PDA

View Full Version : Finding Amy's videos when I need them

GrumpyGramma
01-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Is there a way to search for a particular video on this site? I haven't found a way to do it. I never seem to be able to find the video I want, when I want it. If I go to the Knitting Help youtube channel I can search and usually find it, but I'd really like to not have to do it that way. What am I missing?

mojo11
01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Is there a way to search for a particular video on this site? I haven't found a way to do it. I never seem to be able to find the video I want, when I want it. If I go to the Knitting Help youtube channel I can search and usually find it, but I'd really like to not have to do it that way. What am I missing?

I suppose you (the Royal "You") could copy all of the kinks into a blog thread... if you have that kind of patience. :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
There's a video tab at the top of the page... Mostly the sections are self explanatory. Increases, decreases, cast ons and advanced techniques like fair isle, intarsia, DPN, etc. Tips are fixing mistakes, joining, center pull ball,... You remember them on your own after awhile. :lol:

I don't use YouTube for KH videos. I use the app or the forum video tab.

sakura-panda
01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Do you have an example? I went to the search box and the very top of the screen (all the way to the right) and typed in:

video: cast on

...and it came back with a list of videos about casting on.

suzeeq
01-23-2013, 05:54 PM
But not all the videos are listed on the video page. On the Increases page there used to be links to the purl increases below the descriptions and link for the knit ones. I've asked if those links can be put in somewhere because telling someone that m1p is the same as m1k except you purl it often doesn't work for everyone.

The Glossary page also has links to many of the videos that aren't covered by the main Video pages - ptbl, double decreases, k-b for k1below and several others. That's probably the best index we have though.

mojo11
01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
But not all the videos are listed on the video page. On the Increases page there used to be links to the purl increases below the descriptions and link for the knit ones. I've asked if those links can be put in somewhere because telling someone that m1p is the same as m1k except you purl it often doesn't work for everyone.

The Glossary page also has links to many of the videos that aren't covered by the main Video pages - ptbl, double decreases, k-b for k1below and several others. That's probably the best index we have though.

Usually search functions search the whole site, or at least offer the option of searching the whole site. Try it with a video you know isn't on the video tab and see if it gives you the results you expect.

suzeeq
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Usually search functions search the whole site, or at least offer the option of searching the whole site. Try it with a video you know isn't on the video tab and see if it gives you the results you expect.

Oh I'm sure. I was replying to Jan's post to go to the Video tabs and see the links to the different sections there - Cast ons, Knit, Purl, Increases, Decreases, Cast off, Tips and Advanced Techniques. I still have trouble remembering if certain videos I know are here are on the Tips or Adv Techniques page

Jan in CA
01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I hadn't noticed that, Sue. I see there are some links on the glossary page though so that is certainly something to check if you don't find what you want. The app has some on the specific section fortunately.

GrumpyGramma
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I decided to try the circular gauge swatch video and tried searching for it, no videos came up but there were threads. I think I'm just dense. I never remember which section some videos are in. The cast ons or increases and decreases are pretty easy to find but some are just more elusive. I'll just not worry about it and post links for whatever videos I find. It's just that I'd rather post links for KH videos whenever I can.

suzeeq
01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Try the Tips page for it, maybe Adv Techniques.

salmonmac
01-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Getting Started
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/circular-gauge-swatch

GrumpyGramma
01-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Try the Tips page for it, maybe Adv Techniques.

I have a very short attention span and find it I forget what I was looking for or get sidetracked. I'll just stick with youtube in the main. It's not a big deal to me, I was just curious.

Thanks to everyone who has responded!

sheldon
01-23-2013, 10:13 PM
The videos should come up near the top of the search results, but you have to make sure you are using the site search and not the forum search. The site search is in the upper right corner across the top of all the pages on the site (the red bar). If you use the forum search it will only give you forum posts and threads.

Now that said, the site search does leave something to be desired. We are planning on rolling our own search (right now we outsource that to google) with the plan of making the search more accurate and useful, particularly when it comes to finding specific vides by name, aka, and abbreviation. The KH iPhone app is much better than the website in this regard and our hope is to bring the search features of the app to the website.

The site currently has 163 videos (and growing)! So we definitely want to make it easier for folks to find things.

Thanks for your patience as we work and re-work things on KnittingHelp.

GrumpyGramma
01-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Sheldon, thank you for your personal attention and reply. I hope you understand that I wasn't complaining. I really thought I was missing something. I think I used the wrong Search field too. No matter how well planned and run a site is, you can't ID10T proof it. I really like Amy's videos so much I like to make sure others get to see them too. We all know Knitting Help is the best!

sakura-panda
01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
I decided to try the circular gauge swatch video and tried searching for it, no videos came up but there were threads. I think I'm just dense. I never remember which section some videos are in. The cast ons or increases and decreases are pretty easy to find but some are just more elusive. I'll just not worry about it and post links for whatever videos I find. It's just that I'd rather post links for KH videos whenever I can.

I put in video: gauge in the red search box at the very top of the page (located above all the tabs, just below the red banner with Knitting Help ads) and got this:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/search-results.html?cx=partner-pub-6568660466100111%3Abre0bp-64hp&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=video%3A+gauge&sa=Search

There some google ads at the top, but the first link right below those is Circular Gauge Swatch | KnittingHelp.com (www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/circular-gauge-swatch), "How to knit a gauge swatch for your “knit in the round” project. Also a couple of tips for skipping the gauge swatch altogether! Category: knitting in the round ..."

I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

I use this technique for google searches too; you can put in a website, with a colon, and google will only search there rather than the entire internet.

knittinghelp: gauge video => https://www.google.com/search?q=knittinghelp%3A+gauge+video&oq=knittinghelp%3A+gauge+video&aqs=chrome.0.57j58.2179&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Second item from the top. :)

sheldon
01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Sheldon, thank you for your personal attention and reply. I hope you understand that I wasn't complaining. I really thought I was missing something. I think I used the wrong Search field too. No matter how well planned and run a site is, you can't ID10T proof it. I really like Amy's videos so much I like to make sure others get to see them too. We all know Knitting Help is the best!

No, I definitely didn't take it as a complaint. I am glad you brought up this discussion as it's something that has been bothering me. The site has grown a lot over the years and new content has been added. This is great for folks who browse the site. But, as you found out, it can be hard for people to find a specific video they once saw somewhere on the site. We want KnittingHelp.com to be people's GoTo site for knitting help. So any feedback we receive from users to facilitate that is more than welcome! Thank you!

GrumpyGramma
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Sheldon, if you want someone to test drive something to see if just about anyone could use it easily, let me know. Obviously I'm not adept at figuring these things out.

ETA: The search box at the very top of the page doesn't work for me, it must be a browser setting or something, I find the same problem with my FF at ravelry. I thought it might be 3rd party cookies but they are enabled, I just checked. The "form" part of the page shows but no search results.

suzeeq
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Maybe it's what you use for search words? I just typed in 'video m1p' and got lots of results but they were all for forum threads, not the videos themselves. Using 'purl decrease' brought up the videos for SSP, and another left slanting purl dec. 'Purl increase' brings up pfb both english and continental. It's searching on the descriptions written for the videos rather than by name I think. So you have to be very specific in the words used. 'Circular Gauge swatch video' brings up a link to standard knitting in the round, not the flat knit swatch.

GrumpyGramma
01-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks, Sue, but it doesn't matter what I search on, I get white space and that's all. It's something I've set in my browser or an extension or something, I just don't know what. My son could help me figure it out, I expect it's a privacy thing since I am paranoid and go to extremes. I just save Chrome for things like that and don't use it for online banking or ordering from Knit Picks or anything else I feel really wary about. That didn't stop someone from using my debit card fraudulently but the bank didn't think it had anything to do with being online.

suzeeq
01-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Did you scroll down and/or wait a few seconds? I thought I was getting nothing, then after a couple seconds there were results, especially scrolling down. The page was waiting for the links to other sites to load, then so did the rest of the links.

GrumpyGramma
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM
No matter what I try to search for the Search field is emptied and I get white space. Searching for a video will take me to the Videos page. This attempt was done from the Home page, the terms were "video: gauge". I accept that I have settings that are incompatible and that's OK. It could even be something to do with my Linux OS but since Chrome works for searches I don't think so. Waiting minutes makes no difference.

I don't expect modifications for my individual situation. I make choices about how I use the web and I deal with what does and doesn't work right. Later I may try changing some things to see if I can figure out my situation. Till then, all's good.

suzeeq
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
That's what I get for a second or two. What version FF are you using? I have 3.6 or something and from what I hear about the next version, I don't wanna upgrade at all. Or are you using Chrome? Try another browser.

Lizars1735
01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
No matter what I try to search for the Search field is emptied and I get white space. Searching for a video will take me to the Videos page. This attempt was done from the Home page, the terms were "video: gauge". I accept that I have settings that are incompatible and that's OK. It could even be something to do with my Linux OS but since Chrome works for searches I don't think so. Waiting minutes makes no difference.

I don't expect modifications for my individual situation. I make choices about how I use the web and I deal with what does and doesn't work right. Later I may try changing some things to see if I can figure out my situation. Till then, all's good.

You probably have an ad block setting. When you do a search, the first thing to come up is a box of other website ads, then if you scroll down below that you see search results. Do you still get nothing when you scroll? A lot of ad block software will just leave empty space where an ad would be.

GrumpyGramma
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for trying to help me with this. Now I'm in Chrome. Search tells me "Loading"....Several minutes later, nothing has changed. LOL I just noticed the animated emoticons are animated in Chrome and they haven't been in FF for a while now. My FF is 18.0.1 Mozilla Firfox for Linux Mint - 1.0..

I'll play around with my extensions/add ons and see what I can figure out. We'd rather be knitting, wouldn't we? I feel like people are spending too much time on this. Please, I don't want to be a pita.

Lizars1735
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for trying to help me with this. Now I'm in Chrome. Search tells me "Loading"....Several minutes later, nothing has changed. LOL I just noticed the animated emoticons are animated in Chrome and they haven't been in FF for a while now. My FF is 18.0.1 Mozilla Firfox for Linux Mint - 1.0..

I'll play around with my extensions/add ons and see what I can figure out. We'd rather be knitting, wouldn't we? I feel like people are spending too much time on this. Please, I don't want to be a pita.

You're not being a pita if people want to try to help. Besides, I'm at work so I can't knit. I'm surprised that chrome doesn't work because the search is a google powered search. So check google settings, and good luck with it. I found a lot of interesting videos while trying to help in your search problem.

sheldon
01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
One thing to check is to see whether or not your have javascript disabled. Recently we have seen some people mistakenly disable javascript because there was a recent report about an exploit in Java and the recommendation was to disable Java immediately.

Javascript and Java are two completely different things. Disabling Java is prudent and recommended. Disabling javascript isn't recommended and can cause many modern website not to work properly.

We routinely tested KnittingHelp.com on the most popular browsers to ensure things work as they should. Sometimes we miss something or sometimes a new browser comes out and causes something to act weird. But as of recently, the site, including search, should work on great on the usual suspects of browsers: IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

I am planning on pushing up our schedule for having a video search implemented into KH. I may try to cobble together a quick beta in the next few days and release it. I will let you know by posting here.

Cheers!

Sheldon

GrumpyGramma
01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks again, Sheldon. I now know what keeps me from using the site search and I know what to do to make it work, the question now, is will I do it? I have to figure out how to whitelist for the search and as it's google my DS who has run gaming sites tells me it might not whitelist specifically for this site. As I said, I make my choices and live with the results. For right now I think I'll stick with the youtube channel and find the videos there.

sheldon
01-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I just started a new thread announcing our newest feature, the KH video index. But I thought I would post in here as well since this was the thread that spurred the innovation. Here's the link:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/index

We hope you like it!

GrumpyGramma
01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
:thumbsup:
:woot:
:cheering:

'nuff said. :p

Jan in CA
02-24-2013, 01:43 AM
there was a recent report about an exploit in Java and the recommendation was to disable Java immediately.

Javascript and Java are two completely different things. Disabling Java is prudent and recommended.

What does Java do? And how do you disable it?