PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon socks

dancejunky
01-02-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm about to try my hand at a sock pattern called Hexagons (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hexagons), from the book Think Outside the Sox. I have to dye up some yarn, so I'll probably be starting on the weekend. Would anyone like to join me? :poke:

P.S. Yes, my argyle socks are having a time out.

dancejunky
01-04-2013, 12:27 AM
First batch of yarn for this project, hot out of the dye bath. I'm still deciding on other colors.

http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/dancejunky/139027552/Jan_3__2013_9.48.21_PM_medium2.jpg

dancejunky
01-04-2013, 03:23 AM
Batch #2

http://images4-b.ravelrycache.com/uploads/dancejunky/139048115/Jan_4__2013_12_medium

fatoldladyinpjs
01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm still struggling with heel turns. This pattern looks like it's a bit beyond me. But I would be interested to hear how you're progressing with this. Please keep us posted.

GrumpyGramma
01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Your colors are lovely. If I had the book I'd just about jump off the deep end and join you. Is the pattern available for sale by itself, me wonders and heads for googleville.

dancejunky
01-11-2013, 04:02 AM
I've finished the cuff and heel of the first sock. The way this sock is designed—just hexagons that are fitted together—there isn't really any heel turning involved. The construction is quite different from a typical sock. If you like this sock, I say go for it. What's the worst that could happen? I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

dancejunky
01-11-2013, 04:04 AM
Thanks. I don't think the pattern is available without the book, BUT the book came out in 2010, so your local library might have a copy. Or you might get it through interlibrary loan.

GrumpyGramma
01-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm really curious about how the hexagons are worked.

dancejunky
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
The hexagons are knit in the round, starting from the outside and decreasing toward the center. After the first hex, each new one is starting by casting on + picking up sts of one or more sides of previous hexes. You can make the hexes using whatever method you like best for knitting in the round. I like magic loop, so I simply divided my sts for each hex into two sections. I also dispensed with the markers and wrote out the instructions (by stitch count) for each round. For me stitch markers on something so small just get in my way and slow me down.

dancejunky
01-11-2013, 07:46 PM
This is where I am on the first sock:

http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/dancejunky/140690366/sock1__cuff_and_heel_medium

I'm going to make a paper model of the hexagon layout to help me figure out which edges attach to which. You have to know ahead of time which stitches to pick up.

This pattern make seem daunting, but the hexagons themselves are very easy to knit.

GrumpyGramma
01-11-2013, 07:55 PM
That looks really good. I can see the st markers could be a problem in and of themselves in a case like this. Hexagon Sox or How to Knit Your Very Own Puzz 3D. LOL The paper model is a good idea. If I ever make some, I'll need to remember that.

dancejunky
01-13-2013, 05:08 AM
I'm happy to report that the paper model was what I needed to move forward. I did have to rip out one hexagon, but that was a small price to pay. I'll post another pic when I get about halfway down the foot. You ladies really should try this!

fatoldladyinpjs
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Okay, I get the construction. You knit these from the outside in and end up with a hole in the center. The hexagons are then joined somehow. The one thing that makes me leery is: Will the holes in the center of the hexagons be uncomfortable to walk on?

dancejunky
01-14-2013, 04:24 AM
I just tried the sock on again and walked around on the (uncarpeted) kitchen floor, so I could answer your question. I can't feel the holes at all, and I can tell you I'm very sensitive to seams in socks. Although granted my toes are likely more sensitive than my heels. I think if you choose a soft squishy wool, you won't feel the holes. BUT what you could do as a test is knit one hexagon, put it on the floor, and stand on it.

dancejunky
01-14-2013, 04:58 AM
So far so good:

http://images4-b.ravelrycache.com/uploads/dancejunky/141257252/sock1__foot1_medium

I really like the way these are coming out. :woot: As you can see, the centers aren't really holes if you cinch 'em up nice and tight.

dancejunky
01-14-2013, 05:03 AM
I forgot to respond to your comment about how the hexagons are joined. Contrary to what I thought before I started, the hexagons aren't knit separately then joined. As you cast on for a hexagon, you pick up stitches along the edge of the hexagon(s) you're joining it to. So by the time you join the round to start knitting in the round, your new hexagon is already joined to the rest of the sock. There is no seaming needed.

Antares
01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Very interesting construction! These socks are psychadelically cute!

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a sock knitter, though. I made one pair to see if I caught the sock knitting bug! I didn't find the process enjoyable enough to do it again, so I won't (unless someone holds a gun to my head), and I'm not all that keen about spending hours knitting something that goes on my feet!

dancejunky
01-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Nope, sock knitting isn't everyone's cup of tea. Happily, we all get to choose the projects we like. What are your favorite things to knit?

dancejunky
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Guess what! The first sock is done. :happydance:

http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/dancejunky/141704170/sock1__finished1_medium

The blue and purple in the photo are accurate, but the yellow/orange is way off. IRL it's a green/yellow.

GrumpyGramma
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
I love it! Bet I'd love it even more if the colors were true. I think those would make the funnest slippers.

Jan in CA
01-16-2013, 01:36 PM
:thumbsup:

Antares
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I like to make pretty much everything else other than socks. But to each their own, as you say, and I can certainly appreciate socks and sock makers! Your sock turned out gorgeous, by the way!

Looking forward to seeing the next one!

dancejunky
01-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Yep, it is cozy like a slipper. I like to wear socks with Birkenstocks; just think how groovy these are going to look!

GrumpyGramma
01-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Yep, it is cozy like a slipper. I like to wear socks with Birkenstocks; just think how groovy these are going to look!

Far out! Tubular! I can really dig those hexagon socks. LOL

I started some worsted weight acrylic sock toes today to make slippers for a friend. I just made her some slippers from a pattern that I altered and I'm not happy with how they turned out so I'm making the sock toes then I'll work flat to make the rest. I think I'll still be able to try the Sweet Tomato Heel with them and end up seamless. She really appreciated the first pair when she got them today, I think she'll really be happy with the make-it-up-as-I-go-along version.

GrumpyGramma
01-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm just about to try the Sweet Tomato Heel on some thick slippers I'm making as modified socks and got to thinking of your hexagon socks. Hope your progress is as expected. What I've seen so far I absolutely love.

dancejunky
01-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Thanks. I finished the first sock but haven't started on the second yet, because I have a work project to finish first. I think you're going to love the Sweet Tomato Heel. It's easy and produces a very natural-shaped heel, very smooth instead of the angular look of some other heels.

GrumpyGramma
01-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the update.
I'm doing the padded version of the STH. I'm also not working in the round anymore. It will be fine. I've done a wedge and realized there is a hole, I'm not sure why, but I'm going back and redoing it. I really think this might be my preferred heel method. I think I owe Cat a big "Thanks, Ma!" LOL Thank you, Carol for being so encouraging. :muah:

dancejunky
01-21-2013, 05:00 AM
Awww, you're very welcome.

dancejunky
02-04-2013, 09:21 PM
I just now finished the Hexagon socks. The pic is a bit hazy, but you'll get the idea. I absolutely :heart: them! My buddies have been waiting to see 'em all done, so it'll be fun wearing them for the first time. Too bad it isn't sandals weather.

http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/dancejunky/145745021/finished_medium2.jpg

Antares
02-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Those are something else--in a good way, I mean! Good job on these, but beware! All your friends are going to be begging you to make a pair for them!

:yay:

GrumpyGramma
02-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Groovy! I have to get that pattern. Those socks are just too cool. Enjoy!

Sandals and socks, I thought that was just a western Washington thing. LOL

Lizars1735
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Wow. Those are great! The perfect Birkenstock socks.

dancejunky
02-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Seattle, Ithaca, same difference. LOL.

dancejunky
02-05-2013, 03:49 PM
My thoughts exactly. My Arizona Birkies and those socks are the perfect match.

dancejunky
02-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks! I have a simple answer to people who want me to knit for them: "You would have to have come out of my womb or be sleeping with me." That's not exactly true, because I have knit for my friends, but it gets the idea across that they shouldn't hold their breath. Hm, I hope no one thinks I've been sleeping with my friends Scott and Dana.

GrumpyGramma
02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
:roflhard: Thanks! I have a simple answer to people who want me to knit for them: "You would have to have come out of my womb or be sleeping with me." That's not exactly true, because I have knit for my friends, but it gets the idea across that they shouldn't hold their breath. Hm, I hope no one thinks I've been sleeping with my friends Scott and Dana.