PDA

View Full Version : Help with pattern

girasole
08-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone

I really need your help for the cardi that I knit.I am struggling with it for days……

The pattern -98 sts - goes like this

row 1:purl
row 2:k6,yfwd,sl1,k1,pssok4,yfwd,sl1,k1,psso,rep from to last 6 sts,k6
row 3: purl
row 4:k6,k2tog,yfwdk4,k2tog,yfrwd,rep from to last 6 sts,k6

I repeated the pattern several times and stopped at row 3 and then casted off 4 sts at the beg of next 2 rows -row 4 and row 1 - and now I have 90sts,as the pattern says.

Now follows the part that confuses me:
dec 1 st at each end of next 5 rows,then on foll 3 alt rows -74 sts
how will I make the decreases and at the same time keep the pattern correct?I get confused with all the yfwd and k2tog and psso.how should I start the rows?The row that I should start dec is row no 2.

Please help me:heart:

Rorshach
08-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Well if you're shaping the ends of the rows, you could use left slanting decrease like ssk (slip, slip, knit) and a right slanting decrease like k2tog. Usually you'd want to knit or purl the first stitch, then decrease, follow the pattern to the last 3 stitches, decrease and knit or purl the last stitch.

So to put it in context starting with row 2, may look something like this:

k 1, ssk, k3, yfwd, sl 1, k1, psso, k4, yfwd, sl1, k1, psso, rep from to last 6 sts, k3, ssk, k1.

Or something to that effect. Hope that helps out.

salmonmac
08-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Right now you have 2 sts on either end of the row and so you'll decrease one of those at each end of the next 2 rows (rows 2 and 3). For the decrease on row 4 omit the first and last yfwd. From there on you're out of the pattern st and into 5 stockinette st so that the decreases are straightforward.

Basically you're giving up the first and last pattern repeats in order to do the decreases. It will probably seem clearer as you see the sts on the needle.