PDA

View Full Version : Confusing instructions

sissyv
06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm a little confused by these instructions:

Begin decreasing as follows, switching to double pointed needles when necessary.
Rnd 1 *k13, sl 1, k1, psso, sl 1*
Rnd 2 and all even rounds knit
Rnd 3 *k12, sl 1, k1, psso, Sl 1*
Continue in this manner, decreasing 1 less stitch between decreases through round 26.
Rnd 27 *k2tog*
Break yarn and run through remaining sts. Weave in all ends.

So, decreasing 1 less stitch, does this mean that the next dec is k 11 ? Then knit and next 10? How many stiches should I have left by row 27?
I think I understand I just want some clarity before going ahead(then maybe realizing I was doing it wrong!)
Thanks
Sis:knitting:

Antares
06-26-2012, 11:00 PM
I take it you are knitting a hat?

Yes, it looks to me like you've got it. You'll be following the pattern started in rnds 1-3, so rnd 4 will be k 11, sl 1, k1, psso, s1, and then when you get to rnd 6, you'll k 10, etc., etc.

I'm not sure how many stitches you'll have left on round 27 because I don't know how many you're starting out with.

P.S. Be sure to very securely secure the yarn that you "run through remaining sts" (ask me how I know).

margrue
07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
How many stiches should I have left by row 27?

By my count, you should have 2 stitches left by row 27, then you knit the 2tog and you will be left with one.

suzeeq
07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
No that wouldn't be right, the top would be too pointy. It says to run the yarn through the remaining stitches, plural.

Jan in CA
07-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I usually decrease hats till about 8 stitches give or take. then you cut the yarn to about 8-10 inches, put it on a yarn needle and go through the remaining stitches on the needle and take the needles out. I go through them all again then put the yarn to the inside and weave in the ends.

This makes a nice rounded top.

margrue
07-10-2012, 11:23 PM
[quote=sissyv;1351037]I'm a little confused by these instructions:

Begin decreasing as follows, switching to double pointed needles when necessary.
Rnd 1 *k13, sl 1, k1, psso, sl 1*

These directions start with 16 sts. So your hat has 80, 96,or 112 sts, a multiple of 16. You would repeat the directions between the * * around the entire row on your hat, and yes you will be knitting one less stitch in each of those rows between the decreases. When you get to row 27 you have 1 stitch left in each of those multiples. So if you started with 80 sts you would have 5 sts left after row 27; if you started with 96 sts you would have 6 sts left; and so on. Those finals sts are what you thread the end through and draw up tightly to close up the top.