PDA

View Full Version : Cable Vest finished - yay!!

DavidSydney63
01-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Dear ladies and gents, today I finished my Cable Vest. Such a fun knit and lovely yarn. It's from Patons (Australia)'s book "Jet Mens", page 19. Book 1266. The yarn used is "Jet" a 10 ply wool/alpaca blend with colour variations (at least the one I choose did) of blues, greens and greys.

If anyone would like to see the pattern, just private message me and I'll see what I can do.

DavidSydney63
01-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Here's a slightly more detail photo

JudyD
01-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Very, very nice vest! Your knitting stitches are so even...very professional.

Judy

suzeeq
01-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Very Good job, David! Came out great.

nonny2t
01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
It looks great and I love the yarn you picked out. You did a wonderful job on it!

mojo11
01-10-2013, 10:34 AM
That was quick too! Weren't you just casting that thing on a couple of weeks ago? Or am I thinking of something else? Whatever... great job!

GrumpyGramma
01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Well done! :thumbsup: That's a very good looking vest. You really did do a great job!

salmonmac
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Wow! That is really impressive. I love the colors in the yarn and the design (including the v-neck) came out beautifully. Well done, David.

DavidSydney63
01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks, one and all, it was a trying but fun project. Thanks especially go to the mods here, without whose help, this project would've ended up as a cat blanket.

Jan in CA
01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Wow, great job! It looks great! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-10-2013, 11:09 PM
It's a very handsome vest, David! Kudos to you! :thumbsup:

It sure is nice to have a guy knitter here at KH again. Several years ago we had a very personable knitter with us, he was an over-the-road long-haul trucker who would knit at his favorite Cafe stops. It sure was a way to start conversations with the ladies! He was a great knitter, too!

Jan in CA
01-10-2013, 11:16 PM
It's a very handsome vest, David! Kudos to you! :thumbsup:

It sure is nice to have a guy knitter here at KH again. Several years ago we had a very personable knitter with us, he was an over-the-road long-haul trucker who would knit at his favorite Cafe stops. It sure was a way to start conversations with the ladies! He was a great knitter, too!

We actually have several new guys! :thumbsup:

GrumpyGramma
01-11-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm glad we have several posters who are guys. Their way of seeing things is a bit different. So is their sense of humor. It's nice.

DavidSydney63
01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
It's like playing the piano (which I do), or painting (which I do), gender plays no role in any skill.

The only time gender is a focus is when it's mentioned.

mojo11
01-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks, one and all, it was a trying but fun project. Thanks especially go to the mods here, without whose help, this project would've ended up as a cat blanket.

But a very NICE cat blanket!:thumbsup:

mojo11
01-12-2013, 01:18 PM
It's like playing the piano (which I do), or painting (which I do), gender plays no role in any skill.

The only time gender is a focus is when it's mentioned.

But we testosterone-based life forms DO have a different perspective on things. Whether that's an inherent gender-related thing or simply a difference in life experience is open to question. Nature v. nurture and so forth.

And don't forget cooking -- which I excel at (he said with no trace of modesty). ;) Actually, now I think of it, I knit the same way I cook -- just not as well (yet) -- by technique rather than by recipe.

DavidSydney63
01-13-2013, 07:36 AM
well I'll be ... and I always assumed mojo was a fem fatale...!!

mojo11
01-13-2013, 12:50 PM
well I'll be ... and I always assumed mojo was a fem fatale...!!

Must've been the androgynous username. But as you say, it's only an issue if somebody brings it up. And even then it's a manufactured issue.

Jan in CA
01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
You guys are funny...which is one thing we love about you! :lol: I don't think it's an issue for anyone...more of a curiosity. I know the historical aspect of men knitting, but we rarely see them like we see women. We had guys show up from time to time at our knitting group in the yarn store, but it was rare. You're like that rare bird or animal that everyone talks about..they know they are around, but they are seldom heard from or seen. When there is a sighting everyone goes nuts, but then if they stay around they just become part of the group. ;)

My DH does the cooking, too. He is artsy..does ceramics, paints, woodworking... but while he loves what I do and offers many thoughts he's not interested to try knitting.

GrumpyGramma
01-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Must've been the androgynous username. But as you say, it's only an issue if somebody brings it up. And even then it's a manufactured issue.

I thought it was a reference to another cuppa: mo(re)jo(e). Manufacturing creates jobs which create a paycheck which can be used to buy yarn.

MerigoldinWA
01-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Nice project. Your yarn is very nice too. :thumbsup:

mojo11
01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
... You're like that rare bird or animal that everyone talks about..they know they are around, but they are seldom heard from or seen. When there is a sighting everyone goes nuts...

Hmm... you mean like a Yeti? :think: Come to think of it, I bet Yeti fur would make really WARM yarn. Like Qiviut, only more.

Sasquatch yarn would probably reek, but Yeti...

DavidSydney63
01-15-2013, 02:18 AM
mojo - you're a laugh and a half!

:cheering: :muah:

Jan in CA
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
:roflhard:

Antares
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm very impressed with your handiwork--gorgeous! And I'm amazed at how well the cables show up in this variegated yarn.

Just goes to show you that cables and some multicolored yarns CAN work together (we had a lengthy discussion about this subject here a while back and the general consensus seemed to lean towards not using them together). However, your yarn and pattern choice here blow that theory out of the water! Very professional looking indeed!

Super job! :yay:

DavidSydney63
01-18-2013, 12:06 AM
yep there's no reason why cables can't work on varigated yarns. afterall they really are adding a three dimensional level

mojo11
01-18-2013, 08:25 AM
yep there's no reason why cables can't work on varigated yarns. afterall they really are adding a three dimensional level

I'm working on a cabled scarf at the moment done in a marled alpaca and liking the results. It gives it a gradient effect that approximates the cat I was trying to match. Not exactly the same thing, but similar.

butlersabroad
01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
That's lovely work David, I'm very impressed. Very nice colour choice too. Must be a great feeling to wear something that you made yourself, I get super excited when I put my home made socks on! I think I might pass out if I ever managed something bigger! :woohoo:

TEMA
01-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Glad you stuck it out, David... well worth it.
TEMA:thumbsup:

DavidSydney63
01-22-2013, 04:14 PM
TEMA - I always stick it out when working on a project. I hate giving up. Hence, I now have 1) hoodie, 2) vests, and 3/4 or a jumper (which I'm loving knitting).