PDA

View Full Version : FO: Small Bag

LoveBugAngel
02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
I am working on making a much bigger one right now but here is the one I finished about 2 weeks ago...it turned out cute but you wouldn't be able to carry anything heavy in it. I crocheted the flower on it

GrumpyGramma
02-16-2013, 07:45 PM
:thumbsup: That is cute! How small is it? Is it lined, will you line the bigger one? The flower is a really nice addition. What pattern did you use to make it?

Jan in CA
02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Very pretty!

LoveBugAngel
02-16-2013, 08:04 PM
It's not lined, I wouldn't know how to line it??? The bigger one that I'm making isn't really looking the same at all, I am using the same type of yarn but it looks very different, again I wouldn't know how to line it. The pattern is from ravelry it's called Flower Power Bag

Here is the size it is when I put it on

GrumpyGramma
02-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks. I d/l the pattern. I find myself looking at yarn I got for a bathroom set and thinking it would make a great bag. Yours is a nice size. I wonder if I could make one with the bottom the same size as a coffee can lid for stabilizing the bottom. I'll blame my efforts to figure this out and make it work on you! :wink: Seriously, yours looks so good I have to give it a go.

nonny2t
02-17-2013, 08:06 AM
It is very cute!

salmonmac
02-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Oh, very nicely done! I love that size and the crocheted flower is looks great on it.

ArtLady1981
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
It's very very nice! The flower embellishment added a great touch!

Antares
02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
I love this bag! You did a great job on it.

Is this one you're planning to sell?

LoveBugAngel
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I might! I have no idea what to charge for it though. I Just finished the bigger version last night it turned out very different, you guys wanna see?

GrumpyGramma
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I might! I have no idea what to charge for it though. I Just finished the bigger version last night it turned out very different, you guys wanna see?

You need to ask? Of course we want to see! Don't be silly. :wink:

ArtLady1981
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM
.....you guys wanna see?

:happydance: Yep! :happydance:

Antares
03-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Do we want to see?!! Now what kind of question is that? It's like asking a knitter if he or she has enough yarn!!

So show us already!

LoveBugAngel
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Every time I try to upload any photo from my phone it says the file is too big, anyone know how to shrink a file from their phone?

LoveBugAngel
03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Ok I think I shrunk it. This one is more of an over the shoulder bag rather than a cross body bag

Antares
03-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Well done! Love the style and the color. Your knit stitches are so nice and even, too!

Glad you were able to get the pic shrunk to size and uploaded. Man, the suspense was killing me (well, not really, but I did want to see it)!!

LoveBugAngel
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks, would any of you know how to line it? Can I do it by hand? I don't have a sewing machine

Antares
03-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes, you can still line it without using a sewing machine. I do recommend that you wash and block the knitted bag and the fabric first, though--the knit item per the ball band instructions and fabric per its care instructions--just to make sure that anything that's going to shrink has shrunk.

Here's a tutorial (http://knitting.about.com/od/finishingtouches/ss/Line-Knit-Purse.htm) about how to line a knit purse. You might do a search and find some other good ones, too.

GrumpyGramma
03-06-2013, 11:55 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for the photo. It's lovely! You don't really want to bother lining it, send it to me and save yourself the trouble. :wink: That looks like a bag you'll enjoy using for a long time. Well done!

LoveBugAngel
03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys, it's made of 100% cotton, should I still wash it? Dry too?

Antares
03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Do you have one of the ball bands? I'd look to see what they recommend (hand washing? machine washing? laying flat to dry? drying in the dryer?).

I would go ahead and wash it even though cotton doesn't generally shrink that much. But it may have contracted some dust and fuzz in its creation, so it wouldn't hurt to wash and dry it per the original instructions.

If you don't have a ball band, you might look the yarn up online to find the washing/drying instructions. Or give us the name here; someone's bound to have used that kind of yarn before and can give you some direction.

GrumpyGramma
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
If the ball band says wash and dry, I would. Did you wash and dry a test swatch? I've never had a problem with shrinkage in cotton knits, but who knows what different yarns will do. Don't dry it too long, if you put it in the dryer.

LoveBugAngel
03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't have the band anymore but it's Bernat handicrafter cotton twists.

I've used the handicrafter cotton before for dishcloths and I wash and dry those in the machine however they do shrink but go back to it's orginal size when wet, but with a bag I wouldn't want that.

So I think I should wash it and lay flat to dry (which if I am correct would be the time to block it) I've never blocked anything so this will be a first. How do you reccommed doing it? I'm also considering sewing in a snap button so I can open and close it.

Antares
03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I would probably machine wash it in cold water, and then lay it out flat on a towel on top of a waterproof surface--like a countertop or something. I usually stretch the object some so that it's the proper (or original) shape, and then just let it air dry. Some people pin the garment or object down if they think it's going to shrink, but you probably don't need to do that. However, after leaving it overnight, you may need to flip it over once, making sure it's still shaped correctly, and let the other side dry.

When it's completely dry, you can add your lining and snaps. Final instructions: Take another picture or two and post it on KH for us to oooh! and aaaaah! over! :)