PDA

View Full Version : Off topic thread - Jan said move here!

GrumpyGramma
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
This is the last post from Jan from this thread http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111103

This topic when AWOL a long time ago and the OP (artlady) joined in so I think it's okay.. I suppose we should start a new thread for KDTV in the lounge. Go for it!

I have had Dells for years with no problems, but I know some people complain. Then again there's a lemon or two in any bunch. One of my DD has a Mac and loves it. I'm too used to windows at this point and my DH couldn't handle it. He can use google and email and I'm always helping him as it is.

So here we are!

Did I tell you I have a Dell? I might have, I don't remember, but I do have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and I've had not a problem with it. Of course, Windows on this is ancient history now. For the videos I think I'll plug in the other monitor, this is LCD and it's LED and bigger and would provide for greater viewing pleasure. I might even figure out how to have the 2 screens have different displays so I can have my video on the big one and whatever else I want on this screen.

I want to start my videos tomorrow, who else is getting in on the fun? I have season 1 of the Knitting Daily videos, I plan to start at the beginning.

Jan in CA
12-06-2012, 01:33 AM
I don't think I can copy the download to DVD! :???: One of my burners isn't working properly so I have to use the other one. The other one doesn't seem to want to copy at least from Real Player. I'm not sure how to put a video on my computer. Geez... I don't do this stuff anymore and I'm dense as a rock.

Also... no I didn't know you had a Dell or I forgot. Mine is a desktop. Dell XPS 420. Oooooold!:lol: I hope I can figure out the copying thing so I can start watching them in a comfortable place.

GrumpyGramma
12-06-2012, 02:10 AM
I don't think Real Player should be involved in burning a DVD from the d/l. I think you would go into your DVD burning software and just copy the files as you downloaded them to the DVD.

ETA OK, I did a google and Real Player isn't what I thought it was, so never mind. I thought it was just a player and not for burning DVDs. My bad. Many apologies.

Jan in CA
12-06-2012, 02:19 AM
I knew it was for videos, but I didn't know you could burn from it either so don't worry about it! It popped up when I clicked on the video from my desktop.

You know what, I think I DO have DVD burning software! Yes, it's been that long since I've used it! I'll give that a try.

See you did help! :hug:

GrumpyGramma
12-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Any time I have to do something I have to go google and google and google some more. I remember burning DVDs when I d/l my OS, other than that I'd have had no idea. Hope you get them burned. I want us to be able to watch *together*...I promise not to hog the popcorn. :wink:

Jan in CA
12-06-2012, 03:11 AM
I do have software! I'll have to do it tomorrow now, but I want to watch with you, too! Did you see the thread Dollyce started in General? It's about the videos. Lol either place works.

GrumpyGramma
12-06-2012, 02:26 PM
That rings a bell but I can't find it now. I know ArtLady has one.

Jan in CA
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Ugh. Still working on this.. I tried using the software and it's a bigger file than the DVDs of course, but that seemed to hold it up. If all else fails I can get my daughter's boyfriend to see if he can do it. They'll be over Sunday.

I don't want to hold you up though so go ahead and watch.

GrumpyGramma
12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I hope you don't have to wait till Sunday, but that will work...calling in reenforcements is almost always a good idea. This is so frustrating for you. I'm sorry it got so danged complicated.

Jan in CA
12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I've downloaded a couple free burners and they both put a watermark on the video unless you buy it. How is that free?!! Sheesh!

GrumpyGramma
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Watermark on a video? What's that? I have a number of things that I must take care of some of them more urgent than others. I'll wait for you to start watching. The files aren't going anywhere and if they do I should be able to d/l them again. I'm thinking I'll buy the mittens video here, it looks like it should have some stuff I can use in it and it will help KH so it sounds like win-win. This morning I looked at michaels.com and couldn't figure out how to shop online. They sure didn't make it easy to get my money.

GrumpyGramma
12-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Did you get your DVDs burned?

Jan in CA
12-11-2012, 02:09 AM
No, he didn't have time, but I will watch some on the computer. I'll just bring a more comfy chair over. When do you want to start?

GrumpyGramma
12-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Tomorrow? I don't want you to be miserable. I can wait.

Jan in CA
12-11-2012, 03:00 AM
Tomorrow is good. I have another chair that I think will work. :thumbsup: I'm busy for a few hours in the evening, but daytime is good. Do you work outside the home? I'm retired so normally I'm around most of the time.

GrumpyGramma
12-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Afternoon would be best for me, or late morning.

offgridgirl
12-13-2012, 12:12 AM
I use DVDFab for DVD burning. Yes I pay for it and YES it is worth it!

It works great for copying DVD's and does Blue ray as well.

We used to do local computer repair, and all we got were Dells' and Sonys' Not just one....more like 12-15 of them...and this is a small community.

I use an Acer used that I got for $200 and it works great(knock on wood!) I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Jan in CA
12-13-2012, 12:19 AM
I think the problem is one of my trays won't open. The button is shoved in and DH can't get to it. It's a 7 yr old computer, but I'll see if he'll open it again so I can look.

GrumpyGramma
12-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Jan, get a bigger hammer. :wink: When I was at my sister's while her son was in the hospital for surgery, she got a DVD stuck in the DVD player and we ended up taking to cover off to retrieve the danged disk. No hammer needed, just a screwdriver.

Back in the olden days when virtually speaking computers were barely past prehistoric, Campaqs were the ones we were always sending for someone to fix in the state offices I worked in. So far my Dell is doing great and since I didn't have to buy it, it was a real bargain!

Jan in CA
12-13-2012, 01:18 AM
:roflhard: I've looked at the front where it is and don't see a place to use a screw driver. I don't want to break it since I can't afford a new one right now. :doh: The hammer sounds good about now though! :teehee:

GrumpyGramma
12-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Yeah, I was afraid the hammer might sound good 'bout now. When I used the screwdriver on the DVD player, it wasn't necessarily how I wanted to use it and the hammer sound really good 'bout then! Seven years old you said? That's not as old as mine that died in September, but it is old enough that it's probably got Alzheimer's and can't remember how to slide the cupholder out. My DS grits his teeth when I refer to that tray as a cup holder.

I'm not good around things like computers, I know just enough to be dangerous.

Jan in CA
12-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Cup holder! :lol: