PDA

View Full Version : ...never asked this before...

starbuckundomiel
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm a knitter by nature, crochet somehow escapes me for the most part. I can do it but... I have probably the silliest question in the world but I have to ask:

If the pattern says ch 26, does the loop you start with in the beginning count as one or zero? In other words, do I start with, "...two, three..." when counting the actual hooking or, "one, two, three..." etc.?

Not knowing things like this is why I knit, :oo:

but, I'm going to make a toilet seat and tank top cover and I cannot find any such pattern for knitting but one, and it isn't really pretty. I'd love to crochet this kind (http://www.luulla.com/product/16213/set-of-2-crochet-patterns---toilet-seat-cover-1vc2012-toilet-tank-lid-cover-2vc2012), or the other crochet ones I've seen in the old time crochet books online everywhere, with roses etc in/on them, but ... that's like wanting to fly to the moon at this point in my needlework journey. I've found a simple enough (http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/rugs/star93-toilet-seat-cover) one for my level of inexperience... I hope!:pray:

Thanks for the answer in advance... I'm sure you're all just dying to say...
:aww:

GrumpyGramma
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
"If the pattern says ch 26, does the loop you start with in the beginning count as one or zero?"

Do you mean your slip knot you have on the hook to start chaining? No, it does not count. One will be the first loop you make after that. I cheat. I make extra chains in case I miscounted (counting sts is much easier than counting chains) and then undo the extras. Better yet at least for me, whenever possible I would use Single Crochet Chain aka Foundation Single Crochet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIWXLSsYL7s)

"Not knowing things like this is why I knit, " I find it's easier to follow a knitting pattern than a crochet pattern. With some crochet patterns I've worked I have problems with getting the last sts at the end of a row right and want to turn before the row is finished. I don't know why. Sometimes learning to fudge a bit, as with the number of chains, helps. Having extra chains is much better than being a few or even one short when you need a really long chain (say 100+) to start.

starbuckundomiel
01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Ahhh... so that's a foundation sc... I always thought that was what my mom called a half-double crochet. I looked for videos on that but couldn't find it. I'm not adept at wording things simply. Ask anyone, lol. Just last night dh said, "You take 100 words to say something that can be said in 5." So, I asked him how and for the life of me, I can't remember what he said. Must be my mind was off in the ether again... actually, I was concentrating on how and what stitch I would use to make... play trumpets now---

Bath towels. Yep. Bath towels. They are getting way too expensive for decent quality so I've decided to make all my own towels and washcloths, dishcloths, etc.

One of my dreams ... one of the miracles I want to perform before I leave this planet for good is make a beautiful lace tablecloth. My mom made one and it's just a joy to behold.

Anyway, yes, the slip knot is what I'm talking about. I'm following the patt best as I can but am not sure about how I'm doing, lol. I just learned to make the loop stitch today... it was like grinding rocks in my head, lol. I now have a row of 9 loops, ranging in size from 1/2 " to 1 1/2". My first loop row. I'm going to save it. It looks horrible, lol. But I got 'er done!:woohoo::woot:

When going around and around, how do you keep track of what row you're on?! I get so lost making doilies and that's just my creations of messes that look like drunk spiderwebs.

You are so helpful. I don't know what I'd do without ya, GG :hug:

Thank you!

suzeeq
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
so that's a foundation sc... I always thought that was what my mom called a half-double crochet.

Depends where in the world you are. The UK and US use the terms differently -

UK sc = US slip st
UK dc = US sc
UK tr = US dc
- and so on, though I'm not sure where hdc fits.

starbuckundomiel
01-07-2013, 02:25 PM
I find it's easier to follow a knitting pattern than a crochet pattern. With some crochet patterns I've worked I have problems with getting the last sts at the end of a row right and want to turn before the row is finished. I don't know why. Sometimes learning to fudge a bit, as with the number of chains, helps. Having extra chains is much better than being a few or even one short when you need a really long chain (say 100+) to start.

I have trouble with simple things like, "sc in second ch from first ch." Now my brain goes, 'Which one is the first one? the first one that I chained from the beginning or the first one from the crochet hook part going the other way?' I figure if it wants next to the first one I chained, then it would make a circle and they'd say 'join' or something and start talking about rnds, right? But that takes some getting to, from the first time I read that.

I'd hate to think crocheters are smarter than we are...:whoosh:

starbuckundomiel
01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Depends where in the world you are. The UK and US use the terms differently -

UK sc = US slip st
UK dc = US sc
UK tr = US dc
- and so on, though I'm not sure where hdc fits.

As if I wasn't already confused. *laughing* Thanks... I don't know either. I wonder if it's the old fashioned way of saying something else, like the tights/leotards conundrum. :teehee:What do they call treble crochet in UK?

suzeeq
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't know what trc is in the UK, haven't crocheted since I found there was a difference, and haven't used British patterns. Ahh, found this chart, (http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/crochet.html) they call it a double treble.

starbuckundomiel
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Hey, Suzie, Look what I just found (looking for a vid on how to inc sts in crochet...) half-double-crochet (http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/crostiand.html) is on this page.

GrumpyGramma
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
My sister said something to me about a crochet and a half. I had no idea what she was talking about. She showed me what she was doing, it was a hdc. Her DIL learned to crochet from her grandmother and found out recently that what she called a sc is something else, thought I've no idea what, maybe a hdc or maybe a British sc. Working patterns with either of them is something I'd not even try, my NIL did say she'd always wondered why patterns didn't work out for her.

You never count the loop on your hook as in, sc in second chain from hook, you'd count the first one not on the hook as one, then sc in the next.

Rounds. When you're working rounds, look up a video! Or ask if you can't find one. Someone can probably provide a link.

If you're serious about really learning to crochet and work with patterns, I think bethintx1 on youtube has some videos about that, mikeysmail might (he irks me, he said something like, I do this because I'm a professional about something and that really got to me) and he doesn't/didn't know what a ripple afghan is (maybe ripple is a U.S. term and since he's in Canada....), and calls his yarn string (I know, I know, I'm nitpicking) but he's good and lots of people like him. There are lots of others too.

When you work rounds that are joined, it's easier to tell when you reach the end of the round than when working spiral, marking the stitch helps.

"I'd hate to think crocheters are smarter than we are..." Perish the thought! :zombie: Some people read knit and crochet equally well and are adept at both. What'ca think about them?

fatoldladyinpjs
01-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83tzk49DzI&list=SP3C883B66C995F0D5&index=76

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEBR6SCt8IA&list=SP3C883B66C995F0D5&index=75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCm1mnyRCfI&list=SP3C883B66C995F0D5&index=74

GrumpyGramma
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Did you find out how to inc in crochet? You'll make it happy h****er status yet! :thumbsup:

I found you a video! Increasing and Decreasing Crochet Stitches (http://www.monkeysee.com/play/6930-increasing-and-decreasing-crochet-stitches) You'll love this gal, she doesn't know if she's knitting or crocheting part of the time, but I think you'll be able to follow what she's doing. Anticipating that you'll need to know, this video also shows how to decrease in sc and how to add new yarn. :clink:

This is one of the better ones I've found. She doesn't chatter on endlessly, gets to the point, shows you what you want to know and then shuts up! Much as Amy does with her videos. Some videos I've found, by the time they get to what I want to know I"ve forgotten what I wanted to know and that explains, in part, why I'm GrumpyGramma. :wink:

MGM
01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
I just thought I'd throw in a plug here for my website, Hooked On Needles (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/), where you will find lots of video tutorials on knitting, crocheting and other fun things, from beginner all the way up to some fancy stuff. Just click on the Handy Links on the sidebar for whatever you want information about, then you'll get to a list of links for all sorts of information!

Hope this helps!

MGM

GrumpyGramma
01-08-2013, 12:03 AM
I just thought I'd throw in a plug here for my website, Hooked On Needles (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/), where you will find lots of video tutorials on knitting, crocheting and other fun things, from beginner all the way up to some fancy stuff. Just click on the Handy Links on the sidebar for whatever you want information about, then you'll get to a list of links for all sorts of information!

Hope this helps!

MGM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I added your link at the very top of my blog thread here so now I can find you again!

Antares
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Ahhh... so that's a foundation sc... I always thought that was what my mom called a half-double crochet.

The foundation sc and the half-double crochet are not the same stitch, so take note of that.

When going around and around, how do you keep track of what row you're on?!

Yes, it's probably best to place some sort of marker (like a safety pin or paper clip) in the first stitch of the round. Once you become experienced at recognizing stitches, you probably won't need the marker. For example, if you're making a doily, and the first instructions of the round are to chain 10, well, you'll probably notice this big loop when you come back around to it. Meanwhile, stitch markers are the way to go.

When working in rows, it's a good idea to use a stitch marker to mark the stitch you will crochet into after your turning chain. So place your marker in the next to the last stitch of the row, work last stitch of row, work your turning chain, and then you know where the next stitch should go.

I find crochet much easier than knitting, but I learned it first and have pretty well mastered everything crochet (except for those dratted foundation stitches, which I despise)!

cheley
01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Hey, Suzie, Look what I just found (looking for a vid on how to inc sts in crochet...) half-double-crochet (http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/crostiand.html) is on this page. Craftsy.com has tons of classes that you can purchase and download to your computer....very cheap too

fatoldladyinpjs
01-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Did you find out how to inc in crochet? You'll make it happy h****er status yet! :thumbsup:

I found you a video! Increasing and Decreasing Crochet Stitches (http://www.monkeysee.com/play/6930-increasing-and-decreasing-crochet-stitches) You'll love this gal, she doesn't know if she's knitting or crocheting part of the time, but I think you'll be able to follow what she's doing. Anticipating that you'll need to know, this video also shows how to decrease in sc and how to add new yarn. :clink:

This is one of the better ones I've found. She doesn't chatter on endlessly, gets to the point, shows you what you want to know and then shuts up! Much as Amy does with her videos. Some videos I've found, by the time they get to what I want to know I"ve forgotten what I wanted to know and that explains, in part, why I'm GrumpyGramma. :wink:

I know what you're saying. I watched this crochet tutorial where the first five or ten minutes the lady jabbered on about some stupid bird outside and she's videotaping it. I'm like, get to the point, Lady. I just want to see the project video. Bird watch on your own time.

GrumpyGramma
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
I know what you're saying. I watched this crochet tutorial where the first five or ten minutes the lady jabbered on about some stupid bird outside and she's videotaping it. I'm like, get to the point, Lady. I just want to see the project video. Bird watch on your own time.

The videos here at at planetpurl are my faves. Liet Gat (I think that's her name, knitfreedom.com) does good ones too. I won't buy her videos but I do think she can teach. Fortunately I can't remember who did them or what they were for so I can't say who it was...but some of them have to get animal stories or other things in there, I remember something about sea lions. Very effective, I forget the lesson and who gave it but remember the extraneous pita stories.

fatoldladyinpjs
01-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I think it was Bobwilson123 in Australia. She must have gone on about this bird for 10 minutes. Got to the point where I had to drag the little ball on the bottom and fast forward.

fatoldladyinpjs
01-11-2013, 11:01 PM

Hope this helps!

MGM

Just to let you know, I went to this site and my browser blocked it saying it was a site with Malware. You don't want a virus.

GrumpyGramma
01-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Firefox lets me go there, privoxy has no problem, and neither do any of the other programs I have to block stuff and/or warn me. I've seen that at other sites but haven't ever figured out why exactly. Sometimes if I just try again the warning is gone, other times it's not. I've wondered if it has something to do with the ISP somehow.

I'm very unlikely to pick up a virus, they're written almost exclusively for MicroSoft. I use penguin power. ;)

MGM
01-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Just to let you know, I went to this site and my browser blocked it saying it was a site with Malware. You don't want a virus.

Thanks for letting me know. This has happened in the past and we alert our host and they scan the site. I will let them know you have experienced this issue and have them take care of it.

MGM

starbuckundomiel
01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
The foundation sc and the half-double crochet are not the same stitch, so take note of that.

Yes, it's probably best to place some sort of marker (like a safety pin or paper clip) in the first stitch of the round. Once you become experienced at recognizing stitches, you probably won't need the marker. For example, if you're making a doily, and the first instructions of the round are to chain 10, well, you'll probably notice this big loop when you come back around to it. Meanwhile, stitch markers are the way to go.

When working in rows, it's a good idea to use a stitch marker to mark the stitch you will crochet into after your turning chain. So place your marker in the next to the last stitch of the row, work last stitch of row, work your turning chain, and then you know where the next stitch should go.

I find crochet much easier than knitting, but I learned it first and have pretty well mastered everything crochet (except for those dratted foundation stitches, which I despise)!

i dread them too, especially since some do it upside down and others downside up... very confusing. Well, I'm trying to crochet towels now... my biggest problem is finding which is the first and which the last stitches on a row. I keep ending up with either more or less sts than I'm supposed to have :hair:

i've been working on the same little towel for 3 days and nights now... sheesh! sorry but that's why i haven't been back. I did find out that the half double and the sc aren't the same... at all, just that you pull through all sts together for the hdc.

Firefox lets me go there, privoxy has no problem, and neither do any of the other programs I have to block stuff and/or warn me. I've seen that at other sites but haven't ever figured out why exactly. Sometimes if I just try again the warning is gone, other times it's not. I've wondered if it has something to do with the ISP somehow.

I'm very unlikely to pick up a virus, they're written almost exclusively for MicroSoft. I use penguin power. ;)

ah ha... linux. man i miss my linux. believe me "microsoft works" is an oxymoron

so.... that's where i am today. hoping you all are doing wonderfully. i'm only 30 years behind on all my needle work so don't come on line much unless it's a dire need. been through videos and their stuff makes it easy to see the first and last sts... my work, not so much, lol:aww:

love youse guys... be back again when i can. not much today, i know but my brain is not working... many sleepless nights... but i did get the yarn for the tights/leotards so may start working on those next... winter probably, :-P

be good and don't get tangled up in too many knots... and pray i see the light and have a revelation where i can see the sts!

thanks to all for your help and input and links. lol@ the lady talking about the bird... at least she can crochet!

GrumpyGramma
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
ah ha... linux. man i miss my linux. believe me "microsoft works" is an oxymoron

My SIL outlawd MS at his house, he cured MS with Macs all around, I got an old Windows laptop he said should go to ecycle and I'm running Linux Mint on it. If you want to you can go download Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) (it's a great flavor!) and do a dual boot. My drivers all worked out of the box with the d/l and I didn't have to go bald trying to get my printer up and running, now my wifi was another story but in my ignorance of what I was doing...I set up to need MAC addresses and didn't know what I'd done or why, but I got it working, now know what I did, and since it's more secure I'm leaving it like it is.

More later, maybe, gotta run now. Today I actually have a real life!

BTW my SIL, about 14 yrs. ago, told me he was a Computer Consultant (or Insultant depending on who he was working with/for or talking to) and has written or overseen the writing and installation of a lot of the code for a big company's billing system. I need to have him on my good side when it comes to computers so even if I wanted to run MS, I don't think I would.

Antares
01-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Are you using single crochets, hdc, double crochets, what? If you're using single crochets, usually your turning chain (a ch 1) and the sc are grouped together as one stitch.

If you're using any other kind of stitch (hdc, dc, etc.), you're turning chain ACTS AS the first stitch.

At any rate, are you able to identify a stitch right after you make it? I ask because it would seem to me that you can use the method I suggested. That is:

1. crochet in the next-to-the last stitch of a row
2. put a marker in the top of the stitch made in step 1
3. crochet in the last stitch
4. crochet your turning chain and turn
5. crochet in the stitch with the marker in it
6. move your marker up to mark the stitch made in step 5 as the next-to-the-last stitch.

This won't help you the first time you do it, but it should help you in all subsequent rows!

Something else that's good to know is that your turning chain (for hdc, dc, etc.) is usually a little skinnier than a regular stitch. Also, you can tug gently on the stitches at the end of a row and find where the stitch goes into the stitch below. Then follow that stitch up to find the top of it.

starbuckundomiel
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Are you using single crochets, hdc, double crochets, what? If you're using single crochets, usually your turning chain (a ch 1) and the sc are grouped together as one stitch.

If you're using any other kind of stitch (hdc, dc, etc.), you're turning chain ACTS AS the first stitch.

At any rate, are you able to identify a stitch right after you make it? I ask because it would seem to me that you can use the method I suggested. That is:

1. crochet in the next-to-the last stitch of a row
2. put a marker in the top of the stitch made in step 1
3. crochet in the last stitch
4. crochet your turning chain and turn
5. crochet in the stitch with the marker in it
6. move your marker up to mark the stitch made in step 5 as the next-to-the-last stitch.

This won't help you the first time you do it, but it should help you in all subsequent rows!

Something else that's good to know is that your turning chain (for hdc, dc, etc.) is usually a little skinnier than a regular stitch. Also, you can tug gently on the stitches at the end of a row and find where the stitch goes into the stitch below. Then follow that stitch up to find the top of it.

this is good to know. i'm making the 'big girl towel' (http://laurielaliberte.blogspot.com/2010/08/youve-waited-so-patiently.html) right now. this woman has the coolest stuff! so... the first towel turned out kind of pathethically but i love it... like charlie brown's christmas tree. and i'm working on the second. mostly it's just dc and sc and skipping things. i can see the stitches better today, and yeah, i can see them when i make them, it's just getting to the right amount at the end. this morning i have been doing much better. thanks for these tips! i never wanted to learn to crochet but i must have these towels, washcloths, etc. very classy. lotsa brain work tho... i'm getting too old for this stuff :teehee:

Antares
01-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Glad to hear things (crochet-wise) are going more smoothly. I hope it stays that way and just gets easier and easier. Crochet is my first love even though I've been knitting more lately!

Those are beautiful towels. Are they soft, too?

You're never too old to learn something new! It's good for the old noggin'!

Edited to say: Oh, that looks like seed stitch. I can see why you're having a bit of a problem when you get to the end of the row, but hang in there, you'll get it down pat.

MGM
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Edited to say: Oh, that looks like seed stitch. I can see why you're having a bit of a problem when you get to the end of the row, but hang in there, you'll get it down pat.

Those towels are nice! I thought it looked just like my favorite woven stitch that I use for my washcloths and afghans! http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2010/01/learn-to-crochet-woven-stitch-video.html That post has a video on how to do the stitch if you're interested!

MGM

starbuckundomiel
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear things (crochet-wise) are going more smoothly. I hope it stays that way and just gets easier and easier. Crochet is my first love even though I've been knitting more lately!

Those are beautiful towels. Are they soft, too?

You're never too old to learn something new! It's good for the old noggin'!

I guess it would depend on what yarn you used if they are soft but I am using Creme de la Creme yarn. It's on sale so I bought a bunch of it. I was going to buy towels and all that for my new kitchen and the quality for the price sickened me. It really did. What has happened to the love of beauty in this country? And quality. And pride in good work well done? Anyway, I made a pink big girl one and then put this 'petal edging' from a little book I bought on amazon from the 40's or something around the edge and it's gorgeous. I'm waiting for this special button I also bought, to use for it. I'll take a picture when the button gets on.

You notice nobody makes tank sets anymore? You can't get those things for the back of the toilet that keeps it from looking like a cold unfeeling monster. I like soft, cozy bathrooms with lots of fluff. :teehee: So this pattern book has a tank back pattern...

The truth is, the pattern for the towel is dysfunctional if you follow it exactly. Thing is, I can't actually say, or tell what it is that I did when I tweaked it. I can do it but I can't actually describe in words. One thing I did was ch 1 at the end of every row in addition to ch 1 at the beginning and it made a big difference. Also knowing that the turning chain is counted as a sc st really helped. Just little things like that that if you didn't know or someone didn't tell you... I guessed at the ch 1 at the end. I remember my Mom aways ch 1 before turning. I had forgotten after all these years til I was actually doing it. Are you making some?

Those towels are nice! I thought it looked just like my favorite woven stitch that I use for my washcloths and afghans! http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2010/01/learn-to-crochet-woven-stitch-video.html That post has a video on how to do the stitch if you're interested!

MGM

OH wonderful! I like that! Thank you! It looks like this Chinese Waves (http://www.maggiesrags.com/freedishcloth.htm) knitting pattern I found. I can't find the original pattern now, this link doesn't have a pic but this pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38819500@N04/5991776595/) looks like it. Thanks for the link to hooked on needles too!:hug:

And I want to thank all of you that are helping me. If I have neglected to notice your post or something, please just throw a rock at me, because I've been working so hard I come on here and fly through like a palmetto bug in a parachute. :eyes:Thanks to all of you :grphug: I never thought I'd be a crocheter and knitter. I must be getting smarter, GG.. I know they're not supposed to be smarter but.. I have to count EVERY stitch of every row, not mindlessly knitting st st sweaters and watching TV. I've even missed my favorite shows from this, :aww: but it's cool because I'll have knowledge and tame wild strings of yarn! :star:(what? no superman emote? lol)

Have a great day and I'll BE BACK... God knows when though, :-P

starbuckundomiel
01-17-2013, 06:24 PM
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/starbuckundomiel/knitting/THEpinkTowel.jpg

starbuckundomiel
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
I had to reply to my own post because I can't figure out how to write 'AND' post a pic in the same one. the pic sort of took up all the space. Hope the pic isn't too big.

The button came today!

I set it between the other towels so you can see the stitches, etc. See the bleach anti-stains on the towels? See why I'm needing new ones? lol Now I'm working on the bp and fp-ing for the tank set thingie. Fun stuff. Only took 10 tries to get the first row right... whew:hot:

starbuckundomiel
01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
My SIL outlawd MS at his house, he cured MS with Macs all around, I got an old Windows laptop he said should go to ecycle and I'm running Linux Mint on it. If you want to you can go download Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) (it's a great flavor!) and do a dual boot. My drivers all worked out of the box with the d/l and I didn't have to go bald trying to get my printer up and running, now my wifi was another story but in my ignorance of what I was doing...I set up to need MAC addresses and didn't know what I'd done or why, but I got it working, now know what I did, and since it's more secure I'm leaving it like it is.

More later, maybe, gotta run now. Today I actually have a real life!

BTW my SIL, about 14 yrs. ago, told me he was a Computer Consultant (or Insultant depending on who he was working with/for or talking to) and has written or overseen the writing and installation of a lot of the code for a big company's billing system. I need to have him on my good side when it comes to computers so even if I wanted to run MS, I don't think I would.

I went there but
DH says no touchie things without my admin son... which may take a few years. He's so busy he doesn't have time to turn around.

GrumpyGramma
01-17-2013, 09:27 PM
That's beautiful. You did really well on it. Be proud of yourself for a job well done. Think of all you've learned. You're on your way crocheting anything you want.

fatoldladyinpjs
01-18-2013, 02:02 AM
MGM, I know your screen name is your initials. But I have to tell you what I think of every time I see it. I picture the MGM Grand movie logo with the lion roaring, on some big name picture like The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston.

MGM
01-18-2013, 09:06 AM
MGM, I know your screen name is your initials. But I have to tell you what I think of every time I see it. I picture the MGM Grand movie logo with the lion roaring, on some big name picture like The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston.

:aww: Me too! But I can assure you, I am nothing like that roaring lion! Well except I do have some unruly hair to deal with every day!

MGM

MGM
01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Well Starbuck, your towel turned out just lovely! Did you enjoy making it in the end? Wasn't it great learning all this new stuff? Now you can take your new skills and jump into any crochet project you like! Good for you!

MGM

Antares
01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Well, for all your headaches, that towel turned out gorgeous, and the button is perfection itself--nice topper-offer!

If you get discouraged with your current project, just cast your eyes on this beauty to remind yourself of how good your project will eventually look--inspiration indeed.

I hope your newly found crochet skills will continue to flourish! Your stitches are so nice and even, your artistic juices are obviously flowing, and you are learning new stitches and techniques. That's a recipe for success!

starbuckundomiel
01-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Well Starbuck, your towel turned out just lovely! Did you enjoy making it in the end? Wasn't it great learning all this new stuff? Now you can take your new skills and jump into any crochet project you like! Good for you!

MGM 'Aw, gee thanks :teehee: Yeah, it was great once I knew what I was doing. Things were so nice once that started happening. Such pretty things to do with string!

Well, for all your headaches, that towel turned out gorgeous, and the button is perfection itself--nice topper-offer!

If you get discouraged with your current project, just cast your eyes on this beauty to remind yourself of how good your project will eventually look--inspiration indeed.

I hope your newly found crochet skills will continue to flourish! Your stitches are so nice and even, your artistic juices are obviously flowing, and you are learning new stitches and techniques. That's a recipe for success! I know! I will... I have, lol. I'm working on the back of the toilet tank thingie now...as with the towel I've had about 300 false starts but each time it looks better (but I do look at my towel a lot).

I hope all of you have a fun day! :woot:

RosieoinIdaho
01-18-2013, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=fatoldladyinpjs;1365744]Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

This is so awesome! I can't believe I have been crocheting for all these years and have never learned these stitches :woohoo: Think of all the time & unraveling I could have saved when doing afghans!
Thank you so much for sharing the links!

:thumbsup:

GrumpyGramma
01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=fatoldladyinpjs;1365744]Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

This is so awesome! I can't believe I have been crocheting for all these years and have never learned these stitches :woohoo: Think of all the time & unraveling I could have saved when doing afghans!

:thumbsup:

You mean the foundation stitches? Yeah, for all the years I crocheted w/o them.... I knew there must be a way, was told by someone that they'd seen it done, and finally stumbled across it online. Love those foundation stitches.

Antares
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
One interesting note about the foundation stitches: I've read that they were first seen in books from the 1950s; however, in looking through antique crochet books, I found it in books from the early 1900s. It probably originated long before that, though!

Isn't it fun to be a part of such a long history--a history where there's nothing new under the sun, and yet, everything about it is still new and exciting?

GrumpyGramma
01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
I have read that the fsc and fdc are used in filet crochet and some of that is done with very thin thread. That's been around a long time so it may have originated with filet crochet then crossed over to other uses. I dunno. Interesting to think about. Being knotty can be so much fun. :wink:

fatoldladyinpjs
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't think there's anything you can't learn on Youtube. I knew how to crochet but was only doing things like blankets. A year ago, I quit smoking and took up crochet to get my mind off it. I've grown tremendously with Youtube videos. I've learned so much from them. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog (me) new tricks. I find the most interesting tutorials for new projects.

starbuckundomiel
01-19-2013, 10:46 AM
One interesting note about the foundation stitches: I've read that they were first seen in books from the 1950s; however, in looking through antique crochet books, I found it in books from the early 1900s. It probably originated long before that, though!

Isn't it fun to be a part of such a long history--a history where there's nothing new under the sun, and yet, everything about it is still new and exciting? I know! And to think men knitted and crocheted before women did. I read about it in a Canadian knitting book. When men made knitting machines women took up the craft of hand knitting so it wouldn't die out. wtg women! :cheering:

I have read that the fsc and fdc are used in filet crochet and some of that is done with very thin thread. That's been around a long time so it may have originated with filet crochet then crossed over to other uses. I dunno. Interesting to think about. Being knotty can be so much fun. :wink: Ah... just the thing I was thinking about. The toilet tank thing isn't going very well. I keep messing up the count between the back row dc twisties. Not easy. 12 solid hours yesterday and never got past the first 15 rows. Very sad and frustrating. I'm about ready to go plain but... I really would love to do a filet crocheted rose for it. That would be ornate! I looked up on youtube and the filet crochet looks worse than rocket science. :oo:

[quote=fatoldladyinpjs;1365744]Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

:thumbsup: My problem is I can't see any links. :zombie: Have I gone blind or just stupid from crochet fever? I want to do that casting on/first row operation. But thanks a million for the links. Soon as I find them I'm going!:thumbsup:

starbuckundomiel
01-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Here are three videos by Teresa on the single, half double, and double crochet foundation stitches. This gives your work a more flexible edge. It also saves time by doing the chain and first crochet row in one step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83tzk49DzI&list=SP3C883B66C995F0D5&index=76

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEBR6SCt8IA&list=SP3C883B66C995F0D5&index=75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCm1mnyRCfI&list=SP3C883B66C995F0D5&index=74

Oh, duh... I found 'em! Not the brightest bulb in the drawer here. :teehee: I feel so privileged to find such a great source of knowledge! Very grateful for this site and you great people.! Many thanks!

eta: I also got an attack site danger warning for hooked on needles, just to let you know.

GrumpyGramma
01-19-2013, 01:00 PM
The toilet tank thing isn't going very well. I keep messing up the count between the back row dc twisties. Not easy. 12 solid hours yesterday and never got past the first 15 rows. Very sad and frustrating. I'm about ready to go plain but...

Is this the one you're doing? http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/rugs/star93-toilet-seat-cover

fatoldladyinpjs
01-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Teresa has some really good crochet instruction videos, left hand videos, and project videos. If anybody follows Teresa on Youtube, she used to be tjw1963. Now shes TheCrochetGeek. I was freaking out there for a minute thinking Youtube dumped my subscription, but found her in my list with another name.

I'm not happy with Youtube since Google took over. They dumped half my subscriptions and I had to resubscribe. Of course, most of them were my crochet subscriptions. I wish they'd get their stuff together. They're doing some pretty strange things lately. If you are a poster on Youtube for a knitting or crochet business, check your subscriber numbers. If they went way down that may be what happened. Or why you're not getting new video notifications for your favs.

starbuckundomiel
01-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Is this the one you're doing? http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/rugs/star93-toilet-seat-cover I did do a prototype of that one but it looked a bit frumpy so... I got this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097C4VGG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00) little pamphlet... which is why it's unavailable now. And in it, I have to do the bp... which I can do, but I keep messing up and putting sometimes three and sometimes one sc between them when I'm doing it in the back when it's supposed to be only two... ONLY TWO! (I keep yelling that at myself in my head)... so I keep working 3 rows and then catch the mistake and have to tear the same three rows out 200 times. :frog:

However...:eyebrow: I thought of something when I was doing some knitting... a new stitch called seafoam (new for me that is); The pattern makes just a front thingie but my toilet doesn't have any pipes in the back or anything to make only covering the front necessary. Maybe I can add a bunch of stitches so it fits all around, and join the work, work in the round like with circular needles; that way I can always see the work, doing it in the fp position and hopefully eliminating the back mess-ups! Do you thing it would work?

To sum up; It's not the pattern, it's me.

Teresa has some really good crochet instruction videos, left hand videos, and project videos. If anybody follows Teresa on Youtube, she used to be tjw1963. Now shes TheCrochetGeek. I was freaking out there for a minute thinking Youtube dumped my subscription, but found her in my list with another name.

I'm not happy with Youtube since Google took over. They dumped half my subscriptions and I had to resubscribe. Of course, most of them were my crochet subscriptions. I wish they'd get their stuff together. They're doing some pretty strange things lately. If you are a poster on Youtube for a knitting or crochet business, check your subscriber numbers. If they went way down that may be what happened. Or why you're not getting new video notifications for your favs.

Google is like big brother. I don't like them but they are the big clumsy giant that will smash you if you try to get around them. Have you ever tried to contact them? Impossible. They dish it out but never take anything. I think the median age for employees there is like 13.

starbuckundomiel
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi again,

Been away but this is my excuse. This is what I've been able to get made so far. Just finished the toilet lid cover. I ended up making things of my own instead of a pattern. DH made me templates and I crocheted from those. On to washcloths and towels now before doing the tank cover as they are sorely needed. He picked out the colors he wanted, this is for his bathroom. Mine's coming up in the future. Doing his first as it needs it the most.

Have a great week, everyone :hug:

I know this doesn't look very good but I can't get photobucket to work right now. If you click on the thumbnail though, it will show you what it's supposed to look like. It's kind of squat here, lol

GrumpyGramma
01-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Wow! That's great. :thumbsup: I like it lots better than the patterns I've seen. You two make a great team!

Antares
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Beautiful! Good job on the joint creativity, as well as the execution of this set. It looks like you're really getting the hang of crochet.

starbuckundomiel
01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
thank you both! Yeah, I'm actually liking this. At first, as with anything new I crawled through it but yesterday while making washcloths knitting I sort of missed the crochet hook. Uh oh!

Lots more to do still but it's getting done. I really am glad I found this help and met some really nice people. I love the sweater on the other thread. Gotta go and give a thumbs up. :)

eta: after these linens etc. I'm going to make those tights I started out here talking about. Got the yarn but not the time yet.