PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil

Jan in CA
02-21-2013, 11:09 PM
:shifty: Okay, weird topic, but does anyone else use coconut oil? Pure coconut oil not lotion.

I use it on my face, put it in my coffee and oil pull with it. I'll be getting my cholesterol done soon so I'm curious how it's doing and if you use it what your experience is..

justplaincharlotte
02-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Not weird Jan,

I have very dry skin and use Coconut oil for lotion, especially on hands and feet. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

vaknitter
02-25-2013, 02:23 AM
It was interesting to see your post b/c in a google search to occupy myself while I "Ferberize" my youngest son (7months) I found some sites saying that coconut oil is my ticket to a full nights sleep. There were talking about it being in solid form though...more like shortening that would be stirred into cereal at mealtime. Is there a liquid form too if you are putting it in coffee?

Jan in CA
02-25-2013, 03:02 AM
It was interesting to see your post b/c in a google search to occupy myself while I "Ferberize" my youngest son (7months) I found some sites saying that coconut oil is my ticket to a full nights sleep. There were talking about it being in solid form though...more like shortening that would be stirred into cereal at mealtime. Is there a liquid form too if you are putting it in coffee?

It's all solid below 75 degrees or so because its not hydrogenated. What I do is put a couple teaspoons in my cup with a few oz of coffee, stir to melt, then I use my small frother to emulsify it a bit and add the rest of the coffee. You don't have to froth it though. I didn't at first either. It does puddle up a bit without it though.

Start slow with just a teaspoon in a cup to two till you see how you like it and how your body reacts. I drink two cups with about 2-3 tsp now.

I am sleeping better most nights now, but I don't know if it's all the CO or just a lucky break. Time will tell. I still take a sleeping pill, but many nights I only need half and I'm sleeping solid for 6 hours which is new and so nice!

Also... I didn't like the taste of coconut in my coffee. I buy Jarrow Formula expeller pressed and is neutral in flavor. I usually buy it at Sprouts, but but it on amazon last time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JFQ36S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lighting57
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
I bought a large container of pure unprocessed coconut oil. I use it after a shower instead of lotion. It melts quickly, a little goes a long way, and it rubs in and soaks in well. I mainly bought it to use as a conditioner for my hair. Every few weeks I will oil my hair well and leave it several hours or all day then wash it out. After I wash my hair I will apply a small portion to the ends of my hair. You can find a lot on YouTube about using coconut oil for hair. I have read where it is good for cooking, but I can't afford it for cooking. I use a clean spoon to collect a small amount from the container and let it melt in the palm of my hands then I apply it. It taste great too.

sarahrose35
03-11-2013, 07:22 AM
:shifty: Okay, weird topic, but does anyone else use coconut oil? Pure coconut oil not lotion.

I use it on my face, put it in my coffee and oil pull with it. I'll be getting my cholesterol done soon so I'm curious how it's doing and if you use it what your experience is..

i use coconut wash sara:woot: :woot:

MoniDew
03-11-2013, 10:31 AM

YUP! I'm a fan, but... and please understand this is coming from a loving place... Please use your coconut oil externally - face, oil pulling and then spit it out, but don't ingest it if you have high cholesterol!! Coconut oil is 100% pure saturated fat!! Skip all oils, all of them, as well as animal foods and processed foods, stick to 100% whole plant based diet, and that cholesterol level will fall! see Heart Attack Proof (http://www.heartattackproof.com/) by Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn. He details all of this in his book and videos (YouTube him!)

Jan in CA
03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
We are going to have to agree to disagree, Monidew. I've read a few books and done some research on it myself and I'm not really seeing anything bad except from pharmaceutical companies and places who are in their pocket like AMA, ADA, etc. They are all still pushing low, low fat and whole grains and yet..the rate of heart disease and obesity is off the charts. :doh:

Even Dr. Oz, a cardiologist, agrees it's good for you.
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surprising-health-benefits-coconut-oil

We only use olive oil and coconut oil at my house. I avoid all polyunsaturated oils unless it's unavoidable like when I'm visiting or eating out.

Okay, off my soapbox. All that said I think everyone has to find a way of eating they are comfortable with. My WOE is low carb with good fats and protein. My BP is the lowest it's been in 10 yrs, I've lost 25lbs. Works for me. :hug:

GrumpyGramma
03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Way to go, Jan! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Last time my BP was checked it was up to 117/70. I'm typing that again so you know it's not a typo: 117/70. It was up that day.

newamy
03-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Mondew is correct. Here is a nice summary of the latest research. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coconut-oil-clog-arteries/

The reason our bad health is off the charts is due to high fructose corn syrurp, processed grains--often things labled whole grain are not really whole. Lack of protective of phytonutrients in the standard American diet. (meaning lack of vegetables), Food addictions and that the USDA recommendations are co-opted by special interest groups such as the meat and dairy and sugar and corn boards.

Dr. Esselstyn is an excellent source for moire info---I heard him speak in person last fall--he is vibrant and amazing and i in his 80's but I had to look up his age to figure that out. There is similar research being done by Dr. Joel Fhurman, --he wrote Eat to Live, his new book is End Diabetes, or you can check out Dr. Neil Bernard at the Physicians committee for responsible medicine, Dr Collin T Cambell of the China Study, and watch the documentary Forks over Knives. The bottom line is there is no money in healthy plant based recommendations, the beef and dairy industry loose as do the pharmaceutical companies and so does out sick care industry. Eat whole foods plant based diets and stay away from doctor! As Dr. Gregerson says in the video the coconut oil may not be terribly harmful if you already eat really well whole foods plant based and low cholesterol but it won't improve anything if you don't.

I've been vegetarian for years but 2 yrs ago moved to Dr. Fuhrman's style of eating I'm 50 pounds lighter healthier than when I was in my 20's have perfect blood cholesterol LDL, HDL, high energy, I'm stronger, exercise is easier and more desired than before, I feel younger every day. I'm 45. We changed our daughters diet and her asthma is now gone and my husband reversed an autoimmune disorder---hmmm now there are no meds we need to buy.

Also Dr, OZ recommends anything, he has featured Dr. Fuhrman many times but then turns around and features someone else advocating the exact opposite, although the book Eat to Live is called a "medical break through" by Dr. OZ on the cover of the book and he wrote the forward in the new new addition.

It's all worth checking out.

Jan in CA
03-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Way to go, Jan! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Last time my BP was checked it was up to 117/70. I'm typing that again so you know it's not a typo: 117/70. It was up that day.

Good for you! I've been on two blood pressure meds for several years and my BP was averaging 135/80 and sometimes higher. I went to doc on January and it was 110/75! The biggest change was my diet. I'd add the weight loss, but I lost weight before on WW and that didn't affect BP at the time. This WOE is for life. :thumbsup:

Well, like I said we all have to choose what works for us. I had to have an angiogram a few years ago for a heart issue and my cardio said my arteries were "pristine" and I'll note my LDL was a bit high at that point, too. This probably means my LDL was mostly Pattern A which is the large fluffy type.

I'm NOT saying other ways of eating including vegetarianism is bad. Vegetables are great for you and I eat them, too.

GrumpyGramma
03-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I am certain of one thing and one thing only in this regard. If we eat the food, breathe the air, and drink the water, we will die. I've mainly quit listening to the experts. According to them I should have been dead many years ago but actually have very few health problems. There is no one thing that is good for every single person, we're all different and what works for one doesn't for another. I don't see doctors because they will not listen when I tell them I have odd side effects from prescription drugs and if they do listen then the only solution they've offered is another drug to counteract the side effects. A doctor would prescribe drugs for arthritis; I cut out dairy products and take turmeric and my joints are mostly close to pain free most of the time. To each her/his own, may we all be as healthy as possible!

ABC's Mom
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I've been blessed with my grandparents Dutch genes and may visit the Dr. once a year, other than for my yearly physical. Am I overweight, yep, do I exercise, not more than I can help it. Should I change, yep to that as well. I'm on 2 meds, one for cholesterol(genetic reasons) and one to help with mild osteo. Both of my Dutch grand parents lived well into their 90's and my German grandmother on my mom's side also into her 90's. My dad is 84 and going strong!!

AH1OZ
03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
We use coconut oil a lot in this house.

My son has severe atopic dematitise (basically eczema so bad, its not even eczema anymore - caused by a dairy allergy). I have thousands of dollars worth of creams in my "doesn't work" or "he's allergic to it" pile... including Rx creams and steroids. what works for him? coconut oil!

The best way we have found to get it into his skin is to put it in the bath water and let him play for a good 30 minutes. Def need a mat or non slip stickers on the bottom of your tub because it does get slippery! His skin actually looks somewhat normal now!

We also cook with it - a little goes a long way. I don't use much oil to cook, but if I do need oil for something I will put about 1/8 - 1/4 of a teaspoon into the pan and its enough to cook with for most things we cook.

So yes, my family ingests it. We are also dairy free as I have 2 children allergic to dairy. I would much rather them consume coconut oil than processed vegan margarines (ie chemicals), canola oil (which is quite often GMO), corn oil (again, GMO) or other oils. We do occasionally use olive oil - I prefer olive oil for salad dressings for example, because of the taste.

I also use it in my hair, and my clients hair (I am a licensed hairstylist). A tiny little amount works wonders!

I would like to add something to the saturated fat debate - there are different kinds of saturated fats. saturated fats from plant sources are easier to break down than saturated fats from animals. your body does need fats to run efficiently, and if you are living an otherwise relatively healthy lifestyle (rich is whole food, especially if they are predominately plant based) then consuming a bit of coconut oil can be beneficial. if you lead a lifestyle that is already high is fats, coconut oil is not going to be beneficial if consumed.

no one can say that it is beneficial or harmful just by saying someone consumes coconut oil. if you can see the rest of the diet and lifestyle, then maybe a claim as to whether it is beneficial or harmful can be established. but there is no right or wrong answer.

jinxnit55
03-17-2013, 04:43 AM
YUP! I'm a fan, but... and please understand this is coming from a loving place... Please use your coconut oil externally - face, oil pulling and then spit it out, but don't ingest it if you have high cholesterol!! Coconut oil is 100% pure saturated fat!! Skip all oils, all of them, as well as animal foods and processed foods, stick to 100% whole plant based diet, and that cholesterol level will fall! see Heart Attack Proof (http://www.heartattackproof.com/) by Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn. He details all of this in his book and videos (YouTube him!)
Got to disagree, Virgin coconut oil is not a saturated fat, it is monounsaturated. Unlike a lot of triglycerides we ingest, which are "long chain triglycerides," coconut oil is a "medium chain" triglyceride. It is very easily digested, in fact, it is used in the hospital to tube feed seriously ill patients, also used in baby formulas.
Coconut oil got lumped in with bad saturated fats in the 1980s by the crafty soybean industry. They figured that if they could get everybody afraid of saturated fats, they could sell more vegetable oil. You SHOULD be afraid of saturated fats, but coconut oil isn't one of them! Sadly, to this day, coconut oil is still believed by many to be a 'bad fat,' when it's actually super healthy for anybody. Good for weight loss, Crohn's disease, myriad digestive problems, as well as skin and hair, it has antimicrobial effects. It is super easy to digest, in fact pancreatic enzymes aren't even needed to break it down, so it doesn't get absorbed through the intestines and into the blood stream directly. Instead it goes through portal vein to the liver where it supplies glycogen for energy.
We use it for baking, because you can easily substitute it for butter.

Paulaque
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
I use coconut oil for many things, a body moisturizer, a deep conditioning treatment for my hair once a week, I take 2 tbs a day for fibromyalgia and joint pain relief, I use it on my tattoos to keep them from drying out and since it is naturally antiseptic it is perfect! I am always looking for new ways to use it!

jinxnit55
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes! It really is amazing stuff, isn't it? The best cooking oil bar none! It peeves me that the agricultural/industrial food complex manipulates the public about what to eat. They don't care about health, just making profit. Luckily folks are becoming more aware about reading labels and figuring out what is OK (like coconut oil) and what isn't (like HFCS).

AH1OZ
03-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I use coconut oil for many things, a body moisturizer, a deep conditioning treatment for my hair once a week, I take 2 tbs a day for fibromyalgia and joint pain relief, I use it on my tattoos to keep them from drying out and since it is naturally antiseptic it is perfect! I am always looking for new ways to use it!

do you have any links to its beneficial qualities when talking about fibromyalgia? my neighbor suffers horribly, and i would love to be able to send her some links!

if not, i will search for some

Paulaque
03-17-2013, 04:03 PM
...and the last time I had my cholesterol checked (I have been using coconut oil daily for 3 years) my doctor said for a woman as BIG as I am, my good cholesterol was amazing and my bad cholesterol was insignificant, next time I go to the doctor I will get the actual numbers, just never needed them before now.

GrumpyGramma
03-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Gotta know, how do you take it? Do you put it in something or just gag it down from a spoon? If it's good for joints, I have to try it. I read on one web site that it helps with thyroid function and I've never tested higher than just barely w/i the normal range on the low end. I'm willing to give it a try. Where do you get yours? I think Jan says where she got hers from, I'll have to read again to see.

Paulaque
03-17-2013, 05:38 PM
http://coconutoil.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-fibromyalgia-and-coconut-oil/

http://fabulously40.com/post/id/coconut-oil-benefits-for-fibromyalgia-565

http://faithandfibromyalgia.blogspot.com/2011/04/seven-reasons-to-use-coconut-oil.html

I usually fry sweet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes in the oil, but on days that I don't do that, like today, I just take it in my coffee or hot tea

Paulaque
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
also, if she can stand to start, have her begin knitting or crocheting, it really does help keep your mind off the pain, I began knitting 2 or 3 years ago, just to help me deal with the pain.

Jan in CA
03-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Virgin CO is natural and tastes like coconut. Unless I'm using it with chocolate I prefer the refined. The one I get is expeller pressed and not refined with chemicals and is not hydrogenated, and has all the benefits of virgin CO. Post #4 I think.

Since I put it in my coffee or tea I prefer it not to taste like coconut. I use a small frother to emulsify it a bit so it doesn't create the pool of oil. Warning! Start with a small amount so your body can get used to it. 1/2-1 tsp a day and s l o w l y increase. I can, and do, use up to 2T now and I'm fine.

Maybe TMI... It also helps with constipation. :teehee:

I also use Silk vanilla flavor coconut milk to make hot chocolate. Yummy!

Paulaque
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
sorry, didn't see the where did I get mine from part, lol, I get mine from Nature Girls, it is a local health food store. But the type I use can be purchased on the web, too. www.nutiva.com or call (800)993-4367

oh, and I also use it all day long, about 6-10 times a day as lip balm...

Paulaque
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
yes, Jan, and in the case of fibromyalgia, it helps a LOT with the IBS that goes hand in hand with fibro

jinxnit55
03-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Silk Almond milk is great, too. I'm lactose intolerant and so is my adopted daughter, so we use that a lot. We saute and bake with the coconut oil, and I put it in coffee, too, with almond milk.

Paulaque
03-18-2013, 11:46 PM
I like to blend coconut milk with bits of dark chocolate (fibro fog is making me doubt how to spell that), and then freeze it in a ziplock bag, then re-blend it and it is like a shake.

AH1OZ
03-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Our costco recently started carrying LARGE containers of coconut oil (good quality) for $16 - the price is amazing!

Jan in CA
03-19-2013, 01:07 PM
I'll have to check Costco. What brand was it? And how do you know it was good quality? I've heard people say that, but other than making sure it's not refined with chemicals or hydrogenated I'm clueless.

AH1OZ
03-19-2013, 03:47 PM
I'll have to check Costco. What brand was it? And how do you know it was good quality? I've heard people say that, but other than making sure it's not refined with chemicals or hydrogenated I'm clueless.

IT is "Carrington Farms"

it says on the label
"oganic coconut oil. virgin, cold pressed"

its a 1.5kg container

I found this - there are some comments comparing it to nutivia
http://makecoconutnotfat.com/carrington-farms-coconut-oil-unrefined-cold-pressed/

Jan in CA
03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Okay, thanks! I don't like the coconut taste for most things so I get expeller pressed. I'll take a look though. :thumbsup:

jinxnit55
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
We just got a big container at Costco, too. Price can't be beat. The other times I've gotten it at the healthfood store, or off a website 'Vitacost.com.' The one from Vitacost is the Nutiva brand.

Jan in CA
03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
This is the one I usually get.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JFQ36S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jarrow Formula expeller pressed, no chemicals used. Has a neutral taste which I prefer for coffee, etc.

AH1OZ
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Okay, thanks! I don't like the coconut taste for most things so I get expeller pressed. I'll take a look though. :thumbsup:

the one from costco smells like coconut when heated, but i use it to cook eggs and i never notice a coconut taste to my eggs

GrumpyGramma
03-23-2013, 04:24 PM
...made with coconut oil. Delicious! BTW GFCF = gluten free, casein free and some kids with Autism spectrum diagnoses do better on a GFCF diet. My GS is one of them. At DDs house the other day she was making some cookies for her little guy to take to school and I got to try one. Maybe the best peanut butter cookie I ever had. Anyhow...she gave me a container of CO with just a little left in it to try out. I've had some about 3 days in a row I guess. Coincidence I'm sure, but I've slept better the last 2 nights. Surely it's too soon to see a difference. As I forgot to use it in my coffee I made cocoa and stirred it in yesterday and I forgot again today so I had to make cocoa again. This could become a habit. The stuff I have is the kind with no flavor. I'll have DD get me some from Costco, she goes there and I don't.

Jan in CA
03-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh yum! :inlove: PB cookies are one of my favorites!

If you like the flavored one (EVCO- extra virgin co) that's good. I just didn't like coconutty eggs or coffee. :teehee:

I use it in hot chocolate sometimes, too. My favorite is to pour a little of the Silk vanilla coconut milk and a packet of diet hot chocolate in a measuring cup and froth to blend. Then add more co milk and heat. Yummy and rich!

GrumpyGramma
03-23-2013, 05:27 PM
If we're sharing recipes... I just put some sugar, cocoa, and a bit of salt in a cup, mix it with water to fill the mug about 1/3, microwave about 20 seconds, add light soy milk (that's what I"m currently using) to fill the mug and finish heating about 1 1/2 minutes. Too easy, too tasty. I like the light soy a lot better than the regular. I really should remember to use the CO in coffee and skip the hot cocoa most days. Having the oil float on top hasn't really bothered me but I will try what'd you call it? emulsifying? it. Thanks for starting this thread.

Jan in CA
03-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Yes, a frother emulsifies it. If the oil doesn't bother you it's no big deal. One of my DD gave me a frother. I'll have to try the cocoa powder again. I usually use Splenda though.

I agree the light soy milk is better and I always bought Silk vanilla. I only started getting the coconut milk when I decided to add it to my diet. For drinking plain I prefer the vanilla soy milk though.

Forgot to mention...I started sleeping better as well and wasn't sure if it was CO related or just weird coincidence. Interesting!

offgridgirl
03-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Great thead.... I do have some coconut milk to try but will get some solid as well:cheering:

GrumpyGramma
03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
I've used the Silk coconut milk and it was fine, I did notice a slight coconut taste. What I buy will depend on price and currently it's been cheaper to get the Fred Meyer brand of organic. Last time they were out and substituted the Silk light soy for the FM brand and 2/$5 was OK by me. I don't drink it plain. I mostly put it in my coffee. I'm trying to eliminate more and more of the dairy products such as whey that show up in so many things. I've not yet decided I'll give up butter...hey, it's nothing but the fat anyhow! In about a week I think I'll cut back on the turmeric I take and see if my joints complain.

Last summer I used a can of coconut milk, the stuff that you pretty much have to scoop out of the can, some almond milk, chocolate and sugar and made some non-dairy "ice cream" that was a big hit. My SIL tasted it and got the ice cream attachment for the KitchenAid! The stuff was kind of like fudgesicles. It won't keep though. :teehee: It disappears really fast.

Jan in CA
03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I didn't care for store brands of soy milk so I stuck to vanilla Silk. The Silk CO milk does taste coconutty in coffee which I also don't care for so I stick to the CO that doesn't taste and drink it black now. The flavored one is yummy with the hot chocolate though! I have a sweet tooth. :teehee:

Coconut oil is a solid at temps below 74 then it starts to liquefy. Last fall it was liquid most of the time. I've just learned to melt it or just use it solid like on my face at night.

Mmm..ice cream! I haven't had ice cream for years. I'm pretty much dairy free due to lactose intolerance. There's the occasional treat like frozen yogurt though. And cheddar and greek yogurt are low lactose so I have those.

vaknitter
03-23-2013, 08:36 PM
This thread intrigues me b/c as I mentioned my youngest son is not a great sleeper and I've been told that coconut oil has some of the same components as breastmilk (he is breastfed) and therefore helps infants sleep sounder. My question is where do I find reliable information about whether or not it is safe to give an infant? I can find sites that say it is and others say not. I can ask when we see the pedi in April, but would love some sleep btwn now and then .....

GrumpyGramma
03-23-2013, 08:41 PM
This thread intrigues me b/c as I mentioned my youngest son is not a great sleeper and I've been told that coconut oil has some of the same components as breastmilk (he is breastfed) and therefore helps infants sleep sounder. My question is where do I find reliable information about whether or not it is safe to give an infant? I can find sites that say it is and others say not. I can ask when we see the pedi in April, but would love some sleep btwn now and then .....

How old is your son and how much does he sleep? Does he tend to sleep more in the daytime or nighttime? Is it possible something you are eating is not good for him?

Jan in CA
03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
IMO some babies and kids just aren't good sleepers. . I suspect it wouldn't be good for ingestion for be good unless mixed properly mixed. Oily substances can cause coughing and a bit of a choking feeling. Ask your doctor.

Also forgot to mention this... Some people go through what is sometimes called a crisis or healing crisis. For a week or so you can get a stuffy nose, coughing and feel like you're sick. You may be, but some people aren't. I had this when I started oil pulling, but I'd also had a cold so I never knew for sure. I'm fine and healthy now. :)

jinxnit55
03-24-2013, 03:12 PM
We like Silk, also almond milk and we've even tried hemp milk (both daughter and I are lactose intolerant). The soy milk still bugs me a little, so we use a lot of almond.

We also get LandOLakes butter that is made with olive oil, which I figure is better for us, hopefully, but this morning I had cinnamon raisin toast with real butter. I went through a long time w/o using any butter at all, so I have some every now and then. Moderation!

We make hot cocoa with almond milk, Van Houten's cocoa powder, and a little honey. You have to whip it, because the cocoa doesn't have emulsifiers in it. I never thought of adding coconut oil to it, but now I will. It always gets topped with the guilty pleasure of whipped cream, though.

I think a lot of heart disease is caused by processed foods and sugar (alas, I LOVE sugar, but now that I'm in my 50s I limit it as much as I can).

Jan in CA
03-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Yep, I also don't eat many processed foods or sugar. Sugar raises triglycerides and processed foods well, every knows about those. They raise everything including weight. :zombie:

I tried almond milk and wasn't thrilled with it. I'm fairly picky so that's no surprise. :teehee:

GrumpyGramma
03-24-2013, 08:11 PM
You know what? After just a few days I really do think I'm feeling better. I've made no significant changes other than adding the coconut oil daily and my knees bend better without complaining. I've been sleeping better. I feel more alert. Realistically the sleeping better would make me feel more alert and the brighter, longer days will help with sleeping and feeling more alert. However, I think the coconut oil is a contributing factor and I'm going to keep it up. :thumbsup: Thanks, Jan, for starting this thread and everyone else who has contributed.

I thought the reference to oil pulling was a typo or autocorrect or something but I googled it. Interesting. Something else to consider trying.

jinxnit55
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
I pretty much do the same thing with yogurt, cheese, etc. For some reason, soy milk is similar to milk for me. I'm sure it's something other than lactose, but, still same outcome.

I can do a small amount of dairy, actually, but if I exceed a certain threshold, then, my intestines rebel.

GrumpyGramma
03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Guess what? I did deep knee bends today and barely a complaint from my knees! I think CO is in my daily routine for good!

Jan in CA
03-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Wow, GG! That's awesome! How much are you taking?

GrumpyGramma
03-29-2013, 12:02 AM
I get a teaspoon from my silverware drawer and scoop out a rounded spoonful. The CO is solid and not packed down but very well rounded, so may 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. My DD gave me the ends of 2 cans. This is the "deodorized" stuff, the other is not "deodorized" and more liquidy so I'll be able to measure it more accurately, more easily. I honestly didn't think it would help so I wasn't real careful about measuring. I think I'll start being more careful. Today I also decided to cut my 4 caps of turmeric back to 3.

I know it's spring now, the days are longer and there is more daylight, we even had sun today and some other days since I started taking the CO daily. Spring and longer days make me feel better. I haven't noticed this much difference so rapidly before so I'm even doing better besides physically. I can't give too much credit to the weather for my joints doing better simply because it's still been damp and rainy and that contributes to more problems.

I've been thinking of other ways of taking the CO. Mixed with something...peanut butter?

Jan in CA
03-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Yeah, slowly increase. You may be getting more like two tsp. now in a rounded spoon like that. I get about two Tbl. Only put it in my coffee. Also oil pull with about 1.5 tsp.

I read a book called Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife on my Kindle. Library might have it if you're interested. I've read an oil pulling one by the same author. I'm not one of those people who believes everything I read, but the science and reasoning made sense. I do think my arthritis is better from the two things I do. I take less pain meds most days. And I am sleeping better most nights, too.

PB? Hmm.. Worth a try I guess. I try to avoid bread most of the time so I'd miss out.

The biggest thing I'm curious about now is how it will affect my cholesterol. Even though it does react differently inthe body since its an MCT it is a fat. I'll keep you posted if I ever get to the doc.

GrumpyGramma
03-29-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm not one of those people who believes everything I read,same here. I figure there are things that if I can't see any reason they'll do me harm, try them for a few weeks and see what happens. I knew you weren't the type to try every snake oil and miracle cure that comes along, so I gave real thought to what you said, did some reading of my own, gave it a go. I've slept every night since I started taking the stuff and I wake up feeling like I have slept. I'm still skeptical about how much the CO contributes to what benefits I've noticed, but at this point I'm going to continue with it. If it really has helped my knees, hands, sleeping, and overall feeling better, it's amazing stuff! I look forward to hearing what your cholesterol numbers are.

Jan in CA
03-29-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm still skeptical about how much the CO contributes to what benefits I've noticed, but at this point I'm going to continue with it. If it really has helped my knees, hands, sleeping, and overall feeling better, it's amazing stuff! I look forward to hearing what your cholesterol numbers are.

Thanks!

And my feeling on whether it works for some of these things is to keep taking it unless I hear otherwise it's a problem. If it continues and isn't just a natural fluctuation and nothing else has changed it makes sense. Weirdly, I seem to be noticing my neck hurts more when I eat bread...hmmm. I read a book (surprised? Lol) called Wheat Belly that makes me wonder...

GrumpyGramma
03-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Gluten. You may have a sensitivity to gluten. Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, and at least one or two other grains I don't recall right now. Sensitivities are not the same as allergies, if you have a sensitivity to a certain food you might not be actually allergic to it and it would not show up in an allergy test. Food sensitivities can affect not only physical things such as a pain in the neck, but moods and emotional outbursts (OMG did my DS have those! from chicken, chicken eggs, tomatoes, peanuts, and dairy anything!) Also, when we don't eat gluten and dairy products for any length of time our bodies get so they don't want to deal with digesting them at all and the things they trigger become more pronounced when we do consume them. So...the less dairy products I eat, the less I can tolerate them when I do eat them. It's amazing how many foods contain gluten in an ingredient in the food, such as soy sauce and some flavorings derived from wheat. My DD's kitchen is GFCF, gluten-free casein-free, so no dairy, wheat, rye....

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods-allergy-intolerance

Paulaque
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
my aunt's doc told her to use coconut oil twice a day as a deoderant, I have been waiting 2 weeks to report to you all that it works, and does not have anything harmful in it!

Jan in CA
04-24-2013, 07:28 PM
I've heard that Paula, but oil in my pits just sounds icky. :teehee: I was using CO on my face at night, but it's still tending to make me break out a bit. I'm sure that is part of the healing process, but it's my face! I hate zits! I know it goes away eventually so maybe I'll just deal with it. Don't know.

GG, I wondered about that. I eat low carb so get relatively little wheat/gluten now which is probably why it seems to stand out. I plan Togo wheat free this summer, but with DDand fiancÚ here it's proven to be more difficult so low is all I can do right now. Maybe once I'm used to it it'll be easier.

I don't eat much dairy now due to lactose intolerance. I can eat a small piece of cheddar with no problem and Yogurtland frozen yogurt (in reasonable amounts), and greek yogurt so other than lactose dairy isn't an issue. Cheddar is aged so has lactose, Greek is fermented longer with the same results so maybe that's why for me.

GrumpyGramma
04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
OK, Paula, I'm trying to be open minded here but as Jan said...still something makes the stick deodorants smear on, it must be some sort of oil or something. Apparently CO is anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial. It makes sense it would work.

Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 78 fl. oz. @ Costco, $22. DD picked it up for me, then pulled a switcheroo and gave me one she already had because it's expiry date is earlier than the latest purchase. Works for me. The stuff I was using originally was past pull date but seemed just fine. As she said, I'll use it up faster than she will and there's no point in having it sit around longer than necessary. I plan to start using it in cooking now I'm not hoarding a small jar of it. I don't think I'll put it on my face; anything that claims to moisturize makes me break out. I might, just not now. I wonder how it would work on owies.

Today I've indulged in Almond Joy pieces because we couldn't find the candy bars. I had a nasty headache and they work to make it go away too. I don't like them, don't like Almond Joy candy bars, but they make the pain go away. One of my DD's midwives said they worked for her too.

Jan in CA
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
I love Almond Joy, but try not to eat so much sugar which is also carby. :) Interesting about the headaches!

I get a 32oz CO from Amazon for $13. I have Amazon Prime so free two day shipping, too! Of course I don't get that type your DD gets. I prefer the one with no flavor. It's still organic, but expeller pressed with no solvents used.

CO works great on ingrown hairs and other owies. I wouldn't use it on a cut at first although it may be fine. I've just used it onthe ingrown hair and a cat scratch.

GrumpyGramma
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
I have a spot of irritated skin that my clothes rub and it just doesn't seem to go away. I put a bit of CO on it and it feels so much better! I'll do it again tonight I think and tomorrow a.m. and again later.

My head is no longer hurting and the migraine hangover is already easing off. I figure the sugar is a small trade off for pain relief.

Jan in CA
04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Oh of course! I don't get migraines, but I know others who do. Anything that helps is worth trying and since it's not a drug it's even better! And I know others don't follow my way of eating. :)

GrumpyGramma
04-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Yup. We all do what we can, the best we can to take care of business, don't we? My irritated skin still feels better.

fatoldladyinpjs
04-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Got to disagree, Virgin coconut oil is not a saturated fat, it is monounsaturated. Unlike a lot of triglycerides we ingest, which are "long chain triglycerides," coconut oil is a "medium chain" triglyceride. It is very easily digested, in fact, it is used in the hospital to tube feed seriously ill patients, also used in baby formulas.
Coconut oil got lumped in with bad saturated fats in the 1980s by the crafty soybean industry. They figured that if they could get everybody afraid of saturated fats, they could sell more vegetable oil. You SHOULD be afraid of saturated fats, but coconut oil isn't one of them! Sadly, to this day, coconut oil is still believed by many to be a 'bad fat,' when it's actually super healthy for anybody. Good for weight loss, Crohn's disease, myriad digestive problems, as well as skin and hair, it has antimicrobial effects. It is super easy to digest, in fact pancreatic enzymes aren't even needed to break it down, so it doesn't get absorbed through the intestines and into the blood stream directly. Instead it goes through portal vein to the liver where it supplies glycogen for energy.
We use it for baking, because you can easily substitute it for butter.

FYI, coconut oil is the secret ingredient in the movie popcorn we all love.

I personally have been trying to lose weight and get healthy. I've been reading a lot about oils. Interesting history. Everyone used to use lard and butter at the turn of the 20th century. Then came Thomas Edison's light bulb. Everyone wanted their homes wired for electricity. This left a big lamp oil manufacturer (I think it was Johnson and Johnson) stuck with warehouses full of cotton oil that no one wanted and on the verge of bankruptcy. They put their chemists to work on finding another use for it and produced Crisco shortening. Of course, the old standbys had to be demonized to sell their product.

In the 1950's, a Professor Keyes published scientific reports to show that the so called "heart healthy oils" were better than butter and lard. He outright lied on the reports for commercial gain. Incidents of cancer and heart disease have increased 70% from when the study came out compared to the "unhealthy" but natural fats.

The health food industry took soy and enhanced it to be palatable for the consumer. It was formerly only good for cattle feed. I asked an old farmer why this came about. He said about this time the bottom dropped out of the corn market and it became profitable to plant soy instead. Farmers were desperate.

My son's girlfriend eats processed soy health food products and complains about her stomach. Well, stop eating soy. I had to change my pets' dog and cat food recently. The company I've been faithful to for 13 years because they didn't put soy in it, sneaked it in there. I thought something was funny but attributed it to my cats getting old. They throw up five minutes after eating it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

I just about died when I found out how canola oil is made. Many of the other heart healthy oils are similar (but not natural coconut oil). The grape seed is genetically altered and loaded with pesticides. When it comes to the factory, it's processed with hexane (same chemical used to process gasoline). This leaves a waxy coating on it, so it has to be removed with an acid. Then it's bleached to make the color acceptable to humans. This is what we ingest. It's in almost everything along with soy meal as a filler to cut corners. It's overkill, like trying to kill a fly with an elephant gun. It's in margarine. It's the main ingredient in vegetable oil. It's the main thing in almost all snack and processed foods. I don't want to be dictated to by someone as to what's good for me. I want a choice. I've begun to read labels, become more educated, and take back my life by cooking from scratch with all natural ingredients.

One more thing I want to add is gluten free foods. Again, genetically altered, loaded with pesticides, and processed so much that all the nutritive value is gone. Anyway, I'm done with my rant now. But I'm really upset that no one is telling us this just so they can make a buck. I'm resolved to be more of a label reader and take back my own health, not what someone else dictates to me.

Jan in CA
04-26-2013, 10:37 PM
From what I've read CO is no longer in movie popcorn. Like every other restaurant, or frankenfood we eat they were all pressured to use "heart healthy" oils. Want an eye opener...read Wheat Belly and see what happened to wheat. He's only one writer I know, but he's not the only one to point it out.

We don't have any type of vegetable oil in the house. Pretty much all we use is olive oil for cooking. Since we steam or sorta wok veggies it's perfect. Most meats are grilled. We eat very simply.

Paulaque
04-27-2013, 03:16 AM
well, I put some CO in my old stick deoderant thingamajiggy, and have been using it, no oily pits, don't put on too much. It has made my pits so much softer, and this may take some more research, but usually I have to shave both legs and pits at the same time, shaved my legs last night in the bath, went to shave my pits, and sat there trying to remember if I broke habit and shaved them already. I will let ya'll know as soon as I know for sure, but I am almost certain I ain't shaved, so maybe it keeps the hair from growing too much, too? IDK, but I intend to find out!