PDA

View Full Version : adding knitting onto ready-made clothes

susianna
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
In one of my knitting books, it mentions knitting on to clothing, for example to make it longer (and maybe prettier with lace?) Does anyone know how to do this? And, does the piece of clothing have to be a knit piece? Any ideas to knit on decoratively? (bobbles,etc.)
Thanks much!:wink:

salmonmac
10-19-2012, 05:43 AM
There are patterns for lace trim that is sewn onto fabric like this one (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/knit-a-lace-edging-from-the-fireside) on Ravelry. You could search for knit trim or edging there for more. And there are patterns for girls' dresses like these with a knit bodice and fabric skirt.
http://www.knotions.com/issues/summer_2009/patterns/sunny_sunny_sunny/directions.aspx
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-two-summer-sundress

RochesterKnitter
10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
You could

1) knit the piece/extension separately and then sew it on or
2) Hand stitch a row around the edge of the garment with desired yarn by hand, which is then used to "pick up" sts and knit directly onto the garment from there. This requires you to known your knitting gauge before hand so you know how many sts to space around the garment's edge.

susianna
10-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Salmonmac, what excellent information.....I haven't clicked onto those sites yet, I'll do it later tonight, tho. Thanks for getting my imagination rolling in that direction! It's funny, sometimes we can read a bit of this 'n that, (knitting related, of course, and in this case your this 'n that!) and suddenly our minds expand and make connections to other ideas. That's how it works for me, anyway. Maybe I'm just weird. :aww:

Rochester, Thank you, I never would've thought of that! I'll probably make the extention first then sew it on, since I'm newbie-ish and not good with gauge from a free design perspective-at least that's what I'm thinking. From one of my knitting books, she gives two easy formulas.....it's basic math, super easy, you just plug in the numbers (sts per inch, how wide you want your piece to be in inches, etc) and you can find out things like how many stitches to cast on for your project, how to figure out the width will be.....wait, this is more for designing your own project, because she states "now of course if you're knitting a project from a book,etc., you'll use their gauge numbers." So, I can do this, or at least give it a try. So double thanks on your ideas!;)

susianna
10-22-2012, 02:11 AM
:woot: Salmonmac, I took a peek at those two websites and got some ideas from the girls' dresses. For the first one with the bodice and the fabric skirt, I think I'll make a shorter skirt by knitting it in the round, possibly with an eyelet stitch pattern; I have a lovely knit sleeveless top in a charcoal gray that I can sew it onto; the top is too short, and adding a short "skirt" would be the ticket. Of course I must measure and get gauge (a simplified way to get gauge I read in one of my knitting books which is thorough and easy! I just explained this to Rochester.) Not sure about which stitch pattern to use....any ideas? And any color suggestions? :wink:

The second pattern, the "sundressy" one with the criss-cross halter attached, made me think of a saucy little black tank, complete with tie-ups up the bodice. (Think shoelaces going up the front of the chest and ending at the top where you tie a bow.) Again, this is to short, hence it hangs eternally in my closet. I don't wish to make a halter, but I wanted to add some pizzaz to my top. The straps are 1/2" wide, and I think I'll just make single bobbles the length of the straps. For the bottom of the top, I think I'll make an extended edging, possibly the Seaweed Fringe (from the book Stitch Library by Claire Crompton- I can't say enough about this book!)
So those are my ideas I got from those websites-thank you, thank you!! :woot:

salmonmac
10-22-2012, 05:14 AM
You're filled with ideas and I like you're thinking! The eyelet pattern is always nice, delicate and just lacey enough. I'll bet the girls have decided preferences on color. Good luck with your additions and modifications. Post some pictures if you'd like when you finish.

fatoldladyinpjs
10-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes, I'm doing this right now. I have a nice down jacket that I got from a thrift store for $10. Unfortunately, it didn't come with a hood. I measured around the collar and I'm making one now to attach to the coat.

susianna
10-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Salmonmac, I think there's been a wee bit of a misunderstanding-the garments are actually for me...I don't have any girls (or any kids, for that matter)...but thanks for those girly websites, anyway, since obviously I got lots of ideas from them! So it was a good "mistake"!
By the way, thanks for your vote on the eyelet stitch pattern I want to use; since I'm a newish knitter it's nice to know I made a good choice! You're great! :hug:

susianna
10-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Fatoldladyinpjs, what an awesome idea! I didn't even consider thrift store buys, I was just thinking of what I have already, but now when I go thrifting I'll check out potential clothes for revamping!:hug:

salmonmac
10-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Ah, I misread your post. Glad you could adapt the ideas anyway and good luck with it.

Antares
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I have an idea that you might consider if you're wanting to add knitting to the bottom of a shirt or dress.

First, though, here are two common options, which you've already seen: 1) Attach yarn all along the bottom of the garment and knit your design from the edge of the garment down, or 2) use the same cast on number as #1, but knit the insert without attaching it first; then attach the insert later. Both of these methods require you to have exact gauge and lots of precision so that you don't bunch up or stretch your garment along the edge where the insertion is.

My idea is to cast on for the total width of the insert and then knit it as long as you need it.

This would, of course, turn your pattern sideways, but with many patterns that's not an issue and/or it adds an interesting design element.

One benefit of doing this is you can block and measure the insert as you go, and you wouldn't have to really worry much about gauge (except for the width of the strip maybe, but that's not as crucial as the length).

susianna
10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Antares, what excellent advice, and I will take it! I think I'll make the insert first, then attach it, as you suggested. So all this helps with my thinking more expansively, which is good for any creation! And I am going to be meticulous as to gauge-as I said in my first post I'm a newish knitter, and gauge is intimidating territory for me, but I've researched and found a few formulas that I feel will help. Thank you so much for your advice:cheering: Really thanks to all of you who came here to help me and inspire!:heart: Y'all are good people.

amy
10-30-2012, 03:02 AM
Ooh, I hope we get to see pictures.

Woodi
10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
You can also embroider a buttonhole stitch (do you know it?) around the edge of whatever garment you want to add to - bottom, sides or neck, anywhere.....then you'll have little loops to knit into. Sometimes it's difficult to just sew a knitted edge onto fabric.

fatoldladyinpjs
10-30-2012, 10:31 AM
You know those Christmas towels that have a knit or crochet handle on them that you can button to the door of your frig? This is a similar concept. You can sew either an embroidery chain stitch around the edge of the garment or use a blanket stitch like my daughter did. You then pick up stitches through these sewn on ones and knit around.