PDA

View Full Version : Laid up

NorthernIrelandKnitter
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I fell last week and broke my ankle. I spent 4 nights in hospital and now have to keep my leg elevated. It will be in plaster for 6 weeks. I tried doing a bit of knitting, but found it too tiring.

Gillian

Rorshach
08-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Well that doesn't sounds like a whole lot of fun. Now as far as elevated, do you have to keep your leg above your heart, or other such nonsense? or is it so that there's just not a whole lot of pressure on it? If the former, I can see why knitting would be tiring for you. Either way, get to feeling better quick so you can get back to doing what you love.

salmonmac
08-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh, Gillian, sorry to hear about the ankle. I hope things are better soon. All the best.

Antares
08-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Ouch! So sorry to hear about your injury. I pray you'll have a speedy recovery!

Perhaps you can look at patterns or read or watch movies? Then when you're feeling a little better, maybe you'll be more inclined to take up knitting again.

Jeremy
08-27-2012, 10:47 AM
So Sorry Gillian!:hug: Hope you feel better soon. Perhaps you'll feel more like knitting once you are able to sit up.

Becky Morgan
08-27-2012, 11:41 PM
:grphug: Ow! I hope it feels better soon. It's a shame to have downtime and feel too bad to knit!

Daylilydayzed
08-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Hope your ankle heals very fast!

Jan in CA
08-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Oh no, hope it feels better soon! After you start healing you should be up to knitting again.

ArtLady1981
08-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Ouch. So sorry to hear that you broke an ankle! Never been down that road! That must have been a bad fall! An ankle is a tough customer! Sprains...yes...but broke? 4 days in the hospital? Yikes!

I wish you a speedy recovery. :hug:

nonny2t
08-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Oh, how awful. Prayers go out to you for fast healing and recovery. Hugs to you to feel better. It takes a couple days before the pain subsides and you feel a little more normal. I broke my foot about 38 years ago and the idiot corpmen who put on my cast didn't put the sock on first and put the plaster straight on my leg and foot. It started crumbling and itched like the devil. My son was under 2 and his dad was in the Navy and out to sea. I was living in CA and had no family out there so it was a challenge. Feel better real soon, you hear???

fatoldladyinpjs
09-01-2012, 09:50 AM
I just got done recovering from a nasty fall down the basement stairs. It's not fun. I was fortunate that I had no broken bones, only bruises. I'm sorry this had to happen to you. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

salmonmac
09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Gillian and the Nice Lady in PJs, hope you're both better soon: bruises gone and bones knitting together quickly.

NorthernIrelandKnitter
09-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Thank you for all your nice get well messages. There is a good chance that I could have osteoporosis, which could have been the reason why my bone broke. The main reason for staying so long was to do with needing to see the occupational therapist and her not being there. A friendly and chatty lot of fellow patients helped the time pass ok.

Unfortunately my recovery has not been as good as it had seemed. When they put a lightweight cast on instead of the heavy, plaster one today and took an x-ray they noticed that my ankle joint was too wide. They advised that I would need a plate put in to correct the problem. I have to go in tomorrow morning our time for surgery at about 1 pm and should be in for 1 or 2 nights.

I have to keep my leg elevated so that the blood keeps flowing to my heart.

Goodness me, Nonny, that was a very difficult challenge you faced. I don't know what I would have done without my hubby this past 3 weeks.

Lady in pjs, be careful near those basement stairs!

Gillian