PDA

View Full Version : Always a Newbie

ZanyKnitter
09-18-2012, 06:10 PM
I have found that no matter how much I learn, there is still so much I don't know!!

salmonmac
09-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I think that's the essense of being a knitter. I feel the same way.

Jan in CA
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Yep! :thumbsup: Welcome to Knitting Help!

suzeeq
09-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Heh, I've been knitting over 45 years and I still seem to learn something new every week. Learning never stops.

DavidSydney63
09-19-2012, 03:19 AM
I have this amazing book, sort of a coffee table book, called "The Knitting Book". It's an encyclopedia of all things knitting, hard bound, 400 pages, full colour. Published by DK (Penguin), by Frederica Patmore and Vikki Haffenden.

It's my bible of knitting ... anyone else share their fav. knitting bible?

justplaincharlotte
09-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I have this amazing book, sort of a coffee table book, called "The Knitting Book". It's an encyclopedia of all things knitting, hard bound, 400 pages, full colour. Published by DK (Penguin), by Frederica Patmore and Vikki Haffenden.

It's my bible of knitting ... anyone else share their fav. knitting bible?

I've never seen that one David. Maybe my public library has a copy I can take a look at.

My knitting bible would have to be "Portuguese Style of Knitting: History, Traditions, and Techniques," by Andrea Wong.

Since the style is so different, figuring out how to work something as simple as a SSK, or knitting through the back loop was a
challenge for me.

But they're all laid out in that book. For me it's the only must have in my knitting library.

How's that hoodie going?

GrumpyGramma
09-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Ain't knittin' great? I think it will be impossible to get totally tired of knitting when there is always something else I can try.

JLonier
09-24-2012, 10:11 PM
What amazes me is where an interest in knitting can lead to. I love to find antique patterns of all kinds and as a result of that I got interested in netting and spent some time playing around with that. It's an awesome adventure :D

AmandaR1983
09-25-2012, 04:21 PM
I've only just started knitting, so I know just how much I don't know. So, this newbie is really a newbie.

GrumpyGramma
09-25-2012, 11:30 PM
I've only just started knitting, so I know just how much I don't know. So, this newbie is really a newbie.
Welcome to knitting and knittinghelp. I consider myself a newbie still, I've only been knitting for a little over a year. Even the most experienced knitters here were newbies once.

MerigoldinWA
09-25-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't really think a beginner does realize how much they don't know. Really I don't think any of us really understand how much there is to this craft. I know I don't. It is just amazing; that is what is so fascinating about it I think.

I've told this story before, but it bares repeating. Years ago I was knitting along, sitting in the living room of the lady who owned the little LYS in my town that was right in her home. I considered her a great knitting (crocheting too) guru (still do) and I asked her, "So Verla, how long did it take you to learn everything about knitting?". Without missing a beat she answered, "I don't know everything about knitting". Right then was when I began to get a hint of how much I didn't know. If Verla didn't know everything, I was sure I never would.

DavidSydney63
09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
I love knitting so much (despite the hoodie). I'm looking foward to new challenges and learning new and exciting techniques. To think, it's really only down to two stitches ... but what you can do with them is amazing.:woohoo:
:knitting:

GrumpyGramma
09-26-2012, 01:48 PM
I love knitting so much (despite the hoodie). I'm looking foward to new challenges and learning new and exciting techniques. To think, it's really only down to two stitches ... but what you can do with them is amazing.:woohoo:
:knitting:

Kind of like a computer, bit or no bit, and here we are posting at this forum with people all over the world. I love seeing things that are knitted by people the world over, learning how the techniques differ, etc. David, you finished your hoodie? I don't remember if you said, sorry. :aww:

Since this is about newbies, I guess saying that I finally learned to k and p English after learning Continental is OK. I don't know why I couldn't get it to work before but finally, I did it. That opens up more possibilities, yarn in each hand, multi color knitting, I guess that someone who is really good could do more than one color with each hand. Just thinking about makes my head ache!.

MerigoldinWA
09-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Kind of like a computer, bit or no bit, and here we are posting at this forum with people all over the world.

I like this GrumpyGramma. So true.

Some folks knit with 2 colors in the left hand Continental style, doing it pretty much like regular, but picking up just the color you need each time. I can do it after a fashion but usually revert to working with a color in each hand. And they also have those gizmos (can't think of what they are called right now) that hold the yarns and separate them a bit for you so you can hold them both in your left hand.

GrumpyGramma
09-26-2012, 02:18 PM
And they also have those gizmos (can't think of what they are called right now) that hold the yarns and separate them a bit for you so you can hold them both in your left hand.

I saw that, I think at Knit Picks. When I order again, I plan to add that in. It looks like a great way to do it. I've not managed 2 colors in 1 hand, I think I lack the coordination skills. Of course, that's what I blamed for my inability to knit English. LOL Maybe I need to practice?:ick: