PDA

View Full Version : what happened to knittingpatterncentral.com?

vaknitter
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Admitttedly I haven't used the site for some time now as it turns out being a SAHM of 2 boys really eats up my knitting time...but what happened to knittingpatterncentral.com? I loved finding patterns on that site and it appears to be gone. The new site(s) want name/address etc for access : (

GrumpyGramma
01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Check this thread. New knitting and crochet websites (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111415) It seems to be up and running.

suzeeq
01-05-2013, 11:32 PM
It got bought by someone else, and it could be Berocco as their new site looks very similar.

fatoldladyinpjs
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM
The owner sold it. Megan did start up another one. It is:

www.knittingatplay.com

and

www.crochetatplay.com

ArtLady1981
01-07-2013, 05:49 PM
You took the words right outa my mouth! :think: (WHAT HAPPENED TO KNITTINGPATTERNCENTRAL.COM????)

Anyway, I'm very relieved to know that someone has picked up the pieces, and KnittingatPlay.com is the continuation of a very good thing. phew

We must applaud folks who provide these useful sites! I doubt they're financially compensated equal to the work and time they've invested. The Ravelry owners are the only individuals I know of who have become millionaires for their work and creativity.

Jan in CA
01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Since I usually just use Ravelry I didn't even know this! Glad it's being continued as a new site. :thumbsup:

mojo11
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I must've discovered knittingpatterncentral.com after it changed hands or something 'cos it looks the same to me as I remember it. Even has the story of how it came to be on the front page. :shrug:

suzeeq
01-09-2013, 05:00 PM
What front page? You mean the forum name Pattern Central? That's just a coincidence.

GrumpyGramma
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I must've discovered knittingpatterncentral.com after it changed hands or something 'cos it looks the same to me as I remember it. Even has the story of how it came to be on the front page. :shrug:

I found Crochet Pattern Cental a long time ago, maybe 10 yrs. or more ago, before I considered knitting something I could ever do. The change must have occurred before you found them.

mojo11
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
What front page? You mean the forum name Pattern Central? That's just a coincidence.

No, I'm talking about the "Home" page of http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

There's a story there about how the site came to be...

mojo11
01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I found Crochet Pattern Cental a long time ago, maybe 10 yrs. or more ago, before I considered knitting something I could ever do. The change must have occurred before you found them.

Well according to myth and lore (and the Home Page of http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/) the story goes:

Once upon a time in a land far, far away, there lived a cro--well, we won't say. It's been said that the particular word doesn't go over well with some knitters. Let's just say there lived a crafter without two pointy sticks. Her favorite craft used one stick-like object instead of two in order to achieve crafty pieces. And she started a site. A link directory. People liked it. It got big. Really big. Big enough to be mentioned in cool magazines.

Time passed. The crafters who didn't "do" the craft with a hook at the end of the stick (and therefore couldn't use the existing link directory) piped up, "Hey, we want a site of our own!" And so the cro--ooops--the crafter without two sticks...who does, for the record book, know one cast on, the knit stitch, and one cast off (let's be completely fair to her) said: "Why not? Happy to oblige. Meet Knitting Pattern Central." People liked it. It got big. (5,000 unique visitors a day big) Maybe someday it will be mentioned in cool magazines too. (Meanwhile, everyone is most likely whispering that the owner of KPC has got to be taught how to knit!)

That's been there since when I first ran across the site, but that's only been... less than a year ago. So it must've been in its current configuration before I found it.

GrumpyGramma
01-09-2013, 06:30 PM
All I know is that it's been said that the original owner sold the site but has now started http://www.knittingatplay.com/ and it looks more like what I knew for pattern central. Apparently the cro*** didn't like the way the new owners were handling the old site. I've not used the new site.

suzeeq
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
They just recently changed the site, though the story may well have been there. It was the old colors and layout maybe 3 months ago.

mojo11
01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
All I know is that it's been said that the original owner sold the site but has now started http://www.knittingatplay.com/ and it looks more like what I knew for pattern central. Apparently the cro*** didn't like the way the new owners were handling the old site. I've not used the new site.

Looks like the new site must be owned by Lion Brand Yarn, 'cos about half the links I've checked there take you to the Lion Brand login page. Which is irksome if you don't have an account with them. Yeah, I know I could set one up in minutes and it's FREE! But I already get enough "promotional" email, thanks very much.

I've never succumbed to the Facebook siren either.

Jan in CA
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Looks like the new site must be owned by Lion Brand Yarn, 'cos about half the links I've checked there take you to the Lion Brand login page. Which is irksome if you don't have an account with them. Yeah, I know I could set one up in minutes and it's FREE! But I already get enough "promotional" email, thanks very much.

I've never succumbed to the Facebook siren either.

Yeah, I don't really like the LB site. I find it annoying that I have to sign up on many pattern sites first. I know why they do it I guess, but it's annoying.

I do have FB, but a lot of my pages are yarn or knitting related. A few animals and my kids. I also have many HS 'friends' and other random pages, but most of them are hidden from my newsfeed. I just go directly to their pages if I want to see what they are up to. I've gotten some great yarn deals and info on FB. I don't post much and keep limited info on there.

mojo11
01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I don't really like the LB site. I find it annoying that I have to sign up on many pattern sites first. I know why they do it I guess, but it's annoying.

I do have FB, but a lot of my pages are yarn or knitting related. A few animals and my kids. I also have many HS 'friends' and other random pages, but most of them are hidden from my newsfeed. I just go directly to their pages if I want to see what they are up to. I've gotten some great yarn deals and info on FB. I don't post much and keep limited info on there.

I know some people just think FB's the greatest thing because they got back in touch with people they hadn't seen since high school and blah blah blah... I figure if I haven't spoken to you in the last 35 years, THERE'S A REASON! And there is the wisdom that, "If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product." Which isn't always strictly true, but certainly is in FB's case.

To date I haven't even created an account on Ravelry, though I suppose I will eventually have to just for the street cred in the knitting universe.

Antares
01-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure if knittingpatterncentral.com was bought by LB or not because even before the buy-out, half the patterns linked to LB.

As for the LB sign up, I always input bogus information--a new user every time, so annoying, yes, but entertaining, too.

suzeeq
01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Lion puts out a lot of patterns, there's a lot that were knitty patterns and other sites. Depends what category you're looking in.

Jan in CA
01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
To date I haven't even created an account on Ravelry, though I suppose I will eventually have to just for the street cred in the knitting universe.

I agree about FB. There are things about it that are annoying and just not right. As for HS friends I'm sure there are a lot of people that feel that way. In my own case I was able to connect with people that i actually wondered about. Our 40th reunion was organized there. It has it's value for some people.

Ravelry is a whole different thing. Yes, there are lots of groups, but you don't have to be involved. I've found them useful on occasion for a designer info, special deals found nowhere else, or specific likes or needs. Like there's actually a group for Catholic Nuns! How cool! No, I'm not a nun or catholic, but think its neat.

What I use it for 99% of the time...to look up patterns for myself and to answer KH questions, to look up yarns and see what others say about it (whether its soft, splitty, pills like crazy, is finer than stated, etc.) and what others knitted with it and how it looks knitted up.

insanenewknitter
01-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Ravelry is a whole different thing. Yes, there are lots of groups, but you don't have to be involved. I've found them useful on occasion for a designer info, special deals found nowhere else, or specific likes or needs. Like there's actually a group for Catholic Nuns! How cool! No, I'm not a nun or catholic, but think its neat.

Thanks, Jan, you've opened my eyes!! I know lots of Catholic nuns (being a Catholic), maybe I ought to join they're group, I might know some of them! :wink:

Personal opinion, I think that FB sucks. When used in moderation, it's tolerable, but there are some people on there who act as though there is nothing else to life but it. Who really cares what they had for breakfast? They may as well put "wants attention" as their status.

I am slightly prejudiced because I've know a ton of people who complain on FB about how messy their house is, while instead they should just clean it!

suzeeq
01-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I've had to hide FB posts from an internet friend who posts every single thing she's doing (she's in her 40s, not a teenager), and my new sweeting who posts lots of other stuff he finds online or at FB. When I want to see what he's looking at, I go to his page. I only joined because my DIL's mother is on it; she takes care of our mutual GD and posts what she's up to or pictures of her.

ArtLady1981
01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
I had FB. I dumped FB.

Reason? Toooo much information! My people have no discretion. This momma was reading (and seeing) stuff that curled her hair. I don't need to hear about all my kids personal stuff, if you (ahem) follow me....or their fights.

My people used FB for good, and bad. Besides TMI, the bad included using FB as a boxing ring. A place to take a stab at a relative, then the dog fight. The ultimate punishment? Un-Friending.

Oh yes, I've been UN-friended by one of my own sons (very hurtful), and I have a cousin who is hot and cold with me on FB, but she won't call me to talk! I wish she'd never 'found' me on FB.

After several years, I quietly tiptoed back to FB, created another account. I use it mainly to follow businesses, and a few TV favorites, and Chris Rene's career. I check into my FB about twice a month. Period.

I have very few FB "friends" and like it that way.

I don't fault anyone for participating in FB, whether low-key or full-throttle. But for me, I think it's a huge time suck. And not good for much of anything.

I'd rather invest my online energy into KH and Ravelry. Both of these sites are actually good for something constructive, and for learning, and resources. Yes, there are social aspects, too!

And lest we forget....you can't knit when you're online cuz you can't knit one-handed even if you can SWYPE on your smartphone one-handed!

Jan in CA
01-16-2013, 11:33 PM
I've got my girls as friends, but they don't post often. Of the three one works for the federal government (NSF) and another will soon have her teaching credentials. They are very aware of the dangers of social sites. I just checked what's on my newsfeed today...NatGeo, Time Magazine, National Zoo, a couple book authors, free kindle book site, a funny actor, a cat site, my vet, a couple knitting sites... I have several friends that will show up if they post, but the breakfast posters have been hidden. Sooooo... I completely agree it can be a time suck and that FB oversteps their boundaries, but there's a lot of us who use it for other stuff and don't live there. Those people need to wake up! :)

ArtLady1981
01-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I've got my girls as friends, but they don't post often. Of the three one works for the federal government (NSF) and another will soon have her teaching credentials. They are very aware of the dangers of social sites. I just checked what's on my newsfeed today...NatGeo, Time Magazine, National Zoo, a couple book authors, free kindle book site, a funny actor, a cat site, my vet, a couple knitting sites... I have several friends that will show up if they post, but the breakfast posters have been hidden. Sooooo... I completely agree it can be a time suck and that FB oversteps their boundaries, but there's a lot of us who use it for other stuff and don't live there. Those people need to wake up! :)

Yeah, I use it for news, too. Also, Twitter and Flipboard.

Jan in CA
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I use it for news, too. Also, Twitter and Flipboard.

I have a few news apps, but only the ones I mentioned are on FB. The stuff they put on there is just special stuff. Saw a newly discovered lizard on NatGeo today.

I only use one other sorta social site...Pinterest, but it's a stand alone app. It's not really social though in the same way FB and twitter are. I "pin" recipes and look at the San Diego Zoo baby panda pics, or knit or craft stuff I like. Some people go nuts on there as well and I only follow select boards.

ArtLady1981
01-17-2013, 12:27 AM
I have a few news apps, but only the ones I mentioned are on FB. The stuff they put on there is just special stuff. Saw a newly discovered lizard on NatGeo today.

I only use one other sorta social site...Pinterest, but it's a stand alone app. It's not really social though in the same way FB and twitter are. I "pin" recipes and look at the San Diego Zoo baby panda pics, or knit or craft stuff I like. Some people go nuts on there as well and I only follow select boards.

Oh yeah, my daughter twisted my arm to install Pinterest on my Smartphone. Not sure if it's going to be worth my time. She spends hours on it.

Jan in CA
01-17-2013, 12:55 AM
I check these sites once or twice a day, but I don't live on them. I knit, read a lot, email my daughters, house stuff....

First thing I suggest with Pinterest... Unfollow everyone!! Then be selective. If you like cooking, search for specific topics or people. (Like Martha Stewart, dairy free, knitting, etc.) the select only the boards you are interested in. For instance you might be interested in Martha Stewart desserts, but not crafts. I have a board for holiday decorating, things I love, great ideas I've seen, healthy food.... If you personalize it it makes it useful. I've looked up recipes I've saved for and printed them to use. I usually pin stuff I've seen on there only. Only a few were things I found on the Internet.

ArtLady1981
01-17-2013, 12:57 AM
I check these sites once or twice a day, but I don't live on them. I knit, read a lot, email my daughters, house stuff....

First thing I suggest with Pinterest... Unfollow everyone!! Then be selective. If you like cooking, search for specific topics or people. (Like Martha Stewart, dairy free, knitting, etc.) the select only the boards you are interested in. For instance you might be interested in Martha Stewart desserts, but not crafts. I have a board for holiday decorating, things I love, great ideas I've seen, healthy food.... If you personalize it it makes it useful. I've looked up recipes I've saved for and printed them to use. I usually pin stuff I've seen on there only. Only a few were things I found on the Internet.

Thanks Jan!!! :hug:

mojo11
01-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Lion puts out a lot of patterns, there's a lot that were knitty patterns and other sites. Depends what category you're looking in.

Very true. And KPC was always a collection of links to patterns -- and tutorials and so forth. But the big difference is that -- at least for the free patterns -- you don't have to set up an identity on Knitty or Red Heart or Plymouth Yarn or most of the others to see what the thing looks like. But before LB will even let you see a photo -- never mind a pattern -- you have to give them information. And I'm disinclined to give that information out without a good reason. Especially in these times.

My girlfriend has an account on LB -- specifically for their pattern collection -- but yesterday I was looking for a pattern for something I wanted to make for her... and that would kinda spoil the surprise, wouldn't it? (BTW, when/if I get around to actually making the thing, be prepared for a bazillion questions... because I won't have my Yoda available to ask...)

suzeeq
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't mind using my real email address to sign up for sites; I also signed up for Lion's weekly newsletters that have patterns in them. Often they're some I'm interested in.

insanenewknitter
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I am not on FB and never intend to be on it.

I got pulled into the Google Plus trap last year, not realizing what I was getting into. It's too easy to find yourself constantly checking to see if somebody posted something new, or if somebody commented on your post. It hit me that I was spending WAAAY too much time on something so stupid. Why waste the energy knowing very little detail (and commenting on?!) of people's lives, when you could be knitting or doing something else worthwhile? I don't have the emotional energy to follow everybody else's problems, when I've got my own.

I love Pinterest, and the only people I follow are my sisters, who always pin cute, crafty stuff. I'll occasionally pin a knitting pattern or a recipe, but I prefer to look at their stuff.

My sister pinned this hilarious meme...

"Pinterest makes me like people I've never met. Facebook makes me hate people I know in real life."

Isn't it the truth?!?

mojo11
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't mind using my real email address to sign up for sites; I also signed up for Lion's weekly newsletters that have patterns in them. Often they're some I'm interested in.

I think the thing that annoys me is that they're not even willing to show you the FO so you can TELL if you're interested in it unless you say the magic words. But it's more of a loss for LB. You can't sell me what I don't like in the window... and they don't even HAVE a window.

Jan in CA
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
I do 99.9% of my pattern shopping on Ravelry. If the pattern goes to an outside link I have a junk mail address that I use for pattern sites. I also often use an Internet name I've used off and on. If they ask for my street address or phone I just pass it up. There are plenty of other similar patterns that aren't asking for personal info. The only time I will give them info is if I'm purchasing a pattern, but since I usually use Ravelry/PayPal I don't need to add any more since they are usually PDF.

GrumpyGramma
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Once upon a time I actually placed an order with LB so they got my info then. What I dislike most is you can't cant look at a specific type of pattern, say just knit hats, and to find anything you have to scroll through a lot of stuff that's not pertinent. A lot of their patterns show up on ravelry and that's how I first become aware of them. I wrote something about using one of their patterns once and got a code for *I think* $5 off on my order from them. Overall I think the site is poorly set up and finding what I want there is more likely to come from a ravelry link or a google hit.