PDA

View Full Version : Coral 2 Knitting Stitch

claireweber
02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I fell in love with the Coral 2 Stitch on the knittingfool site. For the life of me, I am not able to figure it out. I count the stitches in the written directions, as well as on the graph and they seem to be wrong; it reads a multiple of 18 stitches plus 5 stitches. With one pattern repeat, first row reads 37 stitches, second row 41 stitches, and so on. I tried working up a swatch and it was wrong. Is there anyone here that can assist me? I am perplexed.

suzeeq
02-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi and Welcome. Here's the link (http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.guest.cfm?StitchID=2530&name=Coral%202&numofst=18&stplus=5&rows=12&rplus=0)to the pattern stitch so others can find it too.

This stitch pattern has a different number of stitches on each row. The repeat - yo, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k9, k2-tog - has 4 YOs but only 2 decs so you gain 2 stitches there. The beg of row has a dec and no inc, and the end stitches add 4 YOs and only 1 decrease. So at the end of the row you'll have added sts, but row 2 has the decs that make up for it.

It's counted a bit odd, but try reading it as the last repeat of the repeats isn't done the same as the other ones. The YOs don't use a stitch, so you do use 18 sts in the repeat, 7 sts before it and last repeat ends with 'k2tog, k5' instead of 'ssk, k9.

claireweber
02-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you Sue for responding so quickly. I love this stitch and really want to use it in my project ♥ I cast on 41 stitches for my swatch. I followed the "Begin Row" instruction for Row 1, did one pattern repeat, and then followed "End Row" instruction. I am now left with 4 cast-on stitches on my left needle. I just don't know what is wrong here.

salmonmac
02-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Beautiful pattern stitch!
Cast on 37sts for your swatch. The first row uses 37sts and ends with 41sts.
The rows alternate, odd rows 41sts total, even row 37sts total if you do one repeat across. The center stitch repeat changes too: odd rows 20sts per repeat, even rows 18sts per repeat. I'd just give it another try, counting sts after every row to make sure the row ends with the correct number. If the pattern looks off, you may need to go back and name the stitches across the row to check for a missing step.

claireweber
02-03-2013, 02:25 PM
So I had decided after a couple of tries to let the four cast on stitches drop off the left needle and Voila! I am on row 5 and it looks to be successful. I am wondering if it may make sense to begin with Row 12 of this pattern stitch. I do love the pattern and am excited because now I will be able to use it. This is a great site! Love, love, love it ♥♥♥

salmonmac
02-03-2013, 04:13 PM
I would probably start with a 37st knit row and thne keep repeating the pattern rows 1-12. You can start with a row 12 (after all repeat #2 will follow a row 12) but remember that you'll need 41sts to do a row 12 which will end with 37sts, perfect to start row 1.

claireweber
02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Thank you for your reply. Working on this stitch pattern in between assisting my husband install cabinets in the laundry alcove :cheering: Up to Row 9 now; when I do my actual project my cast on should be a multiple of 18 stitches plus 1 stitch. Does this seem right to you?

salmonmac
02-03-2013, 05:15 PM
The pattern stitch instructions give it as a multiple of 18 plus 5. I'm not sure how they figure that.
In order to start row 1 you need to cast on 7sts for the beginning + 18sts for the repeat + 12sts for the end (37sts total). So I would think 7sts + some multiple of 18 + 12sts.
I'd try it out on 2 repeats of the pattern just to see how that works out.
Sounds like you have your hands full!

claireweber
02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I wrote knittingfool and told them specifically about the issue that I had with the instructions showing a multiple of 18 stitches plus 5 stitches. In the email I received I was told to refer to a blog entry, address here:

http://1knittingfool.blogspot.com/2013/01/lace-patterns-that-dont-seem-to-work.html

The blog does not appear to answer the problem, maybe I'm not reading correctly. Will you look at the blog and tell me what you think?

salmonmac
02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Yes, there are shared elements in lace patterns but I'm not sure that helps with the question of the cast on. I'll take another look at the chart when I get home.

salmonmac
02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
I still don't see the 18+5 until you finish row 1 which ends with 41sts (18+18+5).
For the cast on, once you have one repeat plus the begin and end sts (18+18+1), the additional repeats are +18. So you can make this pattern as wide as you'd like. Good luck with it and with the laundry cabinets. Love to see a photo of the finished knitting (and ok, the cabinets too).

claireweber
02-05-2013, 01:08 AM
This poor house. When we moved in the laundry alcove (3 1/2 by 5 1/2 feet, bifold doors) was wallpapered, full of holes, ugh. I've stripped the walls, painted, put up a wire rack shelf. Picked up cabinets from HD, nothing fancy, but provided sorely lacking and much needed storage space. My husband came home from work today and opened up the doors and admired ;) , it was very cute.

Recently my husband and I were returning from a weekend in Kitty Hawk, and although this particular yarn shop was supposed to be closed, it was a Monday; but it happened to be MLK day. Well, I thought we could just pop by and much to my delight, they are open on holidays. I found a book by Maggie Jackson, Maggie's Ireland, which has directions for her Ballyconneely Shawl. I had seen pictures of it online and love the shape of the shawl, different stitch patterns worked into rectangles and put together.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2135/2928589212_517dbccfb6_m.jpg

I plan to use stitch patterns different from what she has used (I lean more towards ruffles and lace), and am excited about the project. My most recent project has visited the Frog Pond and has begun resurrection as the first rectangle.

So, I have begun :knitting: I cast on 79 stitches, marking off 3 at the beginning and end of the row to work in a seed stitch, and have knitted 2 rows of the Coral 2 stitch pattern. I pray, no more frogging. I am admittedly winging it as far as what stitch patterns I will use in this project, when one square is finished I will look at it and figure out which one I would like to use next. Scary and exciting at the same time.

Thank you again for your help. I will send you a link when the project is finished, until we speak again, Happy Knitting

ArtLady1981
02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
I'm jazzed about the Coral 2! I think it could make an interesting scarf or baby blanket! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
02-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Well, here's what I think, after spending an hour with this pattern stitch:

The numbers given for the pattern (18 + 5) are wrong.

Cast on 37. (although this is not a multiple of 18+5)

Every RS row begins with the 37, ends with 41.
Every WS row begins with 41, ends with 37.

But adding another span of the pattern stitch is beyond me. I don't think you cast on 37, place stitch marker, cast on a further 37.

Tomorrow I'm going to print another chart or two and do a cut/paste together for a double wide span of pattern stitch and see how it looks.

Simply casting on 37+37 for a double wide version is going to look wonky where they meet in the middle, I believe.

There is a piece to this puzzle that we're all missing, and the webpage is
keeping the secret to themselves.

Edited to add:

Mystery solved! The cut and paste worked. I got the picture.
(I stand by my first impression. Forget the 'multiple of 18 + 5. Bah!)

Two motifs wide: cast on 37.
Three motifs wide: cast on 55.
Four motifs wide: cast on 73.
Five motifs wide: cast on 91...etc etc, adding 18 for each extra motif.

These cast on numbers don't include edge stitches.

For the four motifs wide, your Row 1 would look like this:

K5, K2tog; work the repeat area 3 times; end with YO K1 YO K3 YO K1 YO SSK K5

The 'repeat area' is designated in the written directions here. (http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.guest.cfm?StitchID=2530&name=Coral%202&numofst=18&stplus=5&rows=12&rplus=0)
Of course, the repeat area instructions change as the rows progress. I'm only discussing the very first row of the repeat. But if you print a chart that I've suggested, you'll be right on track for Rows 2-12. The chart won't steer you wrong, or be confusing. If you're not a chart knitter, now is the time to learn to work from a chart.

Will take a photo of my cut and paste modified chart later.

ArtLady1981
02-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Okay, I'll try to upload a photo from my Android phone.

ArtLady1981
02-05-2013, 06:01 PM
First, cut the chart here:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8448020147_52b8f638b4.jpg

Keep this piece:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8449107040_fcd4534913.jpg

Tape the pieces together, for whatever number of repeats you need. This modified piece below adds 2 repeats to the total, or two additional motifs than the original chart. Note> on the far right is the original chart....partly covered over...then the two extra pieces are taped on the left:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8448020363_b24a8427fd_o.jpg

Here is the original chart, but I've color-coded the symbols for easier knitting.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8449107264_edbdf20b02_o.jpg

I hope I don't get into trouble for posting these modified charts to help us understand how the repeat works.

Here (http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.guest.cfm?StitchID=2530&name=Coral%202&numofst=18&stplus=5&rows=12&rplus=0)is the original link to the webpage that features this old pattern stitch. You can view the written there, and if you sign up and join , you can view the chart key that unlocks the meaning of each symbol.

All in all, it's a great website. They have a sweater generator, that works much like The Sweater Wizard software.

claireweber
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
:woohoo: Just checked the knittingfool website and Coral 2 instructions have been changed to reflect a Multiple of 18 stitches plus 1.

ArtLady1981
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
:woohoo: Just checked the knittingfool website and Coral 2 instructions have been changed to reflect a Multiple of 18 stitches plus 1.

That checks out with my stated cast on numbers!

So 18+1 is the correct multiple. Good grief. Talk about a hassle, eh?

salmonmac
02-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Aha, so much for all that blog on sharing between repeats! That's very good and very reponsive of them. Someone is watching and listening. Well done.
Dollyce, beautiful charts and very helpful. Perfect illustration.

claireweber
02-06-2013, 11:11 PM
:shrug: Oh well, I was looking on the knittingfool site for my next stitch pattern, noticed they posted a new picture that is NOT the Coral 2. They got the number for the cast on stitches corrected and at some point today put up the wrong photo. My husband told me I need to quit trying to help them :doh:

ArtLady1981
02-07-2013, 12:45 AM
:shrug: Oh well, I was looking on the knittingfool site for my next stitch pattern, noticed they posted a new picture that is NOT the Coral 2. They got the number for the cast on stitches corrected and at some point today put up the wrong photo. My husband told me I need to quit trying to help them :doh:

Could that yellow swatch be the Coral 2 using lace weight or fingering weight, and then blocked out fully???

The original swatch (old looking) was all scrunched up like it needed blocking.

claireweber
02-07-2013, 01:11 AM
:roflhard: You're right! They actually knitted a new one, and blocked it! I'll have to say that I like it with the middle of the stitch puffed out, looks more like coral that way.
Hopefully not too long before I figure out the next stitch pattern and how to transition into it. First block is done, Coral 2 is a beauty :inlove:

ArtLady1981
02-07-2013, 01:16 AM
:roflhard: You're right! They actually knitted a new one, and blocked it! I'll have to say that I like it with the middle of the stitch puffed out, looks more like coral that way.
Hopefully not too long before I figure out the next stitch pattern and how to transition into it. First block is done, Coral 2 is a beauty :inlove:

I must agree....I like the poofy version, too! But it's nice to know how it will look when blocked!

I knit the Japanese Feather stole and a scarf last year, and you wouldn't believe how poofy they were before blocking. Almost unrecognizable!

salmonmac
02-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Thank you both for clearing that up. I did wonder if the photo was just unblocked or a totally different stitch. Glad the Coral 2 block is looking good. Can't wait to find out what's next!

claireweber
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
My goodness, I just did a google search for an image of this shawl and ran across the most foul-mouthed description of it.

The bottom rectangle of the center piece is 79 stitches wide and 36 rows in length. It is done in the Coral 2, with 3 stitches on each side worked in the seed stitch.

The main section will be wider than the bottom rectangle and it will begin with a simple ruffle, perhaps a kick pleat or a bell. I need to extend the bottom rectangle to provide the space for the overlap and the question is, do I continue with the Coral 2, which will be largely covered, or work it in a stockinette stitch?

I so appreciate everyone's help - this is a really great site :)

suzeeq
02-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Can you post a link to the image, doesn't have to have the description.

claireweber
02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Phew! I just found a link to this on Ravelry, thankfully. I don't want to ever run across that other link again.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ballyconneely-shawl

I'm making my shawl based on the dimensions, the stitch patterns are of my choosing. I've never done anything quite like this before, finding various and sometimes new favorite stitch patterns and putting them together; hoping to create a "whole greater than the sum of its parts".

suzeeq
02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Wow, that's quite a creation! It looks kind of patchwork, can you just add a piece or pieces where you need them or keep knitting to the length you want?

claireweber
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
In looking at the pattern directions, it's knitted in two parts, the bottom two rectangles on the back are worked from the top down, the rest is knitted in one piece, beginning at the bottom of the sleeve to the midpoint at the neck opening and then worked in reverse. It is then joined across the back above the flap. The yarn used is a linen blend with a size 8 needle and she uses 3 different colors of yarn, natural, chocolate and cream.

salmonmac
02-08-2013, 05:17 AM
I love the Maggie Jackson designs and have used a linen blend yarn of hers in a summer sweater. Very nice.
This is going to be a stunning shawl. I'd work the main body and the lower Coral 2 rectangle if that's possible. Then see what stitch looks good to extend the rectangle: stockinette or maybe even garter stitch on a larger needle? Something that isn't too heavy looking.

claireweber
02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Coral 2 is such an intricate stitch - as you suggest, maybe a garter or stockinette stitch to contrast its complexity.
Originally I had miscalculated the dimensions of this shawl :sad: that was the previous project that visited the Frog Pond. I had done the lower rectangle in a lightly textured stitch "Little Corners"
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.member.cfm?StitchID=1011&name=Little%20Corners&numofst=6&stplus=0&rows=12&rplus=0&CFID=91112292&CFTOKEN=52449808
overlapped by a ruffle of "Falling Snow"
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.member.cfm?StitchID=2230&name=Falling%20Snow&numofst=12&stplus=5&rows=6&rplus=0&CFID=91112292&CFTOKEN=52449808
continuing then with a number of rows of "Falling Snow"
While the project was waiting to be frogged I found Coral 2 and fell in love :inlove: I am using a worsted weight merino wool, "malabrigo", color #68 violetas.
My plan is to incorporate the back and the front as one panel, which is different than Maggie Jackson's approach which I had described in a previous post.
So next step is to figure out the stitch pattern for the upper back and front sides. Once I settle on a stitch pattern I will be able to figure out the stitch count for the section directly on top of the Coral 2 panel :cheering: ; then I will be able to :knitting:
The linen yarn sounds lovely. Do you have a photo of the sweater posted anywhere that it can be viewed?
Artlady, I was wondering about your projects using the Japanese Feather stitch, have you posted photos?

ArtLady1981
02-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Here is my Japanese Feather stole:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/japanese-feather-stole-or-scarf-2

Here's my Japanese Feather scarf:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/japanese-feather-stole-or-scarf

claireweber
02-10-2013, 07:49 PM
At last, after a weekend of copying various stitch patterns, and working up samples, I have decided on "Spun Leaves" for the upper back and front sides of the main panel.
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.guest.cfm?StitchID=1290&name=Spun%20Leaves&numofst=12&stplus=1&rows=12&rplus=0
If anyone should decide to use this stitch pattern, please note that until the correction is made on the site, Row 11 under the "End Row" caption reads "ending p3" and it should read "ending k3".
I have a stitch count :cheering: so I am that much closer to :knitting: Just need to figure out the portion directly above the Coral 2 panel, should be pretty simple.
ArtLady - I saw your Japanese Feather projects at ravelry, they are gorgeous! I really liked reading the notes that you took as you progressed. And I wanted to ask you about the charts that you made for Coral 2. Did you generate them from a program? How did you make them?

ArtLady1981
02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I took a digital photo of the chart, loaded it into my laptop, then opened the photo with Paint. In the Paint app you can color in the boxes & symbols in the chart for quicker recognition as you knit along. After that Master Copy of my color coded chart was to my liking, I printed several copies, one for each width wise repeat. Then using a paper cutter I trimmed off the excess blank paper. Then taped the 'repeats' together at the area indicated in the written directions.

It gives a "true view" of what the row will really look . This is really really helpful when you're knitting a lace pattern sweater and armholes & neckline decreases start to bite into the width wise charted repeats. You need a true view of what's going on. At least I do anyway.

This Coral 2 pattern stitch was such a convoluted mystery...a hot mess. First due to the erroneous 18+5 originally stated. Secondly because the written directions are not very good, not clear, not conventionally stated.

I finally wrapped my brain around things by making those several copies of the chart.

claireweber
02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Monday I received Barbara Walker's "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" and "A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns". I was going through the "Second" today and found the "Spade" knitting stitch. The pattern repeat is 18 stitches plus 1, is what caught my eye, and I examined closer. Written up differently than Coral 2, beginning with what is Row 7 on Coral 2 with the pattern repeat set up differently, I think it is one and the same!

claireweber
02-13-2013, 06:43 PM
ArtLady - You mentioned in your last post about using a graph to figure out how to work lace patterns when you come to sleeves and necklines. I will be binding off about 9" in the middle of the main panel of the shawl when I transition from the back section into the front sides. How do you suggest I do this? I would imagine it should be pretty simple in that I would be binding off at the neck and then continuing straight down on both sides. I had mentioned in a previous post that I plan to do the "Spun Leaves" stitch on this part.

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.member.cfm?StitchID=1290&name=Spun%20Leaves&numofst=12&stplus=1&rows=12&rplus=0&CFID=91418862&CFTOKEN=93567548

Thank you for all of your help.

claireweber
02-20-2013, 03:59 AM
Well, I've spent a week knitting up sample swatches of various stitch patterns. I just haven't been able to commit to "Spun Leaves" for the top back and front panels and am now considering "Lily of the Valley":

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.member.cfm?StitchID=1784&name=Lily%20of%20the%20Valley%201&numofst=27&stplus=0&rows=14&rplus=0&CFID=91793873&CFTOKEN=55881135

I love making the little flowers on this, they are absolutely adorable. And the pattern will transition easily from three across on the back to two panels down the front. I think this may just be the one :heart:

Directly above Coral 2 I will be knitting one ruffle of the "Petite Bell Ruffle":

http://www.knittingmagic.info/corners-and-edges/images/291_33_36-knit-bell-ruffle-pattern.jpg

And knitted above this will be "King Charles Brocade":

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.member.cfm?StitchID=131&name=King%20Charles%20Brocade&numofst=12&stplus=1&rows=12&rplus=0&CFID=91793873&CFTOKEN=55881135

So at this point I have a couple of questions about transitioning: (1) From the ruffle into the brocade, and (2) From the brocade into the Lily of the Valley.

The ruffles are worked with a purl stitch background, and the brocade stitch has a stockinette background. My dear husband showed me how to use Excel to chart these patterns, and I've arranged to have the point of the diamond of the brocade fall above the midpoint between every third ruffle. The seed stitch has been used to edge the Coral 2 block, and I plan to use it to edge the ruffle as well as the brocade.

I did a swatch of the Lily of the Valley and it is very curvy on the bottom, so I will be transitioning from the very straight edge of the brocade into the curved bottom edge of the Lily of the Valley. I know it's probably obvious to do a garter stitch here; I've worked almost exclusively from patterns so this is pretty new to me and I'm really not sure.

I am considering using a braid pattern in between the lilies and on the edges:

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/stCatalog2.member.cfm?StitchID=1098&name=Continuous%20Braid&numofst=4&stplus=2&rows=2&rplus=0&CFID=91793873&CFTOKEN=55881135

I do have concern about not using the same edging stitch throughout the project, so I suppose this is another question. It seems to make sense to use the braid to run continuously from the back down the front: on the back separating and edging the lily panels and on the front to edge both sides of the panels. And then there is the issue of the neckline, maybe it could be worked in the same stitch pattern used in the transition from the brocade to the lily patterns.

The help and encouragement are deeply appreciated :muah: I am looking forward to :knitting: on my project again soon.

salmonmac
02-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Those are lovely stitch patterns that you've chosen. I particularly like the lily of the valley, adorable. As long as you're doing swatches on these, why not try connecting them to test out the transitions? Seed stitch is a nice common background where you need it and since it lies flat, may help with transitions.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this in progress.

claireweber
02-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Those are lovely stitch patterns that you've chosen. I particularly like the lily of the valley, adorable. As long as you're doing swatches on these, why not try connecting them to test out the transitions? Seed stitch is a nice common background where you need it and since it lies flat, may help with transitions.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this in progress.

This is thrilling! I am working up a sample with the stitch patterns that I have chosen, transitioning from one to the next. I've done the ruffle and have progressed nicely into the brocade with the seed stitch in between; it is working out beautifully. Thank you so much.

claireweber
02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Here is my Japanese Feather stole:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/japanese-feather-stole-or-scarf-2

Here's my Japanese Feather scarf:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/japanese-feather-stole-or-scarf

The scarf and the stole are gorgeous! I love the notes that you made as you progressed, and your mantra "just one more row". It is a marvel to watch such a thing of beauty flowing from the tips of the needles, how can one possibly stop?