PDA

View Full Version : Yarn for charity

krazyknitter
01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm part of a knitting charity that knits hats, socks, teddy bears, etc. to send to babies around the world. But, we are in need of yarn. If anyone has any old yarn that they don't want/use if you help us a great deal.

GrumpyGramma
01-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Does your group have a name?

fatoldladyinpjs
01-14-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry but I hesitate every time I see requests like this. It may not be a legitimate organization, but someone seeking free yarn that will in turn be sold on Ebay for profit. I find it suspicious that this is your first post and you're asking for something. Also, that you can afford the postage to ship something around the world but not the cheaper yarn. Something doesn't add up here.

Jan in CA
01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
I'm afraid I have to agree. There are lots of inexpensive yarns in stores like Walmart and even thrift stores. I knit for charity a lot and buy my yarn. That's part of knitting for charity.

fatoldladyinpjs
01-15-2013, 12:37 AM
I crochet hats for charity. Red Heart Supersaver and Caron One Pound are two economical yarns that won't break the bank. Joann's has OP for around $10. I just saw it at Walmart for around $7 something. I'm sure the worldwide charities have needs, but I'm all for helping in your own hometown. It'll save you postage. I do hats for my local elementary school and for the Salvation Army. I can walk them over. The old expression is: Bloom where you are planted. I'm on a barely there income and still manage to buy yarn. I look upon it as my therapy to stay sane, lower my blood pressure, and as cheap entertainment. I probably give away 95% of what I make.

krazyknitter
01-15-2013, 04:41 AM
It's a non-profit organization called Caring Caps. Here's the website:

http://www.caringcaps.org/

My friend and I started a Caring Caps at our local church. We send the hats to them, which they pay shipping for, and they send the hats to babies around the world. But we are really low on funds to buy enough yarn.

Jan in CA
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot. When you ask questions or request items it's always best to include as much information as possible. Will you be using looms?

If someone would like to send Krazyknitter some yarn, please pm her for her address.

krazyknitter
01-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Yes, we will be using looms.

Jan in CA
01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
I see you're in AZ. I'll see if I can find anything.

BubbaX
01-16-2013, 10:33 PM
I would help if i could but im knitting for charitys and stuff as well.....

but another issue is your selling yarn 2 after asking for it...so im a little worried about that

cheley
01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
[quote=BubbaX;1367008]I would help if i could but im knitting for charitys and stuff as well.....

but another issue is your selling yarn 2 after asking for it... I did not "see" where this person was selling yarn...

Antares
01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Where does this person's post state anything about "shipping around the world"...

First post:

I'm part of a knitting charity that knits hats, socks, teddy bears, etc. to send to babies around the world.

suzeeq
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I really think it's incorrect to assume she's asking for yarn to resell. Go to the website she linked to her charity.

cheley
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
First post:.

cheley
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm part of a knitting charity that knits hats, socks, teddy bears, etc. to send to babies around the world. But, we are in need of yarn. If anyone has any old yarn that they don't want/use if you help us a great deal.

Thanks :) As a matter of fact,l I do tons of it...needles too...PM your address and I will get all out too you promptly...:heart:

BubbaX
01-17-2013, 06:46 PM
I really think it's incorrect to assume she's asking for yarn to resell. Go to the website she linked to her charity.

i did and it says YARN STORE

and asks you to pick the yarn you want

thats why i said what i said and also said im a little worried about that i am not 100% certain thats just why i said A LITTLE WORRIED it wasnt the reason i wasnt helping

suzeeq
01-17-2013, 07:12 PM
This is the link - http://www.caringcaps.org/ - and says nothing about a store that I can see. There's a donate button if you'd like to make a monetary donation rather than yarn.

BubbaX
01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
This is the link - http://www.caringcaps.org/ - and says nothing about a store that I can see. There's a donate button if you'd like to make a monetary donation rather than yarn.

push the arrow it says

Vist the Yarn store

Go on Yarn Store it says

Pick the yarn you want to buy.

BubbaX
01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
He took the yarn store out of there.....

But you still see the ad to buy yarn and im screenshotting these because hes removing them as i mention it........

Jan in CA
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I see the arrow, but I've not seen more than that even before you replied. I clicked on all the links including YouTube and Etsy. The site says all proceeds benefit Caring Caps. :shrug:

The owner is a she... Natalie Barton and I've emailed her ask for info.

BubbaX
01-17-2013, 09:50 PM
i can understand that but my issue is still they ask for yarn and sell it

but just forget i ever said anything........

suzeeq
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
The owner is a she... Natalie Barton and I've emailed her ask for info.

And apparently still a teenager though her family has got behind the project too.

suzeeq
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Well there doesn't seem to be any proof this site is reselling the donated yarn.

GrumpyGramma
01-18-2013, 01:49 AM
I would help if i could but im knitting for charitys and stuff as well.....

but another issue is your selling yarn 2 after asking for it...so im a little worried about that

I think I might understand how you got the idea the yarn is being resold, Bubba. There is a screen at the site linked to that says Visit The Yarn Store but I can't figure out how you get to a site that is selling yarn from there, I don't know what yarn store they mean. Someone earlier wrote:

I'm sorry but I hesitate every time I see requests like this. It may not be a legitimate organization, but someone seeking free yarn that will in turn be sold on Ebay for profit.

If I have any concerns it would be how do we verify that any person or group is affiliated with the Caring Caps group or actually sending them on. I could link to any site and say this is what I'm going to do with whatever I'm asking for.

Jan in CA
01-18-2013, 02:06 AM
I did send an email, GG. However, I've checked all the links on that page, her YouTube page and her FB page. All her proceeds on Etsy go to the charity. I'm pretty sure it's legitimate. I saw it was a registered nonprofit, too. I'll post what I find out about the yarn store.

BubbaX
01-18-2013, 02:08 AM
I think I might understand how you got the idea the yarn is being resold, Bubba. There is a screen at the site linked to that says Visit The Yarn Store but I can't figure out how you get to a site that is selling yarn from there, I don't know what yarn store they mean. Someone earlier wrote:

If I have any concerns it would be how do we verify that any person or group is affiliated with the Caring Caps group or actually sending them on. I could link to any site and say this is what I'm going to do with whatever I'm asking for.

i HAD the link but (il try to find again)
but it says page was taken down or doesnt exist (and it was in my history)

GrumpyGramma
01-18-2013, 02:09 AM
I just read what I wrote, Jan, and I didn't say what I meant. Instead of "have" I meant "had" and failed to follow up by saying you're looking at all these things. I'm sorry.

Jan in CA
01-18-2013, 02:15 AM
No problem! :thumbsup: