just made the shawl longer, so it wasn't actually a frogging issue (thank God). It was also my first experience in intricate blocking. Not perfect, but it'll work!

This is not a great picture as the wind, which has been calm all day, insisted on blowing. I'll try to post a better picture later.

Thanks for looking!

Jan in CA
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
That is gorgeous!

nonny2t
06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
It is truly lovely and I love the color. Using a chart is one of those things you truly have to have time to sit and do so you don't get lost, etc.:)

Antares
06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks, Nonny. I just happened to have this green sock yarn from KnitPicks, and I thought it a suitable match for a shawl with "live oak" in its name (seeing as how they are evergreens). The shawl in the magazine is done in lovely shades of brown--beautiful, but not quite right (in my humble but accurate opinion).

And, yes, the charts certainly did require some concentration, but I found them easier to follow than written directions.

justplaincharlotte
06-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Ohhhh, that is LOVELY!!! Such a gorgeous color, and beautiful work too Antares! :inlove:

Olha
06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Beautiful! Shawls are mysterious objects for me -- I am hypnotised by their geometric beauty but have no intention on making one in a foreseeable future. I consider them 'art' while I am mostly doing 'craft' part of knitting. The total 'uselessness' as far as my wardrobe goes only makes this point stronger -- beauty for the sake of beauty.

But I hope you will enjoy wearing it and getting tons of compliments! :)

dturner
06-25-2012, 10:11 PM
That's beautiful! I love the color you chose.

salmonmac
06-26-2012, 05:41 AM
How beautiful! It looks like just the lightest of breezes would waft it away. Enjoy every elegant moment of wearing it.

aprilbetty
06-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Your shawl is lovely!

I enjoy working from charts. In fact, if I am doing a pattern that does not have a chart, I will make one -- on graph paper.

insanenewknitter
06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
It's beautiful!! I love the color!!

Antares
06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Here's a better picture of the details:

Olha, I understand what you're saying, and I agree. In fact, I may end up giving this away since I'm not really much of a lace person myself. I love the look of lace knitting (or is it knitted lace?), though, and wanted to try it.

I'm actually quite astounded at having successfully completed this shawl. But I really have to give credit where credit's due--the designer created a gorgeous pattern with such simple stitches!

livn4them
06-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Stunning! You did a FABULOUS job :yay:

ArtLady1981
06-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I love shawls and this one in particular! Great job!

ArtLady1981
06-26-2012, 09:25 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55951&thumb=1&d=1340741237

Love the photo!!! YUMMY!!!!! :heart:

InterNette
06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
This is lovely. I adore shawls and this looks so difficult but oh so beautiful. You should be very proud. I would be if I did something that intricate.

Antares
06-30-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. You're inspiring me to finish something else now!

Stonington
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
:heart: I love this! You did an incredible job! :balloons:
Here's a better picture of the details:

Olha, I understand what you're saying, and I agree. In fact, I may end up giving this away since I'm not really much of a lace person myself. I love the look of lace knitting (or is it knitted lace?), though, and wanted to try it.

I'm actually quite astounded at having successfully completed this shawl. But I really have to give credit where credit's due--the designer created a gorgeous pattern with such simple stitches!

IslandTime
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on a truly beautiful piece. :thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Beautiful! :heart: Those eye-like patterns remind me of the gorgeous tail of a peacock. Great job on your first chart project.

Antares
07-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Beautiful! :heart: Those eye-like patterns remind me of the gorgeous tail of a peacock. Great job on your first chart project.

Yeah, I think they're supposed to be live oak leaves, but I've never seen a live oak leaf yet that had holes in the middle of it. :shrug:

Oh well, it makes for a nice pattern regardless of what they call it, and yes, it does look kind of like a peacock tail.

I'm thinking of entering this in a local craft competition here in my hometown. But my husband says I'm being mean and unfair to the little old ladies--you know, the ones who only know how to make granny square afghans and toilet roll covers. I say, "Bahhhh!" to that!

auburnchick
07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
That, my dear, is GORGEOUS! Love the color and the lace work!

Christinechrstms1
07-11-2012, 06:28 AM
it is very pretty!

Christinechrstms1
07-15-2012, 04:04 AM
it turned out beautiful!

GrumpyGramma
06-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I think they're supposed to be live oak leaves, but I've never seen a live oak leaf yet that had holes in the middle of it. :shrug:

Oh well, it makes for a nice pattern regardless of what they call it, and yes, it does look kind of like a peacock tail.

I'm thinking of entering this in a local craft competition here in my hometown. But my husband says I'm being mean and unfair to the little old ladies--you know, the ones who only know how to make granny square afghans and toilet roll covers. I say, "Bahhhh!" to that!

Breathtakingly beautiful! Did you enter the competition?

Antares
06-21-2013, 07:11 PM
GG: Yes, I got first place, but once again (like the previous year), I didn't get there in time to see if that meant anything--meaning I quite possibly could have been the only person with an entry in that category (small town fairs, what can I say?).

Thank you for your kind comments and for resurrecting this project to make it. :teehee: