PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Needles and Why.

purpleldy1
10-06-2012, 08:06 PM
As a newbie. I bought a bulk set of various styles of needles on Ebay. It consists of mostly metal. I like how easily the yarn glides on and off of the metal needles but as a newbie I find it frustrating with the DpN. I have one set of circulars in a plastic material but they stitches don't flow as well, but I do like knitting without the needles catching on my sleeves, chair arms and anything else to the side of me. I haven't tried wood or bamboo and I don't know what brands they are except the DpN are Aero. What Needles are your favorite, and Why? Should I buy a sampler set? Help a Newbie out.

GrumpyGramma
10-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I like the interchangeable sets from Knit Picks http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Knitting_Needle_Sets__L300301.html and WEBS http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-needles-knitters-pride-interchangeable-circular/. Both offer sampler sets that include tips of the various materials. Right now I'm trying to convince myself I can afford to order a set of the wood interchangeables. I like the way the wood feels but mainly the points seem sharper on them than on the metal ones; otherwise I like them both. I don't like acrylic.

Jan in CA
10-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Best thing is type in interchangeable needles in the KH search box. There are already a ton of threads.

You'll find some interchangeables have a much better cable than others. The sample set is a good idea.

Knitpicks - i have a couple sets of nickel plated Options that I love. Have also used the wood Harmony and those are nice, too. Affordable.

Addi Turbo- I have several pairs of these and like them a lot. Expensive.

Denise- nice set, but I personally don't care for plastic and don't like the cable. Lots of people love them though. Affordable.

Hiya Hiya - haven't used them, but have friends who live them. Don't know the price point.

salmonmac
10-07-2012, 02:47 AM
This is so much a matter or personal opinion although as Jan recommends, there's lots of good advice in previous posts. I like the nickel-plated needles myself but not in dpns. A grabbier needle, e.g. bamboo, works better for me in that case. Try as many different kinds as you can till you learn which you prefer and for which yarn type.

PearlB3
10-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I like the nickle plated and harmony-wood circular ones from knit picks.

DavidSydney63
10-08-2012, 04:48 AM
The ones I'm using at the time ...

kelbel
10-08-2012, 06:48 AM
I like using the bamboo ones. They seem to grip the yarn better for me. Metal ones also lose their pretty coating and slip around too much!

londonleo
10-08-2012, 10:52 AM
well, to me it's a combination of personal preference and project.

most of the time i go for circular needles with metal tips.
'prym' metal circulars - good tips and the transition to the cable is even. soft cables too.
'pony' - no! no! no!... cheap but nasty.
'addi click' - my favourite! all addis are nice and I had some before I got the basic set the other day. the click system is very reliable and one can connect and disconnect tips and needles in 2sec... no fiddle, no screwing in/out... just click it. not cheap, but a real joy.

there are also benefits to bamboo needles. such like that it makes less 'clickediclick' noise while knitting. good if one likes to knit and watch movies at the same time. also while working with very soft yarn it can be helpful if the needles have more grip, so avoid needles sliding out to easily... especially when making socks etc where one needle is unsupported while knitting.

over all - i vote for addi. - they also do a starter kit (metal tips only) so one could try and than add bamboo or lace tips to test.

ArtLady1981
10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I recommend KnitPicks "Harmony" interchangeable circular needles to a new knitter.

They are slick and quick, but not overly so. Affordable piece by piece...or as a set.

Being an admitted needle hound, I've purchased bulk circular knitting needles, mixed batches various brands, some no brand at all, for dirt cheap from Ebay, and come upon some sets that remain personal favs.

Daylilydayzed
10-14-2012, 01:57 AM
well, to me it's a combination of personal preference and project.

most of the time i go for circular needles with metal tips.
'prym' metal circulars - good tips and the transition to the cable is even. soft cables too.
'pony' - no! no! no!... cheap but nasty.
'addi click' - my favourite! all addis are nice and I had some before I got the basic set the other day. the click system is very reliable and one can connect and disconnect tips and needles in 2sec... no fiddle, no screwing in/out... just click it. not cheap, but a real joy.

there are also benefits to bamboo needles. such like that it makes less 'clickediclick' noise while knitting. good if one likes to knit and watch movies at the same time. also while working with very soft yarn it can be helpful if the needles have more grip, so avoid needles sliding out to easily... especially when making socks etc where one needle is unsupported while knitting.

over all - i vote for addi. - they also do a starter kit (metal tips only) so one could try and than add bamboo or lace tips to test.

I like my Addi Clicks but I don't like the join. I am knitting a smoke ring for my daughter-in-law using the addi clicks and the lace weight yarn keeps catching on the join. I have to fiddle with the yarn to get it up and over the lip of the needle join area especially on the pattern row. If it has yarnovers in it they catch on that lip of metall.

ArtLady1981
10-14-2012, 02:47 AM
I love the Addi Clicks, too. The join is a horrendous problem on US6 and smaller. Sizes US7 and up perform wonderfully.

I use Addi set circs for all smaller sizes US6 and under. Or, good ole Knit Picks OPTIONS.

Jan in CA
10-14-2012, 02:54 AM
I just ordered some Hiya Hiya size 0 so now I'll have my 3 pair of socks on Knit Picks Options, Addi fixed circs and Hiya Hiya. All size 0 so I'll let you know.

JudyD
10-14-2012, 07:52 AM
I have Addis, Hiyas, and sets from Ebay, but my all-time favorites in straights, DPNs, and circulars are Aero/Inox/Prym. I first used them when they were sold as Bernat Aero over 50+ years ago. They're affordable, work well for me, and are made in the USA.

Judy

GrumpyGramma
10-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I have Addis, Hiyas, and sets from Ebay, but my all-time favorites in straights, DPNs, and circulars are Aero/Inox/Prym. I first used them when they were sold as Bernat Aero over 50+ years ago. They're affordable, work well for me, and are made in the USA.

Judy

Judy, where do you get them? ~~GG

ETA: Duh. I could have specified which ones, I'm thinking specifically of the Hiyas and Aero/Inox/Prym needles.

JudyD
10-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Judy, where do you get them? ~~GG

ETA: Duh. I could have specified which ones, I'm thinking specifically of the Hiyas and Aero/Inox/Prym needles.

I get the Aero/Inox/Prym from Handknitting.com With my last order I got a handwritten note from Laurel explaining that the Prym's were the same as Aero/Inox (I had ordered Inox needles).

I get the Hiya's from Fabric.com, one of my favorite sites for yarn at good prices.

I try to buy USA made products as much as I can.

Judy

GrumpyGramma
10-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I get the Aero/Inox/Prym from Handknitting.com With my last order I got a handwritten note from Laurel explaining that the Prym's were the same as Aero/Inox (I had ordered Inox needles).

I get the Hiya's from Fabric.com, one of my favorite sites for yarn at good prices.

I try to buy USA made products as much as I can.

Judy

I'm looking at fabric.com now. Free shipping @$35. I think I'll order from them and include a fixed circ hiya and who knows what else. Thanks!

GrumpyGramma
10-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks to Judy, I ended up ordering a Hiya Hiya set of U.S. size 2 tips and a cable for them. If I like it on the smallest they had, then the larger sizes should be great. They got me with their free shipping on orders of $35 and a 10% off on $40. I ended up spending just about $40 including tax. Expensive needles!!! The yarn and a few other things that should be in the same pkg. will help with the sticker shock. :roflhard:

ETA: It turns out the Hiya tips I ordered are out of stock as is one of the sock yarns. They already shipped the order and I will have a cable for Hiya tips but no tips to go on it. Hmmmm..... If they'd let me know I would have changed the order to get a different size of the tips. Anyhow, they still gave me free shipping and the 10% off even though my order is now under $23 including tax. I will undoubtedly order from them again, knowing I'm taking a chance on things not being available because they still gave me free shipping and the coupon discount. They really know how to make this fool part with her money!

Jan in CA
10-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks to Judy, I ended up ordering a Hiya Hiya set of U.S. size 2 tips and a cable for them. If I like it on the smallest they had, then the larger sizes should be great. They got me with their free shipping on orders of $35 and a 10% off on $40. I ended up spending just about $40 including tax. Expensive needles!!! The yarn and a few other things that should be in the same pkg. will help with the sticker shock. :roflhard:

I ordered my Hiya Hiya from a different place, but I figured the $8 I spent on each circ wasn't that much more than KP and I wanted to try them. They were half as much as Addi's. I got 0's.

GrumpyGramma
10-15-2012, 01:08 AM
I ordered my Hiya Hiya from a different place, but I figured the $8 I spent on each circ wasn't that much more than KP and I wanted to try them. They were half as much as Addi's. I got 0's.

Jan, are yours fixed circs? Where did you get yours? The smallest at that site for Hiyas of either sort is 2, I'm getting the interchangeable ones.

Jan in CA
10-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Jan, are yours fixed circs? Where did you get yours? The smallest at that site for Hiyas of either sort is 2, I'm getting the interchangeable ones.

I got a couple fixed circs at Eat.Sleep.Knit because I needed them so small. I'm happy with my KP interchangeables including the zeros, but my friend loves her Hiya Hiya and I needed a few more so got them to try. I don't think you'll find smaller than a 2 in interchangeables because of cable size and what you need for a join.
http://www.eatsleepknit.com/

JudyD
10-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Fabric.com has sales on the Hiya's. Did you sign up for their e-mails?

(Now she's really going to blame me for her addiction to Fabric.com! :teehee: )

Judy

GrumpyGramma
10-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Fabric.com has sales on the Hiya's. Did you sign up for their e-mails?

(Now she's really going to blame me for her addiction to Fabric.com! :teehee: )

Judy

Sales on Hiyas? Didn't know that! I think I sense a codependency developing here.

They had clearanced sock yarn I wanted and a couple of gadgety things. I needed another size 2 needle and figured it was a good way to see what everyone is talking about. Jan is also contributing to my habit, the site she gave the link for is also a terrible place to go. They might get my next order.

Jan in CA
10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
:roflhard: No kidding! It used to be that if you were trying not to spend money you stayed home...now there is Internet shopping! :lol:

ETA... Forgot to tell you... I take Ambien at night. You hear about the occasional case of people sleep walking or eating, but I discovered a new one. Twice now I've sleep shopped. Luckily I've only gotten small knitting things.

GrumpyGramma
10-15-2012, 02:59 PM
:roflhard: No kidding! It used to be that if you were trying not to spend money you stayed home...now there is Internet shopping! :lol:

ETA... Forgot to tell you... I take Ambien at night. You hear about the occasional case of people sleep walking or eating, but I discovered a new one. Twice now I've sleep shopped. Luckily I've only gotten small knitting things.

OMG that's scary! I was expecting you to say sleep knitting. I bet you're not the only one who's done that, Jan. Sometimes I am really glad I can't take Rx drugs.

It's so hard for me to spend money that by the time I finally am ready to complete the order, limited stock items could be all sold out. I always walk away and do something else before finalizing.

ETA: Unfortunately virtual shopping can lead to IRL NSF!

Jan in CA
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
OMG that's scary! I was expecting you to say sleep knitting. I bet you're not the only one who's done that, Jan. Sometimes I am really glad I can't take Rx drugs.

It's so hard for me to spend money that by the time I finally am ready to complete the order, limited stock items could be all sold out. I always walk away and do something else before finalizing.

ETA: Unfortunately virtual shopping can lead to IRL NSF!

I forgot that I also bought some vanilla syrup on Amazon one night. It was missing the pump so I sent an email and they refunded the whole thing so that one was okay. Actually the others were a couple $3 patterns so no big deal.

I have trouble spending money, too. That's probably what saved me from spending much. I am apparently cautious in my sleep, too! :lol:

Wish I could sleep w/o help, but I've tried every "remedy" known to man and I'm just not a good sleeper. :shrug:

GrumpyGramma
10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
I forgot that I also bought some vanilla syrup on Amazon one night. It was missing the pump so I sent an email and they refunded the whole thing so that one was okay. Actually the others were a couple $3 patterns so no big deal.

I have trouble spending money, too. That's probably what saved me from spending much. I am apparently cautious in my sleep, too! :lol:

Wish I could sleep w/o help, but I've tried every "remedy" known to man and I'm just not a good sleeper. :shrug:

I go through stages of sleeping pretty well and then not sleeping well at all. Fortunately for my downstairs neighbor knitting:knitting: is quiet. Maybe you'll wake up one morning and find a complicated project finished to perfection. They say that people who are hypnotized can't be made to do things they would normally not do (like "when you wake up you will kill this person" as an extreme example) and I expect the the altered state of consciousness with sleep activity is similar and you won't spend huge amounts ever.

cryaegm
10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
I really like bamboo needles. They're my favorite for dpns.

Recently I received my grandmother's knitting needles--really old ones. She has a bunch of Marcia Lynn circular needles that I can't wait to try out. A couple look to be plastic, so knitting with them should be interesting.

TEMA
10-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm crazy for dpn's size 4mm or 5mm. Love knitting socks with them and fingerless gloves. They seem to fit my hand well and I'm not always stabbing myself with them and I seem to knit faster and with more equal tension.
I have circulars, got the interchangeable ones and I love them too especially for sweaters and other large knitted things but I always come back to my double points.
The ones I love are a soft purple colour... :)
TEMA

Ermely
10-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I love my knit Pro 4 mm , the yarn slip on it and my husband appraciate to watch the football without the clic clic noise ... :teehee:
He offers me a hook in the same brand .... is there a subliminal message under it ?

GrumpyGramma
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM

Darn it! I just found out some of my sock yarn was sold out and so were the Hiya tips. I'll have to go look at the other site. I have to know: Do I like Haya Hiyas? I know I don't particularly like the Addi Turbo circs I have. The points are too rounded and the cable is kinky.

(Darn it! pun intended) ;)

Shandeh
10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
My choice of knitting needle depends entirely on which yarn I am using at the time. When I start a new project, I try different needles until I find the ones that work best with that yarn.

For cotton yarn, I usually prefer using plastic needles.
For wool yarn, I use my Denise set.
For acrylic yarn, I use metal needles.

Jan in CA
10-27-2012, 02:28 AM
I received my Hiya Hiya needles and have been testing them and I gotta say I LOVE them! I'm afraid I see another set of needles in my future. Still like my KP and the few Addis I have so they'll get used, too.

Shandeh
10-28-2012, 02:48 AM
I've been collecting Addi Turbos, because they are my favorite when working with acrylic yarns and blends. But I would like to try those square knitting needles. Know what I'm talking about?

GrumpyGramma
10-28-2012, 04:28 AM
But I would like to try those square knitting needles. Know what I'm talking about?

Cubics. I have a Sz. 3 circ., it's grea, very pointy. It does seem to be easier to hold. I'm not sure I'd like all my needles to be Cubics.

Ermely
10-28-2012, 04:40 AM
I don't understand how you can love knitting with circular :??

A friend of mine tried to learn me how to but ... I didn't get how to !!:hair:
Without a needle under my left elbow, I'm completely lost !!
And, when 2 stitches are too near, it's more crocheting than knitting ... Too hard for me, snif , I'm definitiely lost for circular I'm afraid ... :frog:

GrumpyGramma
10-28-2012, 01:53 PM

And, when 2 stitches are too near, it's more crocheting than knitting ... Too hard for me, snif , I'm definitiely lost for circular I'm afraid ... :frog:

Unless and until you need or want to use circulars, don't worry about them. If knitting isn't enjoyable, then why bother? When I knit with straight needles I'm forever dropping and often losing one of them. I don't know how you'd knit with a needle under your left elbow, but that's OK. People could look at the way I knit and wonder how I do it. We all have different ways of doing things. If it works out, that's all that really matters.

Jan in CA
10-28-2012, 02:44 PM

I don't know what you mean that it's more crocheting than knitting. :?? Knitting with circulars is exactly the same as knitting with straights except you can knit in the round with no seams or flat. .

If your prefer your straights and don't mind seams then stick with what works for you. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
10-29-2012, 03:05 AM
I don't understand how you can love knitting with circular

Here's my video, which shows how to do basic straight knitting with circular needles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7Wczfb_xY

knit2btied
11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
When I started DPN usage, I purchased a set of bamboo in the size I was using. As I got more familiar with them I switched to steel needles. I never use plastic because they drag on the yarn. Wood and bamboo drag also, just not so much.

I'm currently using Hiya Hiya brand needles a lot because of the low price plus low nickel in the finish. I almost always use circular needles for flat knitting. No ends to catch on things plus lighter on the wrists. I use DPNs for small circular projects and circulars for larger circular projects

Welcome to knitting!