PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's been knitting?

sheldon
03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
And crocheting?

ME! :cheering:

Yes. It's true. After nearly a decade of working on KnittingHelp.com, I have finally succumb to the needles. I have knit here and there in the past, but I never got past just your basic knit stitch english style. I used Amy's videos and taught myself continental knitting and purling. My first finished project was a simple cotton dishcloth from this pattern:

http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html

From there, I was craving something a little more complex, but not too big and I made this little card holder which I gave to my daughter Erin.

So with this project I got some experience with cables, alternating knit and purl and keeping my place within the pattern repeat. I also got good at frogging my work back when I knitted from the wrong line of the pattern. It was a real confidence builder for me.

This pattern is called the Card-igan, and it's supposed to be a gift card holder. I posted it up on our FB page a few weeks:

http://www.simplynotable.com/2011/gift-card-igans/

Now I am getting into crochet a little bit. The Denise Needle folks sent us a set of their crochet hooks and I made a swatch of Tunisian simple stitch and I crocheted my first granny square. I am now working on a crochet hat for Erin. Here's the a pic of the progress.

I'm very excited to be doing all this. It feels like I have come full circle. Seeing that I am married to an expert knitter and have a house full of yarn at my disposal, I figured I would take full advantage of the situation. I am also giving Amy some insights into the mind of the beginning knitter which is useful for her video concepts. Only good things can come of all this.

So in closing, you may end up hearing more from me as I post my progress here on KH. With all this knitting and crocheting, I just hope it leaves enough time to work on all my KH website projects. :mrgreen:

Sheldon

Antares
03-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Good on you! Great looking card-igan (nifty idea, that) and hat--I would never suspect that you're a beginner.

And just WOW! You're learning to knit and crochet in quick succession here. Very impressive indeed.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your completed projects, and I'm glad that not only are you keeping our beloved site up and running, but now you're also a part of the wonderful crafts of knitting and crochet!

By the way, Amy actually shares her yarn with you? Now THAT must be true love! (Would I share my yarn with my husband? Hmmmmm??? Thinking . . . thinking . . . he might have to go get his own!)

salmonmac
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
It's impossible not to share your excitement, enthusiasm and joy at you first projects! Congrats on such terrific knitting and crocheting, The hat and the cardy look wonderful.

GrumpyGramma
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
:thumbsup: Sheldon, that's terrific, you're even knitting the *right* way! LOL I knit Continental and for me it's the right way because it works. Your projects look really wonderful. I expect to hear about a baby blanket, sweater, or something soon. How many kids can say that Daddy knitted their first blanket? Crochet is cool too. I'm glad you're also enjoying that. Erin will be lovely in her new hat. She's lovely anyway, what better way to show off your new skills?

sheldon
03-09-2013, 04:21 PM
:thumbsup: Sheldon, that's terrific, you're even knitting the *right* way! LOL I knit Continental and for me it's the right way because it works.

Continental just makes more sense for me. It also analogous to how one holds the yarn in crochet. If I were to guess, I'd say crocheters are probably mostly continental knitters.

Amy likes to say that there is no right or wrong way when it comes to English vs. Continental. The right way is which ever way works for you. Previously, when I have knit I did do English, just because the mechanics made it easier to get the yarn through. But watching Amy speedily knitting continental and effortlessly switching between knit and purl stitches compelled me to learn continental.

Jan in CA
03-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Congratulations, Sheldon! I saw the picture of you knitting on FB and was hoping you'd share with the forum! :thumbsup:

butlersabroad
03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
That's fantastic! I like how it *only* took you 10 years to get more serious about it! :happydance:

GrumpyGramma
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Continental just makes more sense for me. It also analogous to how one holds the yarn in crochet. If I were to guess, I'd say crocheters are probably mostly continental knitters.

Amy likes to say that there is no right or wrong way when it comes to English vs. Continental. The right way is which ever way works for you. Previously, when I have knit I did do English, just because the mechanics made it easier to get the yarn through. But watching Amy speedily knitting continental and effortlessly switching between knit and purl stitches compelled me to learn continental.

I've thought the same thing about crocheters preferrring Continental, but really I'm not at all sure anymore. It seems from reading here that there may well be just as many who prefer English. I hope you realize I was kidding when I said you're knitting the *right* way. The only right way to knit is the way that works best for the individual knitter. As long as the yarn gets round the needle and and pulled through to form a new stitch, it's right, right? I wouldn't care if someone used their teeth and toes somehow, if it worked, it would be right. I've been envious of people who can knit both Continental and English, but now I can actually knit and purl English and feel pretty darned good about it. Purling English was nearly impossible for me, the knit stitch was something I could almost do reasonably well. I must soon try two colors of yarn since that's why I was determined to learn both. After I get more comfortable with what I've already learned I just might try Portugese knitting. Tunisian crochet is calling my name too, and it's getting louder so I think I just might start another Tunisian project soon. I'm not really an addict to yarn arts, I can put it down and walk away any time I want. It will be waiting for me when I come back. :mrgreen:

Has anyone else here tried interlocking crochet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTvTczBXBdo)? I found it really interesting and rather fun. I made a hot pink and bright yellow blanket for my GD. With those colors, I couldn't get it finished and away from me fast enough but she loves it.

Becky Morgan
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Has anyone else here tried interlocking crochet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTvTczBXBdo)?

I found an afghan kit years ago, and it was really interesting. When I mentioned it to James Walters, who used to be on the CompuServe Crafts Forum, he had a class on it, but I couldn't see it because we were on dial-up. He says you don't have to stop at two colors, either. That just about made my head explode :roflhard:

barbarajo
03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm really liking your card-igan and think this is a good way for me to learn something new in knitting on a small scale. I'm very interested in cable but it's been intimidating me for so long! Crocheting is my comfort zone, so when knitting gets me down I go back to crochet. What I need is smaller things so it won't irritate me...your card-gan should do that, thanks!

GrumpyGramma
03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I found an afghan kit years ago, and it was really interesting. When I mentioned it to James Walters, who used to be on the CompuServe Crafts Forum, he had a class on it, but I couldn't see it because we were on dial-up. He says you don't have to stop at two colors, either. That just about made my head explode :roflhard:

I've only done the one thing in interlocking crochet but it was fun, in spite of the colors. I've only found the one site that has much about it and I'm not in the market to buy what she sells. I can't see why using more colors wouldn't be just fine.

Ingrid
03-11-2013, 08:49 PM
It's a real test of a marriage when two knitters share one stash. Tread lightly, Sheldon!!:guyknitting::tap:

Jeremy
03-11-2013, 09:10 PM
It's a real test of a marriage when two knitters share one stash. Tread lightly, Sheldon!!:guyknitting::tap:

My wife and I have done well over the years with exception of the one time she tried to crochet my silk with some acrylic yarn.

Beautiful work Sheldon.:thumbsup:

ABC's Mom
03-15-2013, 09:17 PM

Most right handed crocheters may be Continental knitters, but not sure about us lefties!! We learned to crochet left handed so hold the working yarn in our right hand. I haven't been able to convince my hands, nor my brain to try and switch!!
Congrats on your swift learning. Must be watching Amy all this time rubbed off on you.:wink:

ArtLady1981
03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Way to go, Sheldon! You've been Baptized!

A high quality LYS I began to frequent in 2003 was owned, operated and managed by a young married couple, Amy and Emmett Skaar. It was very encouraging to visit the shop, and there at the counter was Emmett, busily knitting away on an Elsebeth Lavold Viking Knits pullover, using beautiful stitch markers on the row!

The LYS experience was made richer by the participation of a man!

Welcome to our world, Sheldon!