PDA

View Full Version : FO: Nell, a cabled winter coat

ArtLady1981
03-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Finally finished this puppy! It took just a couple weeks for the knitting, but I stalled for a long time with blocking, and finishing.

Anyway, I had a heart attack when I tried it on after it was seamed, and the collar was knit.
The coat fit like a hot mess, mostly having to do with the seams.

Back to the blocking table. I pinned down all those seams...side seams, armhole seams and shoulder seams. I pinned them down but good. Then misted them all, then laid soppy terry cloths on top. Let it all sit there for a week, lifted the terry cloths, and allowed the seams to air dry from there.

Tonight I pulled up my boot straps and tried the coat on. Voila. Everything was perfect. Of course, I have to roll up my sleeve cuffs one turn. I was hoping I had shorted the sleeves enough, but I guess not. The fit of the shoulder seam it sorta 'dropped', and it let the sleeves fall farther down. But, this kind of coat looks perfectly fine with the cuffs.

This coat was knit with a very inexpensive bulky weight yarn from www.elann.com (http://www.elann.com). It's their house brand "Peruvian Highland Bulky". It's a single ply. I do love it. This grey is really nice, it's sorta heathered.

I love my buttons. I made a 23 mile trip to a LYS that is famous for having great buttons. My buttons are wood. I like the shape. I chose black because they are more rustic looking than any silver or pewter button I saw. The metal buttons all looked too dressy for this coat. The shop girl was very helpful in giving me feedback to base a decision on. The buttons are black, but that's okay, because I'll wear this coat with a black skirt and boots, or black jeans. Black scarf, black cabled hat.

The collar lays down the back of my neck. I just couldn't figure out how to pose it laying on the floor.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8538227811_79fac3696d_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8103/8538223607_aa118b19f8.jpg

This is the Back of the coat:
http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/ArtLady/129591616/IMG_2832_medium.JPG

Here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/nell)are my project notes if you care to learn more about the pattern, etc.
Nell is a design in the Rowan book called AMBER, A Winter Gathering.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8242/8539570977_3bc3f401dd_n.jpg

salmonmac
03-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Beautiful in all its cabled glory. Yes, the wooden buttons are in the spirit of the coat. Enjoy wearing it with the contrasting black clothes and accessories. That's a striking combination.
Another work of art!

JudyD
03-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Truly a winner! Beautiful work :heart: :heart: :heart:

Judy

Lighting57
03-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Everything was prefect. Of Course. said she, "Well OF COURSE it was. Artlady always ends up with a perfect finished item. I wish I should be so great at knitting. :)

All of the above was stated in good humor so please don't think otherwise. It marvels me how you continue to churn out so many finished items while I seem to get so little done. As always, this jacket like everything else is beautiful.

nonny2t
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
It sounds trite to say it is lovely as everything you do is always lovely. I love the grey color it will go with so many things. You did another fabulous job.

Antares
03-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your knitted works of art with us!

GrumpyGramma
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
To have that not fit would be a heart attack inducer! I wouldn't want to be that coat when you said: Time out in wet towels until you fit right! LOL Lovely, beautiful, and very useful. What more could anyone ask?

Jan in CA
03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
That is beautiful!! I'm glad you got it to work out by more blocking. :thumbsup:

MerigoldinWA
03-10-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm glad you were able to get it to behave. It looks just beautiful and would be a pity if it didn't come out the way you wanted it to. You are definitely the cable queen. You do such great, and prolific cables. The black buttons look just right.

ABC's Mom
03-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Beautifully done as always!!!
How did you keep the sweater from getting smelly with wet towels over it for a week?

GrumpyGramma
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Beautifully done as always!!!
How did you keep the sweater from getting smelly with wet towels over it for a week?

I wondered the same thing but since I don't block things, using acrylic yarn as I do, I thought maybe that's why I don't know.

ArtLady1981
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM

That's a good question. :thumbsup:

All I can come up with is this: I thoroughly soak my pieces in a very high quality fiber wash and rinse before blocking them, before seaming them. I allow each piece to soak in the fiber wash for about 15 minutes, then gently squeeze the water through them. Then repeat the same thing using the fiber rinse. So, I'm thinking...being so thoroughly clean, free of contaminants...perhaps that's why my wool coat didn't become smelly. Plus, the terry cloths that I plopped on top of them have never been used on the human body. No residue of human skin cells, or oils, etc. They are white, and I do not use them on anything but my knitting...like to block the seams and buttonbands, if needed, after the fact. IMO...Finishing is as important as the knitting itself.

Here's a write-up about the Unicorn (brand name) Fiber Wash and Fiber Rinse:

Created to protect and maintain the beauty of all fibers...from raw fleece and yarns, to your most cherished hand-knit possessions.
Gently deep cleans embedded dirt and staining
Optimizes cleaning with less tangling and matting
Softens scratchy yarns
Removes odor-causing contaminants trapped within fiber
Non-yellowing – No fillers
Biodegradable – Earth FriendlyYou'll notice it mentions: "removes odor-causing contaminants trapped within fiber".

You should see the wash water after soaking undyed natural cream Malabrigo sweater pieces! What you thought was cream yarn...renders enough filth to make you ill. I knit this Malabrigo sweater several years ago, and I was so shocked at the state of the wash water I just had to take photos of it!
http://images4.ravelrycache.com/uploads/ArtLady/132278623/dirty_malabrigo_medium.jpg
Can you even believe it? I knit fast and furious, so my yarns didn't become
dirty from knitting something over two years.

This Unicorn Fiber Wash really does clean, without injuring the fibers. Right now, the Unicorn people seem to be offering free samples. You'll see the offer on their Home Page. Click here. (http://www.unicornfibre.com/)

My wash water from the Nell (grey coat) also rendered dirt...although not as much dirt as that undyed natural Malabrigo! I have read that the dying process itself removes a lot of dirt. But only something like a quality fiber wash will remove the unseen contaminants and icky stuff from animal fiber yarns.

Another factor in behalf of using a quality fiber wash prior to seaming: if you left this 'unseen' dirt and filth in the yarn, it has to grind on your yarn. Wouldn't you think so? :think:

Here is the Malabrigo set:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/2917138533_b797ef0a74_z.jpg

Here is the matching cami-tank, before I had soaked it in the fiber wash and rinse.
It looks clean, doesn't it? But it also rendered just as much filth! Unbelievable.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2861038768_9f6916efab_z.jpg

I knit the jacket from beginning to end, then decided to knit a matching cami-tank to wear with it, using the same cable for the band, then seaming it into a band, then picking up stitches along one edge, and knitting down in-the-round, then knitting the ribbing. Then the i-cord straps.

Jan in CA
03-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the info about Unicorn. It cost $2.07 for the shipping, but that's a small price to pay to try it.

ArtLady1981
03-11-2013, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the info about Unicorn. It cost $2.07 for the shipping, but that's a small price to pay to try it.

Great! I'm glad you're going to try it, Jan!

You see that photo of the wash water from my cream Malabrigo sweater pieces....well, even more dirt came out in the rinse water! But, despite the powerful cleaning abilities, the Unicorn Wash and Rinse is very gentle on the yarn!

I know you'll love it. Psst: it just takes a small quantity. Follow the directions. Don't be tempted to use too much.

ABC's Mom
03-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Great! I'm glad you're going to try it, Jan!

You see that photo of the wash water from my cream Malabrigo sweater pieces....well, even more dirt came out in the rinse water! But, despite the powerful cleaning abilities, the Unicorn Wash and Rinse is very gentle on the yarn!

I know you'll love it. Psst: it just takes a small quantity. Follow the directions. Don't be tempted to use too much.

I've been using Woolite before blocking things. Guess I'll try the kind you use to see if there is a difference.
Thanks for the info.

Nanaof6
03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
@ ArtLady 1981 Your cabled sweater is stunning.You do superb work !

I have the same yarn sitting here waiting for me to knit DH a Basketcase Jacket but I know he would rather have this one. Is this an Elizabeth Zimmermans? I made three jackets so far and each one of them needed a 'Garment Stitch' in the shoulders. This will help with them growing when it's a heavy piece. I use a matching color in a strong cotton yarn.

salmonmac
03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
I agree wholeheartedly about time spent finishing a knit project. You've already invested money and precious time in the knitting. Why skimp at the finishing, blocking and washing?

justplaincharlotte
03-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Phenomenally beautiful work, ArtLady! You're a knitting goddess!:knitting:

ArtLady1981
03-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I have the same yarn sitting here waiting for me to knit DH a Basketcase Jacket but I know he would rather have this one.Is this an Elizabeth Zimmermans? I made three jackets so far and each one of them needed a 'Garment Stitch' in the shoulders. This will help with them growing when it's a heavy piece. I use a matching color in a strong cotton yarn.

Are you asking about my Nell pattern, or the Viveca pattern (the white one I shared as reference about the dirt that comes out of a project).

My Nell is in a Rowan Book.
My Viveca is in a Elsebeth Lavold book.

I don't knit Elizabeth Zimmerman designs. Not saying she's not great...just sayin.
I just haven't found an EZ design that beckons me.

Hmmm...garment stitch, eh? Wonder what that is? Never heard of it in contemporary patterns. Maybe it's just plain mattress stitch?

Well, now I'll have to google it! :thumbsup: It sounds very interesting!

ArtLady1981
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
PS: Garment Stitch looks like it's Mattress Stitch by another name. Click here. (http://www.lanagrossa.com/service/stricktipps/stricktipp_maschenstich.html)

Paulaque
03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
absolute art! I cannot even think of anything more to say!

ArtLady1981
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
I wore the coat last Sunday for some volunteer non-profit work we participate in.It was cold and drizzly. It kept me so cozy! I was wearing that new garnet red Hallett's Ledge cardigan with it, black skirt, black boots, black gloves, scarf & hat. The three colors....black, grey, dark red....looked real good together. I was worried about grey looking good on me, but this worked really well!

I shoulda taken a photo, but by the time I got home, I was a wreck. Warm, colorful, but still wrecked. Not a photo friendly day.

Nanaof6
03-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Sorry, I was asking about the cabled grey jacket. The garment stitch I used was added after the piece was together and I used a crochet hook and went into the body at the shoulder seam and picked up my stitches and crocheted like a change stitch,( loosely) , is the best I can explain it, but it totally stabilized the whole piece .

Nanaof6
03-12-2013, 11:57 PM
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4558/garmentstitch.jpg

This is what it looks like

Nanaof6
03-13-2013, 12:01 AM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7759/arancoatbyez.jpg

This EZ'S Aran Coat . I am not a EZ fan but this is on my list of must knit. I knitted her Tomten Jacket and it took me awhile to get it done because she doesn't have a normal written pattern to follow so I missed a couple of key points along the way and had to frog things back a few times

ArtLady1981
03-13-2013, 03:15 AM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7759/arancoatbyez.jpg

This EZ'S Aran Coat . I am not a EZ fan but this is on my list of must knit. I knitted her Tomten Jacket and it took me awhile to get it done because she doesn't have a normal written pattern to follow so I missed a couple of key points along the way and had to frog things back a few times

Thanks for both of those links, Nana! The EZ jacket looks very similar to my Nell jacket doesn't it!? But mine has no pockets, no hood. There was a belt called for...but belts are a waste of time for my jackets. A belt just hangs down the sides, and/or becomes lost somewhere.

The link that shows that special crocheted chain stitch to fortify the shoulder seams (and armhole seams?) is a great photo. How is it done again? After the should is mattress seamed, then you double back and work that crochet chain?? :??

salmonmac
03-13-2013, 08:06 AM
I like the idea of stabilizing the shoulder but I've never tried a crochet chain. I loved 3 needle bind off from the first time I tried it because it gives such a neat, sturdy seam and even looks good on the outside. I'll have to try the crochet chain too.

Nanaof6
03-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I hope that I am not confusing some of you with the crocheted stitch. I'll do my best to explain what I did.

I knitted the EZ'S Tomten Jacket and my knitting instructor highly suggested using this idea because the piece was stretchering/growing . The photo shows this stitch from the inside of the sleeve and shoulder.

The making of the sleeves was done by picking up said amount of stitches from the right front panel and back panel (same on both sides) then using a wrap and turn st you knit to desired length.

When I had finished my DH'S Jacket he felt that it was getting longer and not feeling stable in the shoulders. I was shown how to go into the finished project with a good sturdy cotton yarn and pick up stitches along the body piece not the sleeve, by inserting my crochet hook in to each st on the outer edge from the INSIDE of the piece only(where sleeve meets body)starting at the front lower armpit area pick up my cotton yarn and pull it through the existing stitches that make the jacket and form a chain stitch , go into the next stitch and form a chain stitch, repeat up to shoulder up and over and down the back side and back to the back lower armpit area. You are adding the garment stabling stitches after the whole project has been completed in the shoulder area only. Chain stitches need to be some what loose, but not to loose.

I looked for a video online to show how to do this but there is not one . I really need to learn how to make one and post this because this stabilizing trick truly saved my DH'S jacket

ArtLady1981
03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
I hope that I am not confusing some of you with the crocheted stitch. I'll do my best to explain what I did.

I knitted the EZ'S Tomten Jacket and my knitting instructor highly suggested using this idea because the piece was stretchering/growing . The photo shows this stitch from the inside of the sleeve and shoulder. The finished sleeve was done by picking up said amount of stitches from the right front panel and back panel (same on both sides) then using a wrap and turn st you knit to desired length. When I had finished my DH'S Jacket he felt that it was getting longer and not feeling stable in the shoulders. I was shown how to go into the finished project with a good sturdy cotton yarn and pick up stitches along the body piece not the sleeve by inserting my crochet hook in to each sl st on the outer edge starting at the front lower armpit area pick up my cotton yarn and pull it through the existing stitches that make the jacket and form a chain stitch , go into the next stitch and form a chain stitch, repeat up to shoulder up and over and down the back side and back to the back lower armpit area. You are adding the garment stabling stitches after the whole project has been completed in the shoulder area only.

I looked for a video online to show how to do this but there is not one . I really need to learn how to make one and post this because this stabilizing trick truly saved my DH'S jacket

This is what I envisioned I would do. Adding the stabilizing crochet chain after the fact. Thanks for contributing all of the helpful info, and links!

GrumpyGramma
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
That seems pretty clear to me. Thanks for telling us how to do it. One question, does this show much on the outside? Your picture shows you used yarn in a similar color and I'm sure that would help.

Nanaof6
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
That seems pretty clear to me. Thanks for telling us how to do it. One question, does this show much on the outside? Your picture shows you used yarn in a similar color and I'm sure that would help. No, this doesn't show on the Public Side, if it does then you did it wrong. Because it's done on the inside or Wrong Side I'm guessing any color you have on hand will work. I'm sorry I went back and edit the post to state this work is done from the inside of the piece only, thank you.

Nanaof6
03-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I like the idea of stabilizing the shoulder but I've never tried a crochet chain. I loved 3 needle bind off from the first time I tried it because it gives such a neat, sturdy seam and even looks good on the outside. I'll have to try the crochet chain too. The 3 needle bo wouldn't have worked on this project . I've used the 3 needle bo as well and it does give a great looking seam.