PDA

View Full Version : FO: KDTV Dropped Stitch Scarf

ArtLady1981
11-25-2012, 05:05 PM
I watched Series 900 of KDTV (Knitting Daily TV) DVD's. Sooo much information, very useful, new, fresh!

Anyway, a simple great scarf was demonstrated on the show, Episode 904. The Tencel Dropped Stitch Scarf. Here is the free pattern. (http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/95259.aspx) If the pattern itself isn't on the page right away, just type Tencel Dropped Stitch Scarf in the Search box. It is a free downloadable pdf pattern, and I was able to put it in my Google Drive (Cloud) so that I have it across all of my devices and pc's. Google Drive, as most of you know, instantaneously syncs across every device, laptop and pc that you have the software (free) installed. It's really nice to be able to open any device...laptop, tablet or smartphone and have instant access to any pattern in there! Google Drive will even store WORD doc patterns too, so you can save your Knitty patterns in Google Drive as well. You're allowed 5GB free space, and patterns don't suck up that allotment.
(photos and videos do)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8218490954_94c9e2b2ce.jpg

The scarf is basically garter stitch (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8347/8218488656_3b9d31f648.jpg). The st st columns will be "unzipped" (dropped) after the final bind-off row. NOTE: very important....each knit stitch either side of the st st column are knit through the back loops on RS and WS. This twisted stitch "locks" the st st (to be dropped). The twisted stitches either side of the dropped stitch prevent the dropped stitch from mooshing into their space. So that's the hardest part of this scarf pattern: remembering to twist those knits on either side of the st st (that will be unzipped)

The bind-off is interesting. So pay close attention to that. It's written in the directions. Basically...you form a 3-st 'bridge' over top of the dropped stitch as you're binding off (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8217407911_4d9130d0ac_o.jpg). (click link...can you see it?) This allows the "unzipped" column to spread. Each dropped stitch will expand to the width of approx 3 st.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8349/8218490550_0be87c7c86.jpg

The scarf was 4" wide before 'unzipping'. Six inches wide after unzipping. I didn't block this scarf. I'm giving it away today to my BFF. I gave her the cardigan (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2029/2376699422_180bff4697_z.jpg) that used the majority of the yarn. I knit it for me, but it "grew", and became sloppy on me. Top-down construction and raglan sleeves are OFF MY KNIT LIST these days.

This scarf was knit with the 53g leftover, about 161 yds. The scarf is 6" x 45", and Kay will be delighted with it. She treasures the cardigan! I had only worn it 2 or 3 times to church, and she drooled over it every time.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8217407363_cc1252a89f.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8068/8218489872_6bbbdc8251.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8218489502_46f158c04f.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8338/8218489732_59ab00c42e.jpg

FRONT, before unzipping...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8217407583_2c4b155142.jpg

BACK, before unzipping....
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8201/8218489186_ea74fa1acf.jpg

Being constructed...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8486/8217407253_ccb40f3cb1.jpg

Use of stitch markers is paramount to successful knitting...because the twisted stitches (that flank each of the st st column) are very apparent from the RS, but not the WS.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8490/8217407123_71f9115763_o.jpg

Even with stitch markers, you have to pay attention...don't miss those twisted (thru back loop) stitches!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8347/8218488656_0bedffaef1_o.jpg

More photos on my Ravelry project page (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/dropped-stitch-scarf)....

This is my yarn....impulsively purchased in 2008 at a Yarn Festival (like a Stitches).
NOTE TO SELF: stay away from Yarn Festivals....a sweater's worth of this yarn was $$ridiculous$$
I haven't attended this Pacific NW version of Stitches since 2009....:thumbsup:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2175/2266268126_d235616266_z.jpg

GrumpyGramma
11-25-2012, 05:18 PM
That's so pretty! It's easy to see why your friend loves the sweater and the scarf to match...wonderful, I'm sure she'll be delighted.

salmonmac
11-25-2012, 06:20 PM
The yarn works very well in the dropped stitch pattern, really shows it off. Beautiful in a sweater too, I'll bet. Nice technique all around and interesting bind off.

Jan in CA
11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Oh that's pretty!!

You've raved about those DVDs. I'll have to think about getting them.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Oh that's pretty!!

You've raved about those DVDs. I'll have to think about getting them.

I'm telling' ya....the KDTV DVD series are THE BEST THING I've ever watched, Jan! For $39.95 you have $3995 worth of CLASSES! And you can watch them over and over again. I've learned sooooooo much. I've been tremendously inspired to do new things, improve others.

I will never EVER spend another dime for fleeting 'classes' at events like Stitches. Or even my LYS. Unless you just plain like 'to join' things like 'classes'...and I don't need the association at the rate of $20-$30 per hour....I save my education budget for the new KDTV Series. You REALLY get your money's worth.

I can see the value of basic classes, and other specialty classes, don't get me wrong. But I've been burned on some costly classes of little value. I've NEVER felt burned with the KDTV DVDs!

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll have to look into those DVDs. Are they just for really advanced knitters like you or could anyone benefit from them?

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I'll have to look into those DVDs. Are they just for really advanced knitters like you or could anyone benefit from them?

Glad you asked that question! I'd say none of the KDTV content is designed for the advanced knitter! Every segment on the DVD's is 'a show' with a little of everything. A part on yarn, then maybe a short segment on a particular technique, then a small segment by Kristin Omdahl about crochet, then a short segment about a project, etc.

I even find myself learning cool stuff in the Crochet Corner segment!

So that's it. KDTV is meant to educate and inspire every knitter! Even what I'd consider 'tricky stuff' like a new cast-on technique...Eunny Jang breaks it down into a process that you can follow. To learn the new cast-on's, I've been known to re-watch it ten times til I 'get it'!

The dropped stitch scarf was demonstrated on the show, plus that cool modified herringbone stitch! I was sooooooo inspired I had to try them right away!

I've learned some cool ways to fix an oops! In Series 900, Eunny Jang showed us how to fix a mis-crossed cable without frogging back to the mistake! Wow. One of the mis-crossed cables was down several inches in a real complicated cable, a Celtic cable. Eunny showed how you can undo the error! It involved cutting one strand in it! I'd heard about this technique before, but could not for the life of me understand it! But now I do! If I ever need it, I'll re-watch the segment and do-it-along-with-Eunny! cuz I'd definitely have to watch it again. But the main point is, I got it! And I got it well enough to feel confident about the fix. Eunny took the mystery out of it.

In Series 900 there was a cool segment about the use of steeks....different ways to seal a steek's raw edge. Mainly a thing Fair Isle knitters utilize, but I enjoyed learning the three ways you can do it! I could possibly use the techniques if I wanted to cut a knitted item to remodel it.

I've learned stuff that I didn't even know I didn't know. LOL

In the earlier KDTV Series 100-500 they used to include weaving lessons and spinning lessons! Wow. Oh, and needle felting lessons! Those are fiber arts that were a TOTAL MYSTERY to me. But after watching the demonstrations and lessons, I feel confident that I could weave or spin! Of course those fiber arts require equipment that I don't own. Looms and spinning wheels. Although there was a lesson on drop spindle spinning which was very easy and minimal expense.

I bought some colored fiber from Knit Picks along with a little needle felting gadget after I watched the needle felting segment! That was sooooooo cool! It's incredibly easy, and very artistic! You can needle felt teensy flowers and leaves right into knitted item! Or like onto your felted bag! I loved that segment! I had never even heard of needle felting!

There are sock lessons, too. BUT, I've yet to try a sock, everyone knows that! LOL

Techniques lessons are one of my favs. There are so many techniques that enhance regular knitting. I couldn't even YouTube it because I wouldn't know what I'm missing!

Anyway, keep your eye PEELED for the DVDs to go ON SALE right about NOW! Last year, KDTV/The Interweave Store was offering the DVD sets/series on sale....like instead of $39.95 each set (4 discs totaling 348 minutes, yes over 5 hours long!) they were 3 sets for $99. Something like that. Maybe even less.

You should check their website today! I bought my first five series, Series 100-500, from our Knitting Help Shop on sale for $34.95 each a few years ago, then I've been buying the new ones from the Interweave Store ever since. As soon as it's released, I grab it up!

Like I said, the KDTV DVD Series are my only knitting education investment these days. I've never been burned in spending the $39.95.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 03:14 PM
OMG!!! The KDTV DVDS are on sale for $20! I see ALL Series, 100 thru 900!!! The disc SETS, not just video downloads. I've never seen them so deeply discounted. That's half price! $180 for Series 100-900 is less than you'd pay for a full day class at Stitches, which is about $240! Half day classes can run $120! And they are a one-time shot! If you don't really GET IT in the six hours, or 3 hours, you are screwed. You got nothing but a great social gathering.

I prefer owning the DISC SETS. I can play them anywhere I go on vacation in my Sony DVD player, sometimes right here in my TV room when my hubby is monopolizing the TV! I knit along as I watch, and sometimes I have to 'study' what she's teaching!

http://www.interweavestore.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=KDTV%20DVDs

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm checking out the DVDs and I challenge you to knit a sock! No, maybe not, this way I've still done something you haven't. :teehee: Oh what the heck, will you accept the challenge?

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm checking out the DVDs and I challenge you to knit a sock! No, maybe not, this way I've still done something you haven't. :teehee: Oh what the heck, will you accept the challenge?

Oh what the heck, why not?:teehee: BUT, not til I've cleared my mind of two current projects....my NELL winter bulky coat, and my garnet red Hallett's Ledge cardigan.

Which won't take long....maybe after New Years!

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 03:37 PM
OK, I'm looking at the DVD listing. Where should I start? I'm not sure how much I have to spend right now, I might get 2 sets. Please advise.

I look forward to seeing your socks. Will you do 2 @ a time to avoid SSS, top down, toe up....I look forward to reading about your adventure...when the time comes keep us updated, please. Inquiring minds want to know...why haven't you done socks? :???:

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 03:56 PM
OK, I'm looking at the DVD listing. Where should I start? I'm not sure how much I have to spend right now, I might get 2 sets. Please advise.

I look forward to seeing your socks. Will you do 2 @ a time to avoid SSS, top down, toe up....I look forward to reading about your adventure...when the time comes keep us updated, please. Inquiring minds want to know...why haven't you done socks? :???:

I've never knitted socks mainly because they are futzy little things. Same goes for gloves.

I hate working with DPN's.

I don't wear socks.

But I totally admire all the beautiful socks I see displayed! I sometimes wear footies at my art shows when the homeowner has a No Shoes policy (very common). Pantyhose under my cropped slacks makes me too hot. If I could knit a pretty pair of knee socks that would STAY UP, that would be very nice, and useful.

I've seen the different methods...toe up, cuff down, two at a time, one at a time, dpns, magic loop, etc.

It's mind boggling. :wall:

No worries about SSS with me. I'm too goal-oriented and driven to the Finish Line to knit half a pair of socks! I do believe I'd prefer focusing on one sock at a time. And probably cuff down.

What is considered the standard?....toe up or cuff down?

Eunny Jang did a great lesson on knitting the gussets. It was easy enough, just futzy.

I'd suggest getting the KDTV series IN ORDER, that is, starting with Series 100. But you might also like to grab the current new one, Series 900.

I say IN ORDER cuz sometimes I don't see the earlier DVD sets/series for sale at all on their website! If you get one series, you'll want them all!

Jan in CA
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Unfortunately series 100 DVD is out of stock. :doh: I put the first two on my wishlist, but I'll look at the rest, too.

Toe up are my favorite because it's easy to try them on as you go to get length and circumference right. Turkish cast on, knit till you need to start heel and then knit to the top. I learned a new heel at the last class and adore it! Unfortunately I usually can't wear them...too thick for my fat feet.

I will also say that I take quite a few classes, but I will admit that it's mostly for the social benefits. There's only a few teachers that I've taken them from, but they are both excellent and patient if you're learning a new technique. Of course, this is at my LYS which I go to twice a week to knit with a group.

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately series 100 DVD is out of stock. I put the first two on my wishlist, but I'll look at the rest, too.

Yeah, I noticed that too but it's available for download. How does that work? Do you then burn your own DVD or what?

I like toe up socks because I don't want to Kitchener stitich and the reasons Jan listed. Also, if I run out of yarn I can just have shorter tops. 2@a time because I hate starting again on the same thing, same with sweater front L&R.
ArtLady, you could auction your socks to the highest bidder!

I used the Turkish cast on but it was a bit troublesome for me. I'll try it again. I figure I have to do it several times before I decide do I or do I not like it.

I've never been to a knitting class. I'm a very un-social person so I avoid crowds...anything more than 2 people. If I get the DVDs I think I'd get the benefits of a class w/o the social part. I know, I know, I'm weird...nay, bizarre.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the SOCKS tip about toe-up being the best. I will do that. :thumbsup:

Yeah, Jan...you're very fortunate to have great teachers at your LYS. My sad experiences stemmed from greedy LYS owners...who would chronically overbook a class (for the money in their own pocket), or allow knitters to sign up for a class they shouldn't be in. So the teacher (being kind) had to spend all her energy teaching the less experienced students how to do simple things they should have already been proficient in.

My Color-Work class was 6 hours all day...and cost $250 or so. A great teacher, very proficient Fair Isle knitter/designer...had to spend all her energy helping a handful of knitters to work with dpn's....how to get stitches onto the 4 needles...and other simple things like that. It was a real time suck. But it wasn't the teacher's fault. The LYS was at fault for overbooking the numbers...and by not pre-screening experience level more carefully. I felt robbed.

...so I basically taught myself at that class. I learned a few things about steeking...gaining a measure of confidence about cutting your knitting...

....but the other aspects of color knitting...intarsia, etc...I sorta already knew...

...so I spent $240 to learn what a steek is. :pout:

I do belong to the South Sound Knitters Guild. Our monthly meetup is held at a LYS that is closed on Sunday. We meet the 2nd Sunday of each month. It's a relaxing 2 hours. The ladies (except for one) are all very nice. I don't go every month due to scheduling conflicts. The dues are $15 per year. I've learned good things at the meetings: that's how I found Knitting Help.com! LOL!

First they told me about ABOUT.COM....then KNITTER'S REVIEW.COM...and from there I saw a video how-to referral to visit KNITTINGHELP.COM! So I liked Knitting Help forum much better than any other forums...so that's the one I stuck with. I don't participate in any other forums. It's too exhausting. I belong to Rav, of course, but I don't participate in a too many forums or groups over there.

I keep a low profile I think, gauging by my number of 'posts'. I do get a lot of folks who message me personally with questions...they find me by spotting my projects...and I always answer and try to be helpful. I've actually made two BFF'S that way. :happydance: One in Santa Cruz, Ca...another in Austin, Texas!

Jan in CA
11-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Wow..that bites. For our LYS the money for class goes directly to the teacher..we pay her. They expect you to buy your yarn at the LYS of course, but I don't know if they check. I know most do. I usually only have to pay about $60-$100 for a class. Never heard of one as much as you paid, but I suppose it's possible. I'll have to check.

Normally there is a pre-arranged number of students and if they have an extra one or two they ask the teacher. I think they also tell those signing up ahead of time what will be expected of them. We all kind of help each other, too.

As for being un-social, GG..I am shy, don't like being the center of attention, don't really like parties, etc. It took me a long time to get brave enough to even walk into an LYS. I'm very comfortable in there now. I've helped new knitters often and am very involved now. There's always a few annoying people in any group, but it's usually easy to avoid them. It's funny..we all sit in the same seats almost every week like an assigned seat. :lol:

Re: socks.. I don't knit two at a time, but I do cast on both socks at the same time or close to it. That way you knit a bit on one or the other. If you need to take your knitting with you somewhere you can choose the one that suits you.. like not taking the one with gusset increases or counting where it might be hard to concentrate.

For turkish cast on I was taught with these last socks (I have 6 cast on in various stages) we wrap 8, knit across the first needle, then using the tail and the working yarn knit around both needles. Then start your increases knitting the double stitches as one each time. Easy once you get the hang of it.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Re: socks.. I don't knit two at a time, but I do cast on both socks at the same time or close to it. That way you knit a bit on one or the other. If you need to take your knitting with you somewhere you can choose the one that suits you.. like not taking the one with gusset increases or counting where it might be hard to concentrate....

Great tip, Jan! That's what I'll do...two at a time...ON DIFFERENT NEEDLES! Little bit on Lefty...little bit on Righty! Back and forth!

Won't lose my mojo....if I ever find my sock mojo.... :shrug:

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
For turkish cast on I was taught with these last socks (I have 6 cast on in various stages) we wrap 8, knit across the first needle, then use the tail and knit around both needles. Then start your increases knitting the double stitches as one each time. Easy once you get the hang of it.

Is it OK if I copy this to my Gramma's Useful Stuff blog? I want to try it but I'm afraid that when I get around to it, I won't find it again. Another reason I do 2 @ a time socks and also why I really prefer circular needles, I can find both of them at the same time. My secret fantasy is that one day I will acquire organizational skills I can really use.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too but it's available for download. How does that work? Do you then burn your own DVD or what?

I think you can burn anything you like if it's a downloadable video. You buy it, you own it for your own personal use. The only snafu I would foresee is having a DVD write-able or re-write-able disc with enough space to hold the content. Might need several discs. The SERIES that you purchase from Interweave are burned onto 4 discs.

Like iTunes...music...I am able to burn the songs to a disc and listen in my car. Don't want to wear headphones (ipod) when I'm driving.

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I think you can burn anything you like if it's a downloadable video. You buy it, you own it for your own personal use.

I finally found on the site that the d/l is mp4 format. I think it should play on my computer, but I don't know for sure. I emailed them about it, told them I run Linux, think it would work, if not could I get a refund. I could save it to computer and on a usb stick. Watching it on the computer wouldn't be a problem for me as long as it works.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I finally found on the site that the d/l is mp4 format. I think it should play on my computer, but I don't know for sure. I emailed them about it, told them I run Linux, think it would work, if not could I get a refund. I could save it to computer and on a usb stick. Watching it on the computer wouldn't be a problem for me as long as it works.

The Interweave Customer Support is pretty darn good. One time I accidentally paid for two DVDs that were the same thing....not at separate times! AT THE SAME TIME! Paid for with my MC.

Bonehead, that's me. I realized it a few hours later, emailed Interweave Customer Support....someone messages me back the next day, saying not to worry. They removed the other.DVD from my order, cc charges reversed. Matter of fact....the double never even showed up on my cc statement. Just the one charge.

If their downloadable videos were specific to ONLY PLAY on a particular OS...and let's say not Linux or not Leopard (Apple)....there should be a disclaimer before you pay. Such as, "not viewable except on xxx or yyy OS."

OR, "you need Windows Media Player to views this video", etc.

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't remember exactly what it said, but the gist was they've used mp4 because it's the most universally usable format. I'm pretty sure it would be OK, I just need the "lifeline" of a response from them. I'm sure I'll hear back from them soon. They want to sell to me as much as I want to buy from them.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't remember exactly what it said, but the gist was they've used mp4 because it's the most universally usable format. I'm pretty sure it would be OK, I just need the "lifeline" of a response from them. I'm sure I'll hear back from them soon. They want to sell to me as much as I want to buy from them.

One added BONUS..... the price is only $17.50!!!! And if you can burn it to DVD disc, too, you are set, Sista!

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
One added BONUS..... the price is only $17.50!!!! And if you can burn it to DVD disc, too, you are set, Sista!

Yup. That's for sure. Hey, if I couldn't actually use it, I think I could give it as a gift even.

You talking about the series and Jan's response are what sold me on them. I hate buying something and only end up using one little bit of it...kind of like you and your spendy class. They should have refunded your $$ IMHO.

Jan in CA
11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Is it OK if I copy this to my Gramma's Useful Stuff blog? I want to try it but I'm afraid that when I get around to it, I won't find it again. Another reason I do 2 @ a time socks and also why I really prefer circular needles, I can find both of them at the same time. My secret fantasy is that one day I will acquire organizational skills I can really use.

Of course! I just edited it to make more sense when using the tail so make sure you get copy/paste the edited text.

I do magic loop and use a 32" cable for socks. I actually had to buy some new needles for this last class because I didn't have what I needed. That's how I ended up with the Hiya Hiya needles. LOVE THEM!

Jan in CA
11-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Okay, great idea to download and burn to disk. I don't like to sit at the computer to watch a long video. My chair isn't really comfortable anymore! My computer is old, but I suppose MP4 would work. I'll have to check.

GrumpyGramma
11-26-2012, 11:40 PM
I'll get around to the Hiya Hiyas at some point, since I was ordering from JoAnn Fabrics I decided to give Chiao Goo Red circular needles a try and ordered 40" in size 0.

Thanks, Jan! Maybe I'll try it when I'm at the hospital waiting with my sister for her son to come out of back surgery. Or not. I might just want something I don't have to think about.

GrumpyGramma
11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I just ordered the 100 series and with WEAVE15 promo code got 15% off, grand total $14.87. Now on to downloading.

ArtLady1981
11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
That's Great!!! :cheering:

Jan in CA
11-27-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm on my iPad, but will go in and do it later. :thumbsup:

dturner
11-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Hmmm. When I first looked at the pattern I didn't quite understand how the stitch worked. After looking at your photos, I now see that the dropped stitch at BO is "unzipped" all the way up the scarf. Very neat idea! The scarf is beautiful!

ArtLady1981
11-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Hmmm. When I first looked at the pattern I didn't quite understand how the stitch worked. After looking at your photos, I now see that the dropped stitch at BO is "unzipped" all the way up the scarf. Very neat idea! The scarf is beautiful!

Thanks! It was pretty easy. On that bind off row...you bind off 3....then let 'drop knit stitch' fall off your lefthand needle, then work the 3-stitch bridge over the gap....then continue along with 1) bind off, 2) drop off, 3) make bridge....and so on.....ending with the final few bind offs at the end of the row.

THEN you "unzip" the dropped stitches all the way down to the original cast-on end.

I'd like to knit another one using a real slippery yarn, like Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. It's so slippery it wobbles off the ball winder!!! Ya gotta wind the little hanks by hand. Grrrrrrr.

I think a slick yarn would be very cool looking. Can't think of a yarn except for that DB Pure Silk. I have some in my stash. Knit a scarf a few years ago. It's a saturated fuchsia.

dturner
11-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Very interesting stitch! I think that the yarn you used is beautiful, but I agree--a slick yarn would probably work well with this pattern.

Jan in CA
12-01-2012, 06:30 PM
I bought the first video download of KDTV! I was going to burn it, but if I calculated correctly I'd need about 5 CDs. So I need to get some DVDs. Again if my calculations are correct I only need one DVD.

Can't wait to see it!

ArtLady1981
12-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I bought the first video download of KDTV! I was going to burn it, but if I calculated correctly I'd need about 5 CDs. So I need to get some DVDs. Again if my calculations are correct I only need one DVD.

Can't wait to see it!

Can't you just watch your video download on your laptop? No need to burn the video download at all...unless you want to watch the show on your TV, or DVD player.

I don't think you can burn the KDTV video download onto CD's. You need DVD discs. CD's are for photos, music, and document backup.

Jan in CA
12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Can't you just watch your video download on your laptop? No need to burn the video download at all...unless you want to watch the show on your TV, or DVD player.

I could if I HAD a laptop. :lol: I have an old (7yrs) desktop with a rather uncomfortable chair at the moment. Terry isn't sure he wants to go to a laptop so we'll probably replace with a desktop, too. Gonna be awhile though. Too many expenses lately. Why does everything break at once??

Hmmm... I wonder if I can see what's on my computer from my TV w/o a DVD... I should copy it anyway. Always worried with a computer that old that it'll die.

GrumpyGramma
12-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I could if I HAD a laptop. :lol: I have an old (7yrs) desktop with a rather uncomfortable chair at the moment. Terry isn't sure he wants to go to a laptop so we'll probably replace with a desktop, too. Gonna be awhile though. Too many expenses lately. Why does everything break at once??

Hmmm... I wonder if I can see what's on my computer from my TV w/o a DVD... I should copy it anyway. Always worried with a computer that old that it'll die.

Yes! Burn a copy! My old computer died and I haven't been able to boot it again to recover files. Fortunately I didn't really lose much. I got lucky and my DD & SIL gave me an old laptop they had. Otherwise, I'd have no computer at all. Fingers crossed here that you can get a laptop. Some of them are fairly inexpensive now. Relatively speaking anyhow. I googled it and it seems that some DVD players will play mp4 files and others won't. I'm pretty sure the one I have, as old as it is (another hand-me-down) wouldn't. For me it's a moot point since I don't currently have a TV.

Jan in CA
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I have a new TV and a blue ray player so as long as I can burn them to DVD I'll be fine. I plan on getting a portable hard drive to back up he old computer, but haven't yet with Christmas and all. DH prefers a desktop so we will probably get one of those. I have an iPad that I use like a laptop, but of course it doesn't play DVD/CDs.

GrumpyGramma
12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I finally got my download done. Something kept messing up and I didn't and still don't know what the problem was but now I can finally watch the videos. I'm just a wee bit excited! :woohoo: And such a deal I got!

ArtLady1981
12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I finally got my download done. Something kept messing up and I didn't and still don't know what the problem was but now I can finally watch the videos. I'm just a wee bit excited! :woohoo: And such a deal I got!

Yay! I'll watch Season 1 all over....and we can talk about our favorite parts! When can you start? :-)

Jan in CA
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
I wanna watch mine, too!!

GrumpyGramma
12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Yay! I'll watch Season 1 all over....and we can talk about our favorite parts! When can you start? :-)

I think I need to exercise a bit of discipline here. I know full well that once I start it will be tea and Knitting Daily until I've watched them all and not just watching, I'll have to try out things I see. I was gone from home for a week, took today to recover because I was exhausted, tomorrow I better get some housework done before I kick myself out. Maybe Thursday. I think Jan got the same ones, we can have a pajama party! Would we start a new link in The Lounge? Anyone else who has them could join in.

I hope they go on sale again. I'll wait till next year if I have to to get more. There is probably enough in this one set to keep me challenged and occupied for most of a year. I'm sure they're worth full price, I just can't afford it.

GrumpyGramma
12-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I wanna watch mine, too!!

We'll have to have a pajama party!

ArtLady1981
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
One good thing about the DVD set: they're very organized. Four DVD's, each divided up into 3 or 4 shows.

So you can start with Episode 1 (101) called Luxe and Luscious....then move on to Episode 102 called The Sweater, then Episode 103 called Amazing Lace. That's the last on Disc 1.

Anyhoo, it's not going to be a time suck unless you want it to, if you have more time, spend more time.

Yeah, I sometimes stop an Episode, back track it again and again, so I can try a new technique.

NOTE: keep a list of your favorite things and what Episode they're in. Easier to locate it again.

Something I really really really liked about these earlier Seasons....they included lots of Weaving segments, and Spinning segments..two things I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about.

And although I'm not a crocheter, I enjoyed the short segments about crochet. Knitters should have a basic knowledge of crochet, especially edgings. I got some good ones there.

ArtLady1981
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm watching Episode 101 now.....will prolly watch 102 & 103 tonight as well.

BTW...Series 100 are 2008 shows....so NOT ANCIENT, designs and yarns are still relevant. Of course, techniques such as cast-on, cables, how-to-fix mistakes, etc. are timeless and always useful.

GrumpyGramma
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
NOTE: keep a list of your favorite things and what Episode they're in. Easier to locate it again.

Great idea! Thanks for mentioning it, it's the kind of thing I think of after I wish I'd done it.

Jan in CA
12-05-2012, 02:49 AM
Yeah good idea keeping track of things you like. :thumbsup:

I got the DVDs today so I can copy them and watch them from the comfort of my family room. I'll do that tomorrow.

GG, We have a new Panasonic Blue Ray/DVD player so MP4 should be fine I hope. Our TV died this summer (among other things :zombie: ) and we also had an ancient DVD player so we just replaced them.

GrumpyGramma
12-05-2012, 03:05 AM
I was looking at TVs online today. I might get one. The old one I had died and now I just look at stuff on the computer. It would be nice to be able to use the DVDs, which would work on the laptop but they aren't necessary. The MP4s play fine on here. My DVD burner is in the dead computer. I'm thinking of ways to make it work with the laptop but it might not save any money over just getting one to plug in via USB. New TVs have USB ports. Maybe I don't even need a DVD burner anymore. All this makes my head spin so I think I'll just use the laptop. :zombie:

Jan in CA
12-05-2012, 03:44 AM
My TV has a USB port? I'll have to look. Why would I need one? It's a fairly smart TV we can go to FB, Amazon Prime movies/show etc.

GrumpyGramma
12-05-2012, 04:02 AM
I don't know if your TV has a USB port. You can look and find out. The ones I've looked at do. They connect to the computer. I wonder if they would play MP4s from a thumb drive. :zombie:

Jan in CA
12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Oh my goodness! Both of our TVs have a USB port! My husband did all the wiring and I never noticed! :thumbsup: Thank you so much for telling me about it. :hug:

Since I don't have a laptop I'm not sure how I'll use this yet, but it's good to know. I'll have to look into getting a better thumb drive since mine doesn't hold a lot.

GrumpyGramma
12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Oh my goodness! Both of our TVs have a USB port! My husband did all the wiring and I never noticed! :thumbsup: Thank you so much for telling me about it. :hug:

Since I don't have a laptop I'm not sure how I'll use this yet, but it's good to know. I'll have to look into getting a better thumb drive since mine doesn't hold a lot.

Cool. :cool: I've been trying to figure out what all the inputs and outputs on the new TVs mean for me when I get one. When you figure out what the USB port is good for, you can let me know. Last night I solved 2 computer problems, one for my sister and one for myself. My son helped. I was on the phone with my sister trying to figure out how to get her online after deleting an ad blocker/proxy program, I knew what the problem was but haven't looked at IE in at least 12 yrs. except to read email at the library and on her computer so I didn't know how to get to the setting she needed to change. I talked to my son on Yahoo chat and he helped me figure out the answer. Then I needed a GUI interface for my computer to work with software sources, found help for that online too. That problem came about because I messed up in downloading my KD videos and thought I needed to fix a problem in my media player and created a new problem trying to fix a problem that wasn't there. I guess what I'm trying to say is none of us can handle all this technology by ourselves and I'm glad my confusion helped you out. I'd be willing to forgo a lot of new tech stuff but I wouldn't want to give up the help I get with knitting. Knitting is much easier to figure out than computers! :knitting: Knitting Help rocks! and makes it worth the effort.

Jan in CA
12-05-2012, 05:23 PM
YIKES! :zombie: I used to know HTML (self taught) and hand coded a few websites at the time. Now technology has passed me by! I have no shortage of it around here with my iPad, iPhone, Kindle, computer, etc. But I mostly just play with it not fix it. :teehee: I'm glad you got the computer fixed!

Oh and I also don't use IE. It's so user UNfriendly. I like my Firefox.

GrumpyGramma
12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
This is so OT, will I get banned? :wink:

I use FF and I watch hulu on Google Chrome but mostly use Opera, I find it and I get along pretty well but some things work better in FF for whatever reason. Once upon a time I would have been willing to try to find out why and can I fix it. Not anymore. Some days I wish I'd had my SIL leave Windows on here so I would have a dual boot...but he replaced this laptop with a Mac because he got tired of my DD having so many problems with it. I can crash this system but I have to really try hard...yes, I have done it on purpose, just on account of because. There are Windows games I would play if I could, but I waste enough time with this monster already.

Jan in CA
12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
:lol: This topic went AWOL a long time ago and the OP (artlady) joined in so I think it's okay.. I suppose we should start a new thread for KDTV in the lounge. Go for it!

I have had Dells for years with no problems, but I know some people complain. Then again there's a lemon or two in any bunch. One of my DD has a Mac and loves it. I'm too used to windows at this point and my DH couldn't handle it. He can use google and email and I'm always helping him as it is. :lol:

Christinechrstms1
12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
it looks great!

MerigoldinWA
12-14-2012, 03:36 PM
What a pretty scarf! From your description it sounds like an interesting project to make as well. :heart:

ArtLady1981
12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
What a pretty scarf! From your description it sounds like an interesting project to make as well. :heart:

You're right, Judy....it was very interesting. I'd like to try it with a more suitable yarn. Merino-silk blend was a little clingy onto its neighbors. It made the 'unzipping' process very tedious. I'd like to use (maybe) pure silk. It's real slippery. I have some fuchsia Debbie Bliss Pure Silk in my stash. But the color isn't my vision for the pattern stitch. I'd like to use a non-clingy, slinky, worsted, slightly variegated yarn....like a handpaint, such as Madeleine Tosh, but not cuz her yarns aren't slippery or slinky.

I'll just have to keep my eyes open. The yarn sales are rolling hot & heavy right now, although I'm trying NOT TO LOOK at yarn websites, or visit LYS's.
:wink:
I've got plenty of yarn to occupy my hands and mind...maybe I need to dig deeper into my own stash.